Class 7a-5a South

Vott

15 minutes ago, maroontide06 said:

@Big Poppalet me put it to you this way.  They broke a record for fewest points scored in district play since the start of the MHSAA.  That record was 42 points and it was set in consecutive seasons in 2008 & 2009.  This past year they beat that record by a point with 41 points scored.  You would think the only direction to go would be up, but for some reason or another that hasn't been the trajectory.  Will that trajectory change?  I honestly have no idea, but it needs to.

Just consolidate them into Picayune and Poplarville. Boom. Problem solved. LOL

10 minutes ago, coastfootballfanman said:

Just consolidate them into Picayune and Poplarville. Boom. Problem solved. LOL

All they would need to do is just win a couple of games to reverse the trajectory.  It sounds simple and easy enough, but that's a very big challenge.  Is it doable?  Sure, but it's like trudging through buckshot gumbo delta mud.

24 minutes ago, maroontide06 said:

All they would need to do is just win a couple of games to reverse the trajectory.  It sounds simple and easy enough, but that's a very big challenge.  Is it doable?  Sure, but it's like trudging through buckshot gumbo delta mud.

For your user name to say “maroon tide”, you sure do spend a lot of time talking about those blue devils

1 hour ago, maroontide06 said:

@Big Poppalet me put it to you this way.  They broke a record for fewest points scored in district play since the start of the MHSAA.  That record was 42 points and it was set in consecutive seasons in 2008 & 2009.  This past year they beat that record by a point with 41 points scored.  You would think the only direction to go would be up, but for some reason or another that hasn't been the trajectory.  Will that trajectory change?  I honestly have no idea, but it needs to.

Scoring 41 points in four games vs scoring 42 in seven?

Ok I’m not going to predict anything here but for everyone who thinks the talent pool is dry at WC keep thinking that. Yes their big play receiver went to Wayne Academy that’s a done deal. To me the best receiver and hardest cover is the sophomore TE I don’t know his exact height and weight I would say 6’3- 6’4 and about 250-260 with great hands. He honestly reminds me of the Cooley kid from Laurel a few years ago that went on to Ole Miss. everyone has complained about offense but WC could score the problem was we couldn’t stop the other teams from scoring. I’ve been around WC football from the beginning and I don’t remember a team giving up the points that we did last season. A very talented group of freshman and JV players will be playing next year. So yeah last season was a huge disappointment but I believe the talent is there. 

26 minutes ago, Wareaglefan1us said:

Ok I’m not going to predict anything here but for everyone who thinks the talent pool is dry at WC keep thinking that. Yes their big play receiver went to Wayne Academy that’s a done deal. To me the best receiver and hardest cover is the sophomore TE I don’t know his exact height and weight I would say 6’3- 6’4 and about 250-260 with great hands. He honestly reminds me of the Cooley kid from Laurel a few years ago that went on to Ole Miss. everyone has complained about offense but WC could score the problem was we couldn’t stop the other teams from scoring. I’ve been around WC football from the beginning and I don’t remember a team giving up the points that we did last season. A very talented group of freshman and JV players will be playing next year. So yeah last season was a huge disappointment but I believe the talent is there. 

No offense, but a "talented group of freshman and JV players will be playing next year" has been the narrative for the last 2-3 seasons now. Results do not show that. Nobody is denying talent is not there, because you can see the pieces. I am not real sure what the issue may be, but it is deeper than talent level. 

40 minutes ago, s1nglewing said:

Scoring 41 points in four games vs scoring 42 in seven?

If you're splitting hairs, yes the 42 is worse in ppg average, but I was looking at season totals.  We can't help the structural/classification changes that the MHSAA makes.  

2 hours ago, Wareaglefan1us said:

There is talent at WC still.  However, not overall as much all over the field as there was even 7 years ago. Not to mention 2001-2010. 

1 hour ago, Merlin said:

There is talent at WC still.  However, not overall as much all over the field as there was even 7 years ago. Not to mention 2001-2010. 

That’s a statement I agree with for sure. Our defensive line use to control games. That hasn’t happened since 2015. 

You can have all the skill players you want but if you can't match up on the line of scrimmage you are in trouble. Prime example is PRC, they are small and not that athletic and till the demographics of the area change they will remain primarily a baseball school. Another example West Jones they pretty much dominated the line of scrimmage all season especially in the playoffs. They had some skill players but their big advantage was the interior line mainly the defense. 

On 1/20/2024 at 7:19 PM, Deonte3455 said:

I still have a lingering bad taste in my mouth, I can't even lie. Ughhhhhh.

West Jones was just too much this past season.  It’ll be another repeat for the 3-6A district title, but will the outcome be repeated? Deonte you know what needs to happen to get that bad taste out of your mouth.

7a South is gonna be weird man. OG and Brandon are the usual suspects but have to really retool.

I think we (OG) will be very good defensively but we lose a ton of offensive production. Pretty much everything outside of the run game. We never lack on talent though so, we’ll see. 

5 minutes ago, Dubaction said:

7a South is gonna be weird man. OG and Brandon are the usual suspects but have to really retool.

I think we (OG) will be very good defensively but we lose a ton of offensive production. Pretty much everything outside of the run game. We never lack on talent though so, we’ll see. 

Dub is there any 7A coastal teams that can make a threat or is region 3 just going to be too much?

I’m not sure. I think OS’s window may have closed for a bit after not being able to get over the hump with 3 really good years of football. I could be wrong. That defense carried them and they lose most of it if I’m not mistaken 

Gulfport has a really good head coach but until they actually show and prove they can do damage in the playoffs the jury is still out 

WTBS I think 7a south is wide open until I see what a few teams look like in the spring/offseason. 

Edited by Dubaction

That talent aspect runs in cycles but there is plenty enough every season to do something with at Wayne County. 
This staff would have missed the playoffs with Benito and the rest of those champs. It’s true that the TE is a once in a decade type player but these clowns will have him blocking in this  Bubba Wingthorne offense. They don’t believe they have to pass to win yet all they do is lose. I wouldn’t doubt if he’s not playing for Breland in the near future too.

On 1/19/2024 at 7:15 AM, Big Poppa said:

You can have all the skill players you want but if you can't match up on the line of scrimmage you are in trouble. Prime example is PRC, they are small and not that athletic and till the demographics of the area change they will remain primarily a baseball school. Another example West Jones they pretty much dominated the line of scrimmage all season especially in the playoffs. They had some skill players but their big advantage was the interior line mainly the defense. 

For West Jones, having a big interior d line isn’t all that new.  WJ prioritizes putting biggest kids on d line. They have had really good to great defensive lines most of the last 22 years.  Their issue typically is either average or below offensive line (typically 220-240 pounds per kid). Or turnovers. Or, due to the prior scheme, average at best qb. Years they had better than average qb they tend to be top 2 district and 2/3rd round of plsyoffs.  Should have been in state at least 3 more times than have been and maybe as many as 5 but killed themselves with turnovers or got beat by a team that was physically bigger.  That’s not currently the case however. And they will not have any lack of size the next 3-4 years either.  

9 hours ago, Dubaction said:

Hey Merlin , did anyone from that West Jones defense end up signing D1? 

LB Race Jones to ole miss as preferred walk on.  Another one or two were being talked to by msu, auburn, and most sunbelt schools but don’t yet have the act scores.

Edited by Merlin

On 1/25/2024 at 1:25 AM, Ghost of Howard Cosell said:

Rase Jones to Holmes CC

That was a sudden change. 

wonder why Jones College refuses to recruit kids from jones county.  That coach there is an idiot and needs to go.  I honestly had thought Boyles would end up there a year or two after retiring from Petal the first time.