Dawg83 Posted December 3, 2022 Share Posted December 3, 2022 It’s officially conference title weekend and then bowl games will be announced Sunday. Figured we could handle one big thread to get us through the next month and change. USC/Utah coming up tonight in Vegas, big one for Playoff ramifications. Utah won the regular season meeting by 1 point in what was one of the best games of the season so far. Won’t pretend that I watch a ton of PAC 12 but I’ll definitely check things out tonight. Caleb Williams is probably your Heisman winner barring a major meltdown tonight. USC is basically becoming the new Oklahoma in every way possible. I’ll also be checking out TCU/K-State tomorrow, I’ve liked both of those programs from a distance with both of those programs for years so it’s cool to see them playing in a conference title game where one can make the Playoff and the other is probably Sugar Bowl bound. I think Georgia smokes LSU. Maybe I’m wrong. But I think this one may not be close. It being in Atlanta doesn’t help LSU at all. Michigan probably handles Purdue but Purdue can be a fun team at times, so maybe it’s a good game. Tulane-UCF is a Cotton Bowl play-in game. Pulling for the Wave here, would be really cool for them to make the NY6. Not particularly interested in UNC-Clemson, but I’ll say Clemson wins. Hard to know exactly what to expect bowl-wise but State and OM are in the same tier. The latest intel I’ve seen suggests State is trending toward the Gator Bowl and OM is maybe headed to the Texas Bowl or Vegas Bowl. But it could all change at a moment’s notice between now and Sunday. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bulldogs4 Posted December 3, 2022 Share Posted December 3, 2022 I hope State plays Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl. That would be really cool as we have never played them before. And I think it would be a good match up as well. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rebmus Posted December 3, 2022 Share Posted December 3, 2022 The UTAH/USC game is a good one so far tonight. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bulldogs4 Posted December 3, 2022 Share Posted December 3, 2022 Yes it is. Utah could be about to start a weekend of chaos. 24-17 in third quarter after being down 17-3 in the first half. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bulldogs4 Posted December 3, 2022 Share Posted December 3, 2022 #7 for USC has been abused in the 4th quarter. Utah has outscored USCw 37-3 since the first quarter. Finally USCw defense is soft. Though they did have a great tackle against the Utah QB. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rebmus Posted December 3, 2022 Share Posted December 3, 2022 USCe is out of the top 4. I guess tOSU is in the top 4 now? IF TCU, Michigan, and UGA lose tomorrow... who's the top 4? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MSTSatchmo Posted December 3, 2022 Share Posted December 3, 2022 7 minutes ago, rebmus said: USCe is out of the top 4. I guess tOSU is in the top 4 now? IF TCU, Michigan, and UGA lose tomorrow... who's the top 4? That would be crazy. IF that happened, I would say the only thing that changes is Ohio State jumps in with the one loss teams. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dawg83 Posted December 3, 2022 Author Share Posted December 3, 2022 Georgia and Michigan will be in even if they lose today. TCU SHOULD be too but I don’t know that they will. My guess is you have your four teams now with those three plus Ohio State. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MSTSatchmo Posted December 3, 2022 Share Posted December 3, 2022 1 hour ago, Dawg83 said: Georgia and Michigan will be in even if they lose today. TCU SHOULD be too but I don’t know that they will. My guess is you have your four teams now with those three plus Ohio State. If TCU loses and doesn’t get in the only other option is Bama. Lord have mercy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bulldogs4 Posted December 3, 2022 Share Posted December 3, 2022 Don’t see Bama leapfrogging TCU. I guess if TCU gets blown out it is possible. However, I look for this game to be competitive and TCU pulling away from KSTATE at the end to win 38-27. Utah just flat took uscw to the woodshed last night. Finished the game on a 44-7 run. Granted it was the first game of the year but they lost to Florida. Safe to say they are much better team today than they were on Labor Day. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MSTSatchmo Posted December 3, 2022 Share Posted December 3, 2022 (edited) Wow. TCU with the big comeback. First possession in OT, they go for it on 4th and goal and get stopped. What do y’all think about that decision. Close loss though keeps TCU in the top 4, I believe. It’s crazy that at least 2 teams could get in the top 4 after losing their last games. Edited December 3, 2022 by MSTSatchmo Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dawg83 Posted December 3, 2022 Author Share Posted December 3, 2022 If TCU gets left out in favor of a two loss Bama then this whole thing is rigged. It absolutely should not happen. Liked the decision to go for it on 4th, didn’t like the play call. Should’ve kept the ball in Duggan’s hands. Kansas State going to the Sugar Bowl is awesome for them, though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rebmus Posted December 3, 2022 Share Posted December 3, 2022 TCU should get in over 2 loss Bama, but we'll see. On that, why is Bama over Tennessee? Both have 2 losses and UT won head to head. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bulldogs4 Posted December 3, 2022 Share Posted December 3, 2022 TCU is in. Resume is better than Ohio State and Bama. Lost in OT to a top ten team that they have already beaten once. Heck of a game. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rebmus Posted December 3, 2022 Share Posted December 3, 2022 Georgia is steamrolling LSU 35-7 in the first half. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MSTSatchmo Posted December 3, 2022 Share Posted December 3, 2022 1 hour ago, rebmus said: TCU should get in over 2 loss Bama, but we'll see. On that, why is Bama over Tennessee? Both have 2 losses and UT won head to head. The UT or Bama discussions get so deep. Lol. I honestly say you choose who you think are the best teams as of today. I don’t think UT without Hooker beats Bama. However, who cares who is 5th or 6th. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rebmus Posted December 3, 2022 Share Posted December 3, 2022 4 minutes ago, MSTSatchmo said: The UT or Bama discussions get so deep. Lol. I honestly say you choose who you think are the best teams as of today. I don’t think UT without Hooker beats Bama. However, who cares who is 5th or 6th. True on 5th or 6th, OSU is going to get the 4th spot and should along with TCU likely stays top 4 and should. I would bet on Bama winning vs UT without Hooker, but that's still throwing out what happened in the regular season. IF Hooker was healthy, would UT be ranked ahead of Bama right now? IF that's the reason Bama is ranked ahead of UT, I can kind of buy it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dawg83 Posted December 4, 2022 Author Share Posted December 4, 2022 We’ll see what the day holds in terms of bowl destinations. Brett McMurphy and The Athletic are the two most trustworthy sites on bowl games, and they aren’t in agreement on where State and OM end up. I think there is a very real sentiment that while State’s team is deserving of a Florida bowl game, the fan base has not traveled well for bowl games in years, so that could drop State to Houston or Nashville. There’s also the fact that State has been to Jacksonville three times in the last 12 years and OM hasn’t been in over 30 years. The behind the scenes buzz for a large portion of the week was State vs UNC in the Gator Bowl and Ole Miss to either Houston or Vegas, we will see if that ends up holding true. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
maroontide06 Posted December 4, 2022 Share Posted December 4, 2022 Since this is the postseason thread I have a question to ask. What made RaRa want to enter the portal? Did something happen internally? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bulldogs4 Posted December 4, 2022 Share Posted December 4, 2022 That is an interesting question. Being he was the leading receiver on the team, it makes you wonder? With a Leach coached team, WR’s are going to get a lot of opportunities though the load will be shared amongst many. At the end of the day, I wish him well and appreciate his time at State. That is probably one position that we should be able to replace his production without seeing a drop off. Georgia, Michigan, TCU and Ohio State are the playoff teams. For State, as I mentioned above, I am hoping for a match up with Notre Dame. It would be the first time we have played them in football. Beyond that it does not matter to me. Just glad we are bowling again for 13th straight year. Obviously, that is a product of having 40 bowl games and being the beneficiary of having some good fortune in 2016 and 2020 when we should not have been played in bowl games. But kind of back doored into each one. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dawg83 Posted December 4, 2022 Author Share Posted December 4, 2022 4 hours ago, maroontide06 said: Since this is the postseason thread I have a question to ask. What made RaRa want to enter the portal? Did something happen internally? Everything I have heard is it was an NIL issue. Some guys on the defensive side of the ball were evidently prioritized. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
maroontide06 Posted December 4, 2022 Share Posted December 4, 2022 33 minutes ago, Dawg83 said: Everything I have heard is it was an NIL issue. Some guys on the defensive side of the ball were evidently prioritized. Has college football turned in to professional sports? Sure sounds like it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dawg83 Posted December 4, 2022 Author Share Posted December 4, 2022 McMurphy is saying Ole Miss to the Texas Bowl against Texas Tech. USM vs Rice in the Lending Tree Bowl (Mobile). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dawg83 Posted December 4, 2022 Author Share Posted December 4, 2022 State gets the Reliaquest (formerly Outback) Bowl vs Illinois. Many were hoping for a matchup with Notre Dame but SC got that instead. Can’t complain about a January bowl in Florida, though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
s1nglewing Posted December 4, 2022 Share Posted December 4, 2022 32 minutes ago, Dawg83 said: McMurphy is saying Ole Miss to the Texas Bowl against Texas Tech. USM vs Rice in the Lending Tree Bowl (Mobile). How does a 5-7 team (Rice) qualify for a bowl? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.