Jump to content

Meridian at Oak Grove


Bulldogs4
 Share

Recommended Posts

It has been a long time since this game has mattered. Last year we were competitive for 3+ quarters but OG was the better team and ran away with it in the fourth quarter. 
 

This year, OG is still better but I think we have improved some more. Three keys for Meridian are:

Turnovers 

Penalties

Special Teams

 

That is a lot of areas right there. We have the ability but we have got to play a clean game with 1 or less TO’s, limit the penalties and just be solid on ST’s.

That is a lot to ask but IF we handle those areas, I believe we will have a chance to win.

 

Always tough to win at OG. I know some of you OG guys have been puzzled at your play so far. 
 

I know the old bitterness of the game has melted away. I hope we can rekindle the rivalry but with out the acrimony that existed 10-15 years ago. Just want it to be hard fought and competitive but clean on the field and between the fans. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Bulldogs4 said:

It has been a long time since this game has mattered. Last year we were competitive for 3+ quarters but OG was the better team and ran away with it in the fourth quarter. 
 

This year, OG is still better but I think we have improved some more. Three keys for Meridian are:

Turnovers 

Penalties

Special Teams

 

That is a lot of areas right there. We have the ability but we have got to play a clean game with 1 or less TO’s, limit the penalties and just be solid on ST’s.

That is a lot to ask but IF we handle those areas, I believe we will have a chance to win.

 

Always tough to win at OG. I know some of you OG guys have been puzzled at your play so far. 
 

I know the old bitterness of the game has melted away. I hope we can rekindle the rivalry but with out the acrimony that existed 10-15 years ago. Just want it to be hard fought and competitive but clean on the field and between the fans. 

If the Meridian team that played like they did vs Laurel and NW Rankin shows up OG will blow them out. But if Meridian can keep OG offense off the field I don't believe OG defense can stop the RB from Meridian. I would feed him the rock all night long. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep. Which team shows up?  We have had two good games and two terrible ones. 
The NWR game was a puzzler after we had seemingly turned the corner. We have two good RB’s but have found at least a semblance of a passing game. You have to be able to do both against a good team. 
Certainly a good win last night against Pearl but I have no idea how good they actually are so this Friday will give us a good gauge on how good Meridian is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Meridian has not played anyone this year. Their next 4 of 5 games will let you know where Meridian stands.  They are much better now than in the last several years no doubt. 
 

Oak Grove offensive play calling is like a box of chocolates. One play that needs to be deleted from the playbook is any QB run. Look at the stats… We have Aborom, Gray, and Oatis as prime targets throw the ball down the field and let them do their thing. All this other stuff is not working very effectively IMO.

Edited by ogwarriorbandman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, ogwarriorbandman said:

Dang 51 points scored in the 1st quarter by Meridian and Pearl.  That’s freaking amazing. Please shed some light on how that happened.  
 

Nevermind. Max Preps was WAY off.  22-0

 

Meridian looks pretty good. Should be a good one Friday night. 

Meridian has a stud running back who if not for the guy from Picayune would probably be the top back in the state. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep. I knew about him for awhile and he is just that. Smith pretty good on his feet too. We will have our hands full no doubt. Very athletic groups will be on the field. 
 

Man as usual there are some good teams in Region 3 6A. Ocean Springs needs to come on up and get a taste of this.

Edited by ogwarriorbandman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crazy how far this rivalry has fell off the last few years. Normally an OG Meridian matchup would be the talk of this board but now a days it seems 5a ball and smaller classifications have taken over MST. It’ll be a good game. Meridian has the athletes and running game to give OG some real problems. While I do think OG has one of most talented and athletic rosters in the state they don’t always want it more. We’ll see which team shows up for this one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/1/2022 at 9:10 AM, Bulldogs4 said:

It has been a long time since this game has mattered. Last year we were competitive for 3+ quarters but OG was the better team and ran away with it in the fourth quarter. 
 

This year, OG is still better but I think we have improved some more. Three keys for Meridian are:

Turnovers 

Penalties

Special Teams

 

That is a lot of areas right there. We have the ability but we have got to play a clean game with 1 or less TO’s, limit the penalties and just be solid on ST’s.

That is a lot to ask but IF we handle those areas, I believe we will have a chance to win.

 

Always tough to win at OG. I know some of you OG guys have been puzzled at your play so far. 
 

I know the old bitterness of the game has melted away. I hope we can rekindle the rivalry but with out the acrimony that existed 10-15 years ago. Just want it to be hard fought and competitive but clean on the field and between the fans. 

I no got oak grove winning by 4 points 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I honestly see OG winning this game.  Meridian's offense is turnover prone with way too many interceptions.  Also,I think Meridian RB Hill is the best RB in the state,but he doesn't play in a good scheme on offense or have a good OL.  He's taken a beating the last 3 seasons.  He seriously needs to consider not playing his senior year and enrolling to college early the following spring.  He's had his last 2 seasons ended with a broken leg playing behind a horrible OL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, mout25 said:

I honestly see OG winning this game.  Meridian's offense is turnover prone with way too many interceptions.  Also,I think Meridian RB Hill is the best RB in the state,but he doesn't play in a good scheme on offense or have a good OL.  He's taken a beating the last 3 seasons.  He seriously needs to consider not playing his senior year and enrolling to college early the following spring.  He's had his last 2 seasons ended with a broken leg playing behind a horrible OL.

Or transferring to a better team to utilize him. Meridian is done. They don’t have the sidelines of 75+ guys anymore. I don’t think colleges would see him sitting out a year as a positive thing but I know there are some major players that’d be more than happy to have him if you know who to talk to…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand where you are coming from,but college football is big BUSINESS,more so now than ever.  With his injury history,I wouldn't want to jeopardize his future playing his senior year when he has every offer a high school player could want.  The NIL money these kids are getting is serious.  I don't want to see a, Boobie Myles from Friday Night Lights, situation with this kid.  Colleges might not be crazy about a kid sitting out their senior season,but I'm sure they like that more than getting a kid with a torn ACL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mout,

 

What is the issue with the scheme?

 

Numbers for Meridian have been an issue for years now. I think the roster has about 50 players which is terrible for a 6A school.

 

Our OL has been a weakness for years as well.

 

So with regard to the scheme, with regard to the above problems what would you suggest be done different?

 

 

The other item with Daniel Hill may be a consideration but his Dad is on the staff at Meridian High and is a legendary Wildcat player. 
I would think he would want his son to play out his HS career as a Wildcat. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bulldogs,my issue with the scheme on offense is that there is no creativity to it coupled with bad OL play.  Hill gets handed the ball against 8 man boxes seemingly every play,and instantly is tackled for losses in the backfield with 3-4 people draped all over him.  Also,he is given the ball to much and expected to make a play out of nothing.  There are other players on offense that can make plays but hardly get touches.  For example,how many schools have a 6'3" 200 lb WR and  Florida State commit that hardly gets targeted other than a hope and a prayer deep shots?  As far as the sitting out goes,I only suggested that because of his injury history.   It's a new day,and with these NIL dollars I want kids and their families to get every cent they can get out of the multi BILLION dollar industry that is college football.

Edited by mout25
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get that but I thought Atterberry had been getting some touches along with us throwing the ball a bit more. Definitely need to spread the ball around so that he stays healthy. 
 

Unfortunately, I have not been able to see a game yet and probably will not until the Petal game.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think i've ever seen a team shoot themselves in the foot more than Meridian. The Meridian punter takes a knee at his own 10 yd line before he punts the ball. OMG! Then after the Meridian defense holds Oak Grove to a field goal, Oak Grove kicks off to Meridian and the Meridian deep back catches the ball at the one yd line and then proceeds to fall down. Just really unbelievable! And as others have said the coaches have no sense of imagination and the QB CANNOT throw the ball so the D1 6ft 3 receiver is completely wasted. This team has no clue how to win a football team. It's really sad to watch.

Edited by ccbulldog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We went to see Jay Leno Friday Night so I only saw the score after the game was over. 
Certainly disappointing to let this game slip away. Unfortunately, as you all have noted we have not learned how to win close games. 
Still not giving up on our guys and I hope we can find a way to make the playoffs this year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...