Jump to content

Portal SZN


Dawg83
 Share

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Dawg83 said:

State is probably going to be really bad on defense next year. Unfortunate but it’s what happens when you don’t recruit well on one side of the ball year after year. And also I think they’re having a hard time convincing portal guys to transfer into a rebuild.

 

I really like the two big OL additions, we will see how they finish up at WR and RB, (the UTEP guy hasn’t actually committed yet). Shapen at QB isn’t going to wow anyone but he’s got enough to be decent in a Lebby offense.

 

Point being, the best comparison for State next year may be one of those Matt Luke OM teams or Kiffin Year 1 that can score on a few teams but can’t stop anyone.

Check your messages.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, NoWammies said:

Responding to the Ole Miss hype next year. Crazy as it sounds @Florida scares me more than @LSU next year. I still remember in 2015 beating Bama, being 4-0 going into The Swamp with big aspirations cuz of the Bama win and that game being over by halftime and losing 38-10. It’s same year we were upset by Memphis and lost to Arkansas on the 4th and to Tupelo. Jayden Daniels will be playing for the Saints next year so LSU might not be as dangerous. 

When was OM’s last win in Baton Rouge? 2008 I think? Just feel like I’ve seen them go down there several times in recent years with what seemed like the better team but it’s been a tough place to win.

 

Florida might have an interim coach by the time Ole Miss sees them. In fact, I think there’s a very real chance Sun Belt Billy is coaching for his job in Starkville in Week 4. They might go ahead and pull the plug if they lose that game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NoWammies said:

Yup 2008. Bad Bo showed up in two of those. A lot of folks saying Ole Miss has a favorable schedule next year but there are def some trap games in there with The Swamp being one and Williams-Brice being another especially if it’s at night. 

At SC can be a really tough place to play, especially if it’s a night game. I believe it was ‘09 when a Top 10 Ole Miss team had their season derailed in Columbia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NoWammies said:

Yup 2008. Bad Bo showed up in two of those. A lot of folks saying Ole Miss has a favorable schedule next year but there are def some trap games in there with The Swamp being one and Williams-Brice being another especially if it’s at night. 


And OM was on the winning side of all the close games except Bama this season.  It usually doesn’t work out like that.   
 

Regardless, you don’t back the Brinks truck up to the portal and expect to win later.  Next year anything less than 10-2 shouldn’t be expected.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NoWammies said:

Ole Miss has basically been built on the portal the last 3 years. This isn’t something new. We had money to spend last year but just didn’t land certain guys. The Grove Collect has become a never ending Brinks trunk and keep buying Realtree folks. 

Never ending may be a stretch until proven otherwise. They’re clearly in a position to go big and buy heavy on 2024. I’m not totally sure that’s something that is replicable every year. Not immediately at least.

 

Teams like Ole Miss (and maybe State down the road) can build a team that is contender once in a while. See TCU last year. Building a program that is a perennial contender is much harder.

 

But as has been mentioned, Ole Miss has come a long way from the 2010’s when they missed a bowl game more often than they qualified for one.

Edited by Dawg83
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Dawg83 said:

Never ending may be a stretch until proven otherwise. They’re clearly in a position to go big and buy heavy on 2024. I’m not totally sure that’s something that is replicable every year. Not immediately at least.

 

Teams like Ole Miss (and maybe State down the road) can build a team that is contender once in a while. See TCU last year. Building a program that is a perennial contender is much harder.

 


Right.  OM sustaining this level of NIL is probably not realistic.   Very few schools can, but there are a handful that just will not run out of money.   
 

According to some though, boosters won’t have to be the major source of funds for long.   Some are saying a profit sharing model with contracts and caps will be coming in a few years.  So, go all in now and get it before they find a way to level the playing field.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why is OM sustaining this level unrealistic to y’all? Cuz y’all are State fans? Last I checked The Grove Collect, plus RealTree’s contribution constantly keeps increasing. I live in Oxford and can vouch that pockets are heavy around here ready to donate. Especially if it comes to making Ole Miss a contender in football. The way things are set up now is perfect for Ole Miss. Until then it’s “KiFfIn CaNt DeVeLoP” coming from the broke folks. 

IMG_4421.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NoWammies said:

Jayden Daniels will be playing for the Saints next year so LSU might not be as dangerous. 


I think it’s odd LSU hasn’t been going hard after a QB in the portal, unless I missed it.   Maybe it’s not a coincidence that the day Daniels officially announces he’s going pro, USC’s former 5* QB enters the portal.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MSTSatchmo said:


I think it’s odd LSU hasn’t been going hard after a QB in the portal, unless I missed it.   Maybe it’s not a coincidence that the day Daniels officially announces he’s going pro, USC’s former 5* QB enters the portal.  

Yup was thinking the same thing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m already hated on for my not enjoying the basketball success so I’ll go ahead and tell my football conspiracy theory I told to Blake today that I’ve been holding in. I’m enjoying this now cuz a part of me feels like in the future with Chip Kelly on the hot seat, he’s gonna get fired and Kiffin take the UCLA job to get back to California plus stick it to USC. Just a weird feeling. If The Grove Collect keeps doing what they doing then that’ll never happen though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NoWammies said:

Why is OM not sustaining this level unrealistic to y’all? Cuz y’all are State fans? Last I checked The Grove Collect constantly keeps increasing and I live in Oxford and can vouch that pockets are heavy around here ready to donate. Especially if it comes to making Ole Miss a contender in football. The way things are set up now is perfect for Ole Miss. Until then it’s “KiFfIn CaNt DeVeLoP” coming from the broke folks. 


It’s the fact OM isn’t Michigan or Texas or USC or Bama  in regards to wealthy alumni base numbers.  As A&M and USC have shown though, it takes more than money to win.  On the field coaching and recruiting make the difference, and OM has that going for them now too.   It’s just my opinion that the “regular people” won’t keep funding the NIL like they have in the beginning.   Yes OM has some deep pockets.  All schools have some, others have more, and then you have some that have practically no limit, but like you said OM has some that are ready to give their money to football.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, NoWammies said:

I’m already hated on for my not enjoying the basketball success so I’ll go ahead and tell my football conspiracy theory I told to Blake today that I’ve been holding in. I’m enjoying this now cuz a part of me feels like in the future with Chip Kelly on the hot seat, he’s gonna get fired and Kiffin take the UCLA job to get back to California plus stick it to USC. Just a weird feeling. If The Grove Collect keeps doing what they doing then that’ll never happen though. 


I actually was expecting Sark to blow it this year and Kiffin end up at Texas.  Texas, Oregon, Bama and maybe Michigan are the few schools I could see Kiffin leaving for.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m sure when the Bama job does finally come he’ll be fully interested in it and I’m fine with that. I’ve always figured it was between him, Kirby and Dabo. I don’t see any reason why Kirby would wanna leave Georgia and Dabo’s stock has kinda took a hit lately. I can’t see Lane at Michigan or any northern team for some reason. I picture him when the time comes it’s for Bama or a team out west. Hopefully it’s after his daughter graduates Ole Miss which is still years to come. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, NoWammies said:

Why is OM sustaining this level unrealistic to y’all? Cuz y’all are State fans? Last I checked The Grove Collect, plus RealTree’s contribution constantly keeps increasing. I live in Oxford and can vouch that pockets are heavy around here ready to donate. Especially if it comes to making Ole Miss a contender in football. The way things are set up now is perfect for Ole Miss. Until then it’s “KiFfIn CaNt DeVeLoP” coming from the broke folks. 

IMG_4421.jpeg

So it’s two different questions: can Ole Miss maintain, and if so can they ascend?

 

For now, yes I think Ole Miss can maintain as a consistent bowl team with occasional playoff potential under the current coach and current NIL system. Can they ascend from there? Gonna have to see it first to believe they can. Kiffin has done a heck of a job but he hasn’t really come close to winning the SEC so far. The next step up is the most difficult step.

 

It’s also inevitable that at some point Kiffin will either leave or he’ll regress. Silly to assume otherwise. So eventually you’ll have to reassess the coaching situation, whether it be 1, 5, or 10 years from now. And that’s a huge variable that can change things in a big way. Look no further than what happened to State post-Mullen.

 

With NIL, I think it’s a big assumption to make that the current model is going to be around forever. Kudos to Ole Miss for making the most of it as is. But it’s an unbelievably bad model with next to zero regulation. Fans and boosters being on the hook for what is essentially player salaries while the schools pocket all the TV revenue is a disaster.

 

If we do get some kind of regulation or revenue-sharing model, it changes the conversation again for a lot of teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

83 not being biased but I do think they can ascend. It won’t be able to all come from the portal though. Kiffin will still have to hit some home runs from high school which he happened to do with Judkins. I think he has with a couple DL from this upcoming class too. If he doesn’t and Ole Miss doesn’t ascend then them boosters are gonna start wanting heads and he’s gonna get the Jimbo treatment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NoWammies said:

83 not being biased but I do think they can ascend. It won’t be able to all come from the portal though. Kiffin will still have to hit some home runs from high school which he happened to do with Judkins. I think he has with a couple DL from this upcoming class too. If he doesn’t and Ole Miss doesn’t ascend then them boosters are gonna start wanting heads and he’s gonna get the Jimbo treatment. 

If Ole Miss boosters get sick of Kiffin for “only” maintaining what he’s doing now, they deserve every bad thing that comes to them.

 

Maintaining the level you’re at now is going to be super hard in itself. Ascending to the next level is asking Kiffin to break a barrier that hasn’t been broken in college football in decades. There’s a reason the same teams always win the national title.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, NoWammies said:

Well they have stuck with Bianco all this time and it finally paid off so we’ll see. 

Very different sports, far fewer barriers to entry in the upper crust. Coastal Carolina and Fresno State also have baseball national titles in the last 15 years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, NoWammies said:

What’s the best thing to do when it’s close to signing day? Extend your coach’s contract that got you to where you’re at now. 
 

https://x.com/olemissfb/status/1737218202093195380?s=46&t=AP0_RymTp1SB6dY_84dfNA

No brainer for OM, although I’ll say this offseason has probably been the quietest since he’s been here in terms of “Kiffin to ???” stuff. But there also weren’t many high profile openings at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...