Vott Posted January 16, 2023 Share Posted January 16, 2023 31 minutes ago, maroontide06 said: You can call me crazy and I may have to eat some crow later on (which I'm perfectly ok with), but I just don't see Wayne County losing to Laurel even if they have to play them twice. Its not Laurel I think they would lose to if they lost twice. Its West Jones Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Wareaglefan1us Posted January 16, 2023 Share Posted January 16, 2023 50 minutes ago, Vott said: Its not Laurel I think they would lose to if they lost twice. Its West Jones WC will be a good football team next season. The issue will be an inexperienced QB. I believe the young man coming up will be fine and I think more of a run threat than in the past couple of years. Carter was definitely a good leader and he will be missed. But offensively they have some weapons. The defense will be strong they lost a couple of really good linebackers but had some good ones behind them #23 will be hard to replace. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
maroontide06 Posted January 16, 2023 Share Posted January 16, 2023 1 hour ago, Vott said: Its not Laurel I think they would lose to if they lost twice. Its West Jones West Jones will be 6A, so Wayne County doesn't have to worry about them come playoff time. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
maroontide06 Posted January 16, 2023 Share Posted January 16, 2023 25 minutes ago, Wareaglefan1us said: WC will be a good football team next season. The issue will be an inexperienced QB. I believe the young man coming up will be fine and I think more of a run threat than in the past couple of years. Carter was definitely a good leader and he will be missed. But offensively they have some weapons. The defense will be strong they lost a couple of really good linebackers but had some good ones behind them #23 will be hard to replace. I fully expect y'all to be at the Point City Invitational in less than 11 months LOL! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Wareaglefan1us Posted January 16, 2023 Share Posted January 16, 2023 10 minutes ago, maroontide06 said: I fully expect y'all to be at the Point City Invitational in less than 11 months LOL! I hate this seven class system. They have watered down 5A so bad but all you can do is play who is in front of you. I mean that with no disrespect to anyone I actually believe our region is pretty solid. But overall 5A is pretty weak Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
maroontide06 Posted January 16, 2023 Share Posted January 16, 2023 9 minutes ago, Wareaglefan1us said: I hate this seven class system. They have watered down 5A so bad but all you can do is play who is in front of you. I mean that with no disrespect to anyone I actually believe our region is pretty solid. But overall 5A is pretty weak I agree with everything you said by 2,000%. I think ya'lls region will be the most competitive in the South 5A-7A, but 5A North is weaker than watered down sweet tea. I hate the 7 class system as well, but it's probably here to stay unless the MHSAA decides to get ungreedy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Wareaglefan1us Posted January 16, 2023 Share Posted January 16, 2023 2 minutes ago, maroontide06 said: I agree with everything you said by 2,000%. I think ya'lls region will be the most competitive in the South 5A-7A, but 5A North is weaker than watered down sweet tea. I hate the 7 class system as well, but it's probably here to stay unless the MHSAA decides to get ungreedy. We both know the MHSAA is about the all mighty dollar so yes it’s here to stay. I hope in the future we can schedule you guys in non region games we’ve had some great games throughout the years. I was glad we were able to keep WJ on schedule. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
maroontide06 Posted January 16, 2023 Share Posted January 16, 2023 Just now, Wareaglefan1us said: We both know the MHSAA is about the all mighty dollar so yes it’s here to stay. I hope in the future we can schedule you guys in non region games we’ve had some great games throughout the years. I was glad we were able to keep WJ on schedule. Picayune had that week 2 opening for the longest, but they filled it with a school from Baton Rouge. It's been a good minute since Picayune has played Wayne County, but hopefully we can get y'all in the rotation soon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bulldogs4 Posted January 16, 2023 Share Posted January 16, 2023 They need to cut the schedule down to 10 games. And start season on the Friday of Labor Day weekend. No need play eleven regular season games if you only have 5 or six division games. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
maroontide06 Posted January 16, 2023 Share Posted January 16, 2023 5 minutes ago, Bulldogs4 said: They need to cut the schedule down to 10 games. And start season on the Friday of Labor Day weekend. No need play eleven regular season games if you only have 5 or six division games. Region 3-6A and region 2-7A will have only 4 division games. So yes I can definitely see the argument there especially starting the seasons after Labor Day, but that doesn't appear to be happening for some reason or another. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bulldogs4 Posted January 17, 2023 Share Posted January 17, 2023 MT6 I just don’t get it. Playing football games in August is beyond dumb. At least by Labor Day weekend, we are generally getting a bit of less hot weather. Plus the natural start of the season works out nicely with the start of college football season. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
maroontide06 Posted January 17, 2023 Share Posted January 17, 2023 37 minutes ago, Bulldogs4 said: MT6 I just don’t get it. Playing football games in August is beyond dumb. At least by Labor Day weekend, we are generally getting a bit of less hot weather. Plus the natural start of the season works out nicely with the start of college football season. It most definitely is but even if they could shift everything back just one week, I think that would be a big difference. Instead of having state championships the first weekend in December, go ahead and move them back to the second weekend. That certainly wouldn’t be detrimental by any means. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Vott Posted January 17, 2023 Share Posted January 17, 2023 3 minutes ago, maroontide06 said: It most definitely is but even if they could shift everything back just one week, I think that would be a big difference. Instead of having state championships the first weekend in December, go ahead and move them back to the second weekend. That certainly wouldn’t be detrimental by any means. In a way it would. You have to consider when they play those two all star games at the end of the year. If you moved it to the 2nd week that makes the MS-AL game the 3rd week. The following week is Christmas break and I don't believe they would want to play the north/South game in January 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
maroontide06 Posted January 17, 2023 Share Posted January 17, 2023 11 minutes ago, Vott said: In a way it would. You have to consider when they play those two all star games at the end of the year. If you moved it to the 2nd week that makes the MS-AL game the 3rd week. The following week is Christmas break and I don't believe they would want to play the north/South game in January Oops I forgot about those. Oh well it’s a nice thought anyway. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bulldogs4 Posted January 17, 2023 Share Posted January 17, 2023 If they cut out one regular season game and cut out the bye week, the championship games can still be the first weekend in December. 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rebel Bert Posted January 17, 2023 Author Share Posted January 17, 2023 10 minutes ago, Bulldogs4 said: If they cut out one regular season game and cut out the bye week, the championship games can still be the first weekend in December. 1A-4A would still have to play last Friday in August. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
maroontide06 Posted January 17, 2023 Share Posted January 17, 2023 11 minutes ago, Rebel Bert said: 1A-4A would still have to play last Friday in August. Even so that could be an improvement and if you could move the jamborees to the last Friday in August for 5A-7A that would help things as well. The fan inside of me isn’t a fan of fewer football games, but I’ll take the trade-off for a September start date for sure. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
coastfootballfanman Posted January 17, 2023 Share Posted January 17, 2023 Start September 8th. Go for 10 straight weeks. No BYE. 1-4A plays 9 games. Playoffs for them start November 10th. 5-7A plays 10 games. Playoffs start for them November 17th. State Championship weekend would be December 7th-9th. MS/AL All-Star Game can be played December 15th. Blackwell could be played second weekend of January. 2 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
maroontide06 Posted January 17, 2023 Share Posted January 17, 2023 10 minutes ago, coastfootballfanman said: Start September 8th. Go for 10 straight weeks. No BYE. 1-4A plays 9 games. Playoffs for them start November 10th. 5-7A plays 10 games. Playoffs start for them November 17th. State Championship weekend would be December 7th-9th. MS/AL All-Star Game can be played December 15th. Blackwell could be played second weekend of January. This makes way too much sense. Unfortunately I don't know if we will ever see this particular model applied though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dubaction Posted January 17, 2023 Share Posted January 17, 2023 What makes you guys think the kids don’t need a bye week? 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
maroontide06 Posted January 17, 2023 Share Posted January 17, 2023 35 minutes ago, Dubaction said: What makes you guys think the kids don’t need a bye week? Picayune doesn't have one. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dogsoldier74 Posted January 17, 2023 Share Posted January 17, 2023 48 minutes ago, maroontide06 said: Picayune doesn't have one. West Harrison and Long Beach are bye weeks 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
coastfootballfanman Posted January 17, 2023 Share Posted January 17, 2023 1 hour ago, Dubaction said: What makes you guys think the kids don’t need a bye week? Well for a very long time, there was no BYE week for teams. Those kids seemed to have handled it fine. I personally am a fan of the BYE week and think every school should utilize it. The new studies and research on recovery being done indicate great things about athletes having some time off and using BYE weeks. I was simply providing a way to start after labor day and be able to finish without extending the year too far. I personally would prefer them cut the season games down to 8 or 9. Have a BYE week. Start after labor day. Give each team basically the whole month of August to prepare for the season. Play 3 or 4 non-region games and then your region slate. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Vott Posted January 17, 2023 Share Posted January 17, 2023 25 minutes ago, coastfootballfanman said: Well for a very long time, there was no BYE week for teams. Those kids seemed to have handled it fine. I personally am a fan of the BYE week and think every school should utilize it. The new studies and research on recovery being done indicate great things about athletes having some time off and using BYE weeks. I was simply providing a way to start after labor day and be able to finish without extending the year too far. I personally would prefer them cut the season games down to 8 or 9. Have a BYE week. Start after labor day. Give each team basically the whole month of August to prepare for the season. Play 3 or 4 non-region games and then your region slate. an 8 game schedule is way too short. 10 games is perfect Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TK_on_the_Coast Posted January 17, 2023 Share Posted January 17, 2023 7 minutes ago, Vott said: an 8 game schedule is way too short. 10 games is perfect The last several seasons, Coach Feaster has taken multiple bye weeks and Stone has only played 8 regular season games, I thought it was odd, but it evidently benefitted them in 2022. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.