slicklizard Posted August 31 Share Posted August 31 BoKnows and I have joined to do a small weekly review this season. MS is a big state and painting a picture of it with even a football roundup is impossible. We will develop it as the season goes on but the primary goal is for it to be interesting for all classes statewide. Cool Heads Soft Points for August 28 Moving on from a Kiffin doesn't mean a downgrade Oxford dominated Collierville in a game that told its story in the way that they just imposed their will on them when they wanted to. Could it be that they are better off without boy kiffin ? Look out Tupelo here they come. Was it real or AI? Tupelo thrashed Brandon. This game was supposed to at least give some idea on where these teams stood in the hierarchy of their classification. Either Tupelo is really good or Brandon is really freaking bad. Which is it? This game told us nothing. It was like asking AI to create last year’s Tupelo versus last year‘s Brandon The joke writes itself Shetland Gandy really left Tony Vance stacked and was on the cusp of getting Meridian back to prominence. When you can stop laughing, raise one up for Tony Vance. I’ve rode the man’s antics like Seabiscuit for years. One thing I know he knows football. Putting kids out there that don’t turn the ball over and a tough hard nose. defense wins at all levels. Could the worm be turning a little in the south in class 7A ? Welcome back to the conversation. Can you really ever go back home ? If you had told me 10 years ago that a West Jones team coached by Scott Pierson couldn’t adjust to the same play for I don’t know how many touchdowns I would have laughed in your face. To be up by three touchdowns only to get blown out because of said play I still have a hard time believing it really happened. Interesting : Holmes County Central, West Point, Wayne County, Raleigh. Desoto Central, Heidelberg 1 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rebel Bert Posted August 31 Share Posted August 31 Raleigh will be fine. D'Iberville is greatly improved on DL and OL. What Raleigh got was tough yards all night long. Raleigh had its chances to score 2 more times. D'Iberville toughened up and adjusted both drives in the red zone pushing Raleigh back. They will challenge Gulfport and may win 7A South. 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ccbulldog Posted August 31 Share Posted August 31 I thought you two hated each other. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
slicklizard Posted August 31 Author Share Posted August 31 1 hour ago, Rebel Bert said: Raleigh will be fine. D'Iberville is greatly improved on DL and OL. What Raleigh got was tough yards all night long. Raleigh had its chances to score 2 more times. D'Iberville toughened up and adjusted both drives in the red zone pushing Raleigh back. They will challenge Gulfport and may win 7A South. That's why it was interesting. Raleigh is title level in their class taking on a much deeper 7A team. I think both showed who they were. Speaking of interesting, that last sentence . WOW 11 minutes ago, ccbulldog said: I thought you two hated each other. Looking at it through a different set of glasses we both agreed that nobody was right in that situation and to make it a positive. Grace is something you rarely get to feel .The giving or receiving. You can't summon it. It just shows up. Anyway there's the devotional for the day, lol. I always wanted to do something for the whole state and that's how it happened 100% total truth. 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ccbulldog Posted August 31 Share Posted August 31 Nobody on the coast is gonna be challenging Gulfport this year. Meanwhile Dist. 3 7A is gonna be a dogfight. Brandon and Oak Grove both have slipped a little and Meridian is vastly better. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BoKnows08 Posted August 31 Share Posted August 31 7 hours ago, ccbulldog said: Nobody on the coast is gonna be challenging Gulfport this year. Meanwhile Dist. 3 7A is gonna be a dogfight. Brandon and Oak Grove both have slipped a little and Meridian is vastly better. Can Petal win D-3? I think it is Oak Grove's division just based on what week 1 showed. That Stockville loss was not a bad loss. Starkville is really good on the line of scrimmage and I think people fail to realize that. They beat South Panola and Hewitt-Trussville in the spring game. I know I know its a spring game, but they're better than people realize until they beat WP handily this Friday. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
coastball Posted August 31 Share Posted August 31 9 hours ago, Rebel Bert said: Raleigh will be fine. D'Iberville is greatly improved on DL and OL. What Raleigh got was tough yards all night long. Raleigh had its chances to score 2 more times. D'Iberville toughened up and adjusted both drives in the red zone pushing Raleigh back. They will challenge Gulfport and may win 7A South. Raleigh not the same team as last year for sure. Dville will be solid 2nd spot behind Gpt as long as coaching doesn't mess it up in Dville Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BoKnows08 Posted August 31 Share Posted August 31 9 hours ago, ccbulldog said: I thought you two hated each other. Hate is a strong word @ccbulldog there is nothing wrong with a little good clean fun. 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rebel Bert Posted August 31 Share Posted August 31 10 hours ago, slicklizard said: That's why it was interesting. Raleigh is title level in their class taking on a much deeper 7A team. I think both showed who they were. Speaking of interesting, that last sentence . WOW Looking at it through a different set of glasses we both agreed that nobody was right in that situation and to make it a positive. Grace is something you rarely get to feel .The giving or receiving. You can't summon it. It just shows up. Anyway there's the devotional for the day, lol. I always wanted to do something for the whole state and that's how it happened 100% total truth. Bottom line is D'Iberville lines are much better than last year and Raleigh is reloading on both lines. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
coastfootballfanman Posted August 31 Share Posted August 31 24 minutes ago, Rebel Bert said: Bottom line is D'Iberville lines are much better than last year and Raleigh is reloading on both lines. I am going to have to disagree with you there. 2 of d'Iberville's defensive linemen from last season are currently on Division 1 football rosters. The other is on a JUCO roster. They have an entirely new group on the defensive line with two of them being 10th graders. I am in no way saying they are bad or not good, because I think they are. But to make the statement they are much better on the lines than last year is just not true defensively. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
coastball Posted August 31 Share Posted August 31 1 hour ago, coastfootballfanman said: I am going to have to disagree with you there. 2 of d'Iberville's defensive linemen from last season are currently on Division 1 football rosters. The other is on a JUCO roster. They have an entirely new group on the defensive line with two of them being 10th graders. I am in no way saying they are bad or not good, because I think they are. But to make the statement they are much better on the lines than last year is just not true defensively. You are 100% spot on sir. Raleigh O line was not the same talent level of last year's state championship team. Definitely rebuilding for Raleigh. they'll be ok in division IMO. 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
slicklizard Posted August 31 Author Share Posted August 31 Better win Pascagoula or Biloxi ? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BoKnows08 Posted August 31 Share Posted August 31 I would have to say Biloxi last week. Holmes County ALWAYS has mega talent and they consistently do nothing with it! Now that is my uneducated opinion because I know nothing on Moss Point but I know Holmes County has several D1's Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Wareaglefan1us Posted August 31 Share Posted August 31 5 hours ago, BoKnows08 said: Can Petal win D-3? I think it is Oak Grove's division just based on what week 1 showed. That Stockville loss was not a bad loss. Starkville is really good on the line of scrimmage and I think people fail to realize that. They beat South Panola and Hewitt-Trussville in the spring game. I know I know its a spring game, but they're better than people realize until they beat WP handily this Friday. Petal is an average team with above average coaching. They have a few good players but a hall of fame head coach that makes really good in game adjustments. Oak Grove is loaded with talent again but so was Hattiesburg. I’m going to add this as well I really like Coach Lacey at Hattiesburg. Slick and I were discussing him Saturday it’s hard to believe that’s his first head job I believe I’m correct on that. back to your OG/ Petal question where is the game this year? If at Petal I’ll take Petal Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
coastfootballfanman Posted August 31 Share Posted August 31 49 minutes ago, slicklizard said: Better win Pascagoula or Biloxi ? Biloxi and it is not even close. Holmes County is typically always extremely talented and a good team. Moss Point is abysmal across their lines and I do not see that changing over the year. I was told they have about 30 kids total out playing football right now and their starting RB could be out a while. He took a big hit vs. Hattiesburg and was carted off the field after a hit this past Friday vs. Pascagoula. 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Vott Posted August 31 Share Posted August 31 (edited) 49 minutes ago, coastfootballfanman said: Biloxi and it is not even close. Holmes County is typically always extremely talented and a good team. Moss Point is abysmal across their lines and I do not see that changing over the year. I was told they have about 30 kids total out playing football right now and their starting RB could be out a while. He took a big hit vs. Hattiesburg and was carted off the field after a hit this past Friday vs. Pascagoula. There was an article on south ms sports that the game last Friday between Goula/Moss Point might be the last one played for a while, possibly forever Edited August 31 by Vott Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rawcones Posted August 31 Share Posted August 31 1 hour ago, Wareaglefan1us said: Petal is an average team with above average coaching. They have a few good players but a hall of fame head coach that makes really good in game adjustments. Oak Grove is loaded with talent again but so was Hattiesburg. I’m going to add this as well I really like Coach Lacey at Hattiesburg. Slick and I were discussing him Saturday it’s hard to believe that’s his first head job I believe I’m correct on that. back to your OG/ Petal question where is the game this year? If at Petal I’ll take Petal If I'm not mistaken lacey is only 31 or 32. He had a birthday not too long ago but yes it's his first hc job. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
coastball Posted August 31 Share Posted August 31 I think Biloxi for sure. Moss Point is in shambles so not a challenge at all for Goula. Goula would be better off picking up a more quality opponent in the future. No longer the rivalry it used to be Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Wareaglefan1us Posted August 31 Share Posted August 31 8 minutes ago, Rawcones said: If I'm not mistaken lacey is only 31 or 32. He had a birthday not too long ago but yes it's his first hc job. He’s a really good coach 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Vott Posted August 31 Share Posted August 31 1 hour ago, Wareaglefan1us said: Petal is an average team with above average coaching. They have a few good players but a hall of fame head coach that makes really good in game adjustments. Oak Grove is loaded with talent again but so was Hattiesburg. I’m going to add this as well I really like Coach Lacey at Hattiesburg. Slick and I were discussing him Saturday it’s hard to believe that’s his first head job I believe I’m correct on that. back to your OG/ Petal question where is the game this year? If at Petal I’ll take Petal It is at Petal. Petal Hattiesburg and Oak Grove all play at home on a rotating basis so no team will get to host both games. This season it is Petal at HHS. HHS at Oak Grove and Oak Grove at Petal. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Vott Posted August 31 Share Posted August 31 3 minutes ago, Wareaglefan1us said: He’s a really good coach Came from one of the nations top high school football programs. ( Valdosta High School). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
slicklizard Posted August 31 Author Share Posted August 31 (edited) 3 hours ago, Wareaglefan1us said: Petal is an average team with above average coaching. They have a few good players but a hall of fame head coach that makes really good in game adjustments. Oak Grove is loaded with talent again but so was Hattiesburg. I’m going to add this as well I really like Coach Lacey at Hattiesburg. Slick and I were discussing him Saturday it’s hard to believe that’s his first head job I believe I’m correct on that. back to your OG/ Petal question where is the game this year? If at Petal I’ll take Petal It's a few weeks away but I think it was you I told the other day , it may have been someone else, but I expect Petal to give Gulfport grief. If Marcus has a QB that is careful throwing it and a receiver with decent hands he will scheme him open. People can get offended but Coach Boyles has left three , maybe more , titles on the table over there jacking around with Petal. They will never do anything in football but watch other schools and be jealous. 3 hours ago, coastfootballfanman said: Biloxi and it is not even close. Holmes County is typically always extremely talented and a good team. Moss Point is abysmal across their lines and I do not see that changing over the year. I was told they have about 30 kids total out playing football right now and their starting RB could be out a while. He took a big hit vs. Hattiesburg and was carted off the field after a hit this past Friday vs. Pascagoula. I asked because Pascagoula has a chance this Friday to show everyone that things are going to be different with the new coach. Edited August 31 by slicklizard Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BoKnows08 Posted September 1 Share Posted September 1 5 hours ago, slicklizard said: It's a few weeks away but I think it was you I told the other day , it may have been someone else, but I expect Petal to give Gulfport grief. If Marcus has a QB that is careful throwing it and a receiver with decent hands he will scheme him open. People can get offended but Coach Boyles has left three , maybe more , titles on the table over there jacking around with Petal. They will never do anything in football but watch other schools and be jealous. I asked because Pascagoula has a chance this Friday to show everyone that things are going to be different with the new coach. Is Goula good enough to make an actual run at it if Picayune is down. I also think Gulfport may just be that good and Picayune is a better team than they think right now coming off of that loss. 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
maroontide06 Posted September 1 Share Posted September 1 9 hours ago, BoKnows08 said: Is Goula good enough to make an actual run at it if Picayune is down. I also think Gulfport may just be that good and Picayune is a better team than they think right now coming off of that loss. I will say this. It appeared that no offensive adjustments were made against Gulfport. Now was that by design or by choice? I really don't know, but to just throw in the towel like that is just completely uncharacteristic of a Maroon Tide team. I personally have no desire for performances like that to continue regardless of opponent. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Archer Posted September 1 Share Posted September 1 14 hours ago, slicklizard said: I asked because Pascagoula has a chance this Friday to show everyone that things are going to be different with the new coach. Green and staff are in the process of changing a culture here. It may take some time but there were very encouraging signs on display in week one. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.