Jump to content

Trimming Heads and Shaving Points with slick and Bo for 10-5


slicklizard
 Share

Recommended Posts

New title same thought provoking format

 

Slight name change again to be more reflective of the content intended for the topics within. I always wanted it to be more akin to a busy barber shop than a boring blog. It needs North content but I’m sure Bocephus will have a little time to add some tidbits at some point.

If you are going to get bent out of shape about an answer to a question you might ask this might not be the thread for you..

It’s a good bit so if there is grammatical errors that leave a point unclear point it out.

 

 

The other side of our sport

 

There’s no way I would be a high school football coach or I guess any coach at high school level for that matter. No matter the expectations the first time you lose you have failed. And in the eyes of many in the current environment that we live in, you are not worthy to have that job anymore. If you get forced out, you don’t have a buyout like the millionaires at the next level.

Rather you have to move and take on the expense of doing it. I know more than anyone that some  aren’t coaching material and need to be sorted out, but there needs to be some remedy for that position because it carries more risk of being terminated than being in the classroom does.

 

 

 

A few thoughts as region play gets cranked up.

 

How do ya’ll feel about going into your region games ?  Happy, Confident , Waiting on the playoffs  ?

This week there are so many good opening games I haven’t kept up with what’s the expectation levels. Maybe discuss what your  gut tells you is going to happen

Wayne County hasn’t really won a game. Winfield but I don’t really count that. And two of the games they missed a two point conversion that would have won  with virtually no time on the clock. The glaring loss was the second week in a row that they had to ride to Jackson and they faced Northwestst Rankin . Unforced turnovers and penalties in the red zone pretty much derailed that one in the first quarter. They were right there with West Jones too at the end.

So I am hopeful, the same as I was before they played the first game.

I told someone ,not naming names , they know who they are , that West Jones wos my favorite for the south title after they lost the laurel . They didn’t agree. I stand by that. No crow

 

 

Bo’s Crow

 

It’s a good time to go ahead and eat this one. My friend Bo and I disagreed about Morgan being a viable coach at Starkville. I prefer to let sleeping dogs lie on how he got there. Starkville is a legit contender already and that’s saying a lot on where they were last year.  I judged that incorrectly eSo I’m eating it.  The important thing is to be man enough to admit you seen things wrong and move on.   

It’s not something I eat a lot but I have had it.  Tib and I ate it a couple of times together   served by Tony Vance. Quite possibly the worst . I don’t even know if it was crow it was so terrible.

 

NIL problem

In a text the other night watching Poplarville  I remarked to Wareaglefan that this time next season Ty Ketes would be a millionaire . He joked back and said he probably already is. Instantly I though why is someone like him even playing ? He’s one step away from seeing it vanish. It’s horrible to think about but it’s a valid question . There are a whole lot of problems for HS football we haven’t even thought about with all this money being thrown around. The cream of the crop are going to start skipping parts of seasons or whole seasons entirely to minimize risk. Sadly there is nothing anyone can do to avoid it. The whole HS scene is disappearing rapidly. I never saw this coming ten years ago.

 

Fighting

 

The MHSAA has to come down hard on these schools that are involved in it.  Look into it thoroughly and hammer the ones who initiate it. These games have to kept safe and having an angry mob of people is a dangerous thing. Start with suspensions and go from there.

 

I didn’t really discuss any games here this week . I would like to see some of the the results of these region openers before diving in. Although if anyone wants to drop in intrigue about one feel free. Waiting on this Friday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coming into region play, outside of Heidelberg, I feel good about where Mize can finish, but that’s IF our players can all get healthy and return after this week. We are majorly banged up with now, several starters have been either out or playing injured for the last 3 weeks. We have 2 or 3 more that will probably still be out this week against Heidelberg. I’m optimistic that after this week, we will have everybody back at full health. The next 3 games are at home, with the season finale being on the road at Enterprise Clarke. 
 

 

As for the fighting, I think the MHSAA needs to drop the hammer in a BIG BIG way. Enough is enough, and a statement has to be made to get this nonsense stopped. This travel ball, “BTA” culture that has allowed poor sportsmanship to run rampant every week has GOT TO STOP. I would consider implementing some post season bans for these teams depending on how it got started. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just  saw a video of what triggered the fight between Shannon and Pontotoc, and it was the dang COACHES that initiated the whole thing. Shannon came and celebrated near the pontotoc sideline, that angered some pontotoc coaches who had words and gestures for some Shannon coaches. Then the Shannon coach runs and gets in the faces of the pontotoc coaches and everything goes from there. 
 

Personally, I believe Shannon was the biggest culprit by showing poor sportsmanship after the game that caused the pontotoc coaches to voice their displeasure. Also, the Shannon coach is the one who ran up and then caused the whole confrontation by getting in the faces of the pontotoc coaches. If it were my decision, I would slap pontotoc with a hefty fine and probation, and I would slap Shannon with a hefty fine and a postseason ban. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Pontotoc coaches were near their sideline but not past the numbers as far as the depth onto the field and it appears that the entire Shannon team went to that spot as well. Maybe they were just wanting to shake hands? I agree people who should be in charge appear very much at fault here. Wonder when Ricky renders the verdict?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know Merlin ain't gonna want me shedding some light on those West Jones Mustangs, but I got to.  They had the thing pieced together with bailing wire and duct tape and should have beaten Petal.  That was an incredible performance for them and yes that team that played Friday would have beaten Laurel into submission.  They definitely pass the eye test as far as 6A South goes.  I just hope they can keep it up.

Edited by maroontide06
oops wrong day LOL
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, pancho said:

The Pontotoc coaches were near their sideline but not past the numbers as far as the depth onto the field and it appears that the entire Shannon team went to that spot as well. Maybe they were just wanting to shake hands? I agree people who should be in charge appear very much at fault here. Wonder when Ricky renders the verdict?

The Shannon players initiated that fight and got exactly what they were looking for. The Shannon coach made no attempt to get his players under control and went across just to shake hands while his players were taunting the entire sideline. This is my opinion…. Emotions and excitement were very high and kids are going to be kids. They earned a hard fought victory. The Shannon staff should have made an immediate, deliberate attempt to control the kids elation and get them controlled and back to their side of the field and then went to shake hands and took whatever the response was from the Pontotoc staff in terms of voicing their displeasure with the way they were acting and then walked away and celebrated with their boys. Instead they chose to allow kids to continue taunting Pontotoc and just shake hands. Because they chose to ignore their players behavior they will be playing short handed I would assume. Either way it was a bad look.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, BoKnows08 said:

The Shannon players initiated that fight and got exactly what they were looking for. The Shannon coach made no attempt to get his players under control and went across just to shake hands while his players were taunting the entire sideline. This is my opinion…. Emotions and excitement were very high and kids are going to be kids. They earned a hard fought victory. The Shannon staff should have made an immediate, deliberate attempt to control the kids elation and get them controlled and back to their side of the field and then went to shake hands and took whatever the response was from the Pontotoc staff in terms of voicing their displeasure with the way they were acting and then walked away and celebrated with their boys. Instead they chose to allow kids to continue taunting Pontotoc and just shake hands. Because they chose to ignore their players behavior they will be playing short handed I would assume. Either way it was a bad look.  

That’s the culture I’m talking about. We have allowed players to get away with celebrating and taunting in front of the other team after a win. You can celebrate all you want, but do it on your sideline and not during the handshake. We didn’t have these issues 20 years ago. Now it’s like it happens every other week. It starts at the youth level, and carries on up to high school now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, slicklizard said:

Shouldn’t the schools or MS dept of education be involved in upholding a condict standard as

opposed to the MHSAA who have no control over the employees of a district . People don’t listen until you involve a paycheck 

You fine the school, fine the coaches, suspend the players x number of games for 1st offense. 2nd offense requires a double or triple the fine for the school and coaches, suspension for the coaches, and suspended players for the  season. 3rd offense 5 times the fees, and permanent suspension from coaching, 2 year probation from playoffs. And make the statement boldly. Required schooling for reinstatement to coaching and playing provided you are freshman or sophomore.  Junior or Senior your done no reinstatement nor playing other sports.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, something along those lines would be good. I assure you that the state Ed Superintendent is more worried about how his hair looks than any of this.  He still high hats most of the various  school officials during required Admin meetings. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Rebel Bert said:

You fine the school, fine the coaches, suspend the players x number of games for 1st offense. 2nd offense requires a double or triple the fine for the school and coaches, suspension for the coaches, and suspended players for the  season. 3rd offense 5 times the fees, and permanent suspension from coaching, 2 year probation from playoffs. And make the statement boldly. Required schooling for reinstatement to coaching and playing provided you are freshman or sophomore.  Junior or Senior your done no reinstatement nor playing other sports.

Some of that I agree with. But I am not putting a lifetime ban on someone for ever coaching again. Nor will I suspend a player for two years which would possibly cost him from getting a scholarship because he was not able to be recruited.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Vott said:

Some of that I agree with. But I am not putting a lifetime ban on someone for ever coaching again. Nor will I suspend a player for two years which would possibly cost him from getting a scholarship because he was not able to be recruited.

I just think some 2 or 3 step process needs to be put in place that includes annual training of coaches and players prior to the season starting like in June or July. I f you are going to throw punches and sling helmets, throw the Gatorade then you need major punishment. As a coach its trash talking that leads to cursing or running of the tongue that provokes things from the other team. Suspension doesn't work then something more permanent may be needed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pancho said:

I agree but do we expect Mr Neaves and his associates to divey out these type punishments?

I think Mr Neeves is bound by the current 2026-27 handbook on discipline. If certain unnamed principals and AD's have a problem with the Handbook on discipline then they need to initiate changes at the district level. I am positive Mr Neeves may welcome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2026 at 1:26 PM, maroontide06 said:

I know Merlin ain't gonna want me shedding some light on those West Jones Mustangs, but I got to.  They had the thing pieced together with bailing wire and duct tape and should have beaten Petal.  That was an incredible performance for them and yes that team that played Friday would have beaten Laurel into submission.  They definitely pass the eye test as far as 6A South goes.  I just hope they can keep it up.

I think they will only improve from here. 

People underestimate the damage a coach who can't initiate a  strong culture can do in a short period of time. Pierson had a lot to do internally  out of the public eye. He's starting to get it right at the time he planned on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, pancho said:

normally those are released on thursday morning, i think.

It needs to be. Taunting is at the root of dam near all of this. Their action needs to be public and highly vivsible. Going to the opponents sideline right after the horn has sounded talking smack is a recipe for disaster. The environment is already charged. 

I blame the DOE to a large degree for not already coming up with harsh deterrents. It's been happening for a few years now and is escalating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, slicklizard said:

I think they will only improve from here. 

People underestimate the damage a coach who can't initiate a  strong culture can do in a short period of time. Pierson had a lot to do internally  out of the public eye. He's starting to get it right at the time he planned on

I think so too.  Just the weapons they have on offense with a team that was pieced together and Tootie not even really expecting to play and he goes in there and throws 4 TD passes was just incredible.  Having Sinegal and Watson there making catches just helps a whole lot.  Then you got Agee at tailback.  The pieces are definitely there and when they get healthier, look out.

Edited by maroontide06
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, slicklizard said:

It needs to be. Taunting is at the root of dam near all of this. Their action needs to be public and highly vivsible. Going to the opponents sideline right after the horn has sounded talking smack is a recipe for disaster. The environment is already charged. 

I blame the DOE to a large degree for not already coming up with harsh deterrents. It's been happening for a few years now and is escalating.

That would be the same individual who wanted grand parents arrested for parking along the roadside while waiting to pick up children at the elementary school.  He is useless but he does smile big when he thinks he's on camera.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...