Meridian High has chosen Shelton Gandy as new Head Coach

Eagleman1228

6 minutes ago, pantherpride1999 said:

I don't agree. I think the reputation and facilities do the recruting.

So what is going on at Petal then? You view this job as Top 5 in the state and say facilities are the best. Yet you have won 12 total games in the last 3 seasons. If what you just stated was true, surely Petal would have better players move in to win more that 4 games a year? 

Just now, pantherpride1999 said:

Reputation took a minor hit with Marcus leaving. We have a really good 9th and 8th grade group coming up. Won't take long to be back on top.

I do think had the administration just hired Corey Reynold from the get go we would not be in that situation. He could have continued what marcus buit

I have been reading this and keeping my opinion to myself. But you keep talking about reputation and facilities. Granted you guys have great facilities and with Coach Boyles who I have a ton of respect for HE has a reputation for winning. But please tell me in football exactly what has Petal won? I know Marcus took them to a championship game but come up short on a dumb rule but so be it. Nevil Barr had a few good seasons there but couldn’t get Petal over the hump. He goes to OG and turns that program completely around. Petal is a great school district no doubt but we’re talking football and championships. Hey I’m from Wayne County I know we’ve fallen off but when we talk reputation, facilities and Championships we are ahead of Petal. Kids are not worried about the facilities and reputation trust me we know. They want to win we did a lot more of that in without the fancy facilities.

14 hours ago, pantherpride1999 said:

Petal has been one of the most consistant programs in the state up until the last few years.

Consistently sucking up until about 20 years ago. And other than 2-3 years in mid 2000’s when y’all had Dylan Farris at qb they didn’t start winning regularly till 2011. 

Like I said. Petal is south jones with money.  Both have baseball state title while being real good for a decade in the past.  Both had a decade they were real respected in football and made a trip to state. Both have always had top notch bands. 

otherwise meh. 

On 1/26/2024 at 9:32 AM, pantherpride1999 said:

I don't agree. I think the reputation and facilities do the recruting.

Your reputation is failing over and over .  The facilities you are crowing about are close to twenty years old . Many places have much better now.

This is what everyone is talking about. You think  material things and stealing a coach or other schools players will be the magic formula. Not going to happen. Karma will be on the phone soon.

16 minutes ago, pantherpride1999 said:

There is no where with a better school district and athletic facilities within 200 miles of Petal. OG is the one that does all the recruiting. Without it they would struggle to compete. I expect Coach Boyles to have us right where we need to be shortly. 

Football facility wise, you may be correct. But that basketball gym for a 7a school is horrible. 

15 minutes ago, Vott said:

Football facility wise, you may be correct. But that basketball gym for a 7a school is horrible. 

Vott, schools like Brandon, MC & Germantown fall within that 200 mile radius.  Heck, that would include schools in Alabama and Louisiana as well (Florida included).  It's just a very homeristic statement that doesn't hold water.

Edited by maroontide06
Geographical revision

3 hours ago, pantherpride1999 said:

There is no where with a better school district and athletic facilities within 200 miles of Petal. OG is the one that does all the recruiting. Without it they would struggle to compete. I expect Coach Boyles to have us right where we need to be shortly. 

You are delusional. You wish you could have the success OG has had in football the last 2 decades. And I bet OG will win title #4 before you sniff #1. 

10 hours ago, pantherpride1999 said:

Print the shirts!!!!

Even with Coach Boyles Petal football folds up like a cheap suitcase in the rain in crunch time. You can claim that behind the times stadium but you can’t buy grit and toughness. 
Don’t kid yourself 

23 hours ago, maroontide06 said:

Vott, schools like Brandon, MC & Germantown fall within that 200 mile radius.  Heck, that would include schools in Alabama and Louisiana as well (Florida included).  It's just a very homeristic statement that doesn't hold water.

Petal's facilities are better than any of those schools mentioned. If you've ever been to Petal, you know that our facilities are college level. 

13 hours ago, slicklizard said:

Print the shirts!!!!

Even with Coach Boyles Petal football folds up like a cheap suitcase in the rain in crunch time. You can claim that behind the times stadium but you can’t buy grit and toughness. 
Don’t kid yourself 

Say what you want. I know there is talent comming up and with Coach Boyles back Petal will get back to its winning ways. 

1 hour ago, pantherpride1999 said:

Petal's facilities are better than any of those schools mentioned. If you've ever been to Petal, you know that our facilities are college level. 

You havnt been to any of them to know yourself. Many schools have revamped and modernized facilities since petal built theirs and most visited petal before finalizing their plans. So how exactly is petal nicer? 

1 hour ago, coastfootballfanman said:

I am beginning to think you are pulling a troll job at this point lol

No doubt he is trolling. I have been to petal many times as a visitor and here is my view on Petal athletic facilities.

Football B+ . Its lost some luster, but its still pretty nice. 

Basketball F. Way too small for a 7a school.

Baseball C - Field is nice, lighting is horrible

Softball A. I mean the A.D. was the softball coach so you know its gonna be top notch. 

You guys wanna know what’s the most ironic thing about this conversation ? This person is accusing other schools of recruiting players but in the same breath bragging about Petals facilities and how it will “attract talent”. 

4 minutes ago, pantherpride1999 said:

Our do agree that we are in need of a new basketball gym. A lot of our games are standing room only. 

So I am confused it this thread about Shelton Gandy to Meridian or Petal? May need to rename the post!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, TigersFan said:

So I am confused it this thread about Shelton Gandy to Meridian or Petal? May need to rename the post!

Start one. I’ll put something in it .   Give it a title of something like Ex makes a play for Marcus Boyles  who succumbed to his dark desires and moved back into the shack.

• Haha 2