Nicest Stadium in each class?

Blake

Sure it's not fair to compare a 2A stadium with the 6A schools and the resources they have. So let's think about it from the best in each class.

But from a visiting team/fan perspective, whose stadium have you gone to watch your team play in and you came away impressed: bleachers, field, bathrooms, concession stand, etc.

2 hours ago, s1nglewing said:

Any of the schools who play home games at JUCOs (Wesson, Stone Co., etc.) get to use pretty nice facilities.

Itawamba's new stadium is pretty dang nice, but why the HS broke away from using ICC's stadium was just dumb. 

10 hours ago, rebmus said:

Itawamba's new stadium is pretty dang nice, but why the HS broke away from using ICC's stadium was just dumb. 

Only reason I can think of is that it costs a pretty penny to use the facility for every game, plus soccer if they play there. We all know soccer barely makes enough to cover refs. If I had to guess, its probably $300-$500 to use the field each game.

On 4/5/2021 at 9:37 AM, DLCoach7373 said:

Only reason I can think of is that it costs a pretty penny to use the facility for every game, plus soccer if they play there. We all know soccer barely makes enough to cover refs. If I had to guess, its probably $300-$500 to use the field each game.

Could be, it depends on who you ask around Itawamba. 

The story I was told by multiple folks: 

ICC would charge IAHS a "grounds maintenance fee", which was really no more than IAHS would be spending maintaining their own field once it was built. IAHS promised the coach when he was hired that they would have their own stadium if he agreed to take the job. (I forget the coach for sure, Mitchell if I recall correctly... he left IAHS not long after the stadium was built for another (bigger) job). It boiled down to a pride thing for the coach and the HS to have their own field and actually cost a lot more in the long run than just using ICC's field with the agreement in place. 

^^ Just what I was told by folks in Itawamba... which certainly doesn't make it absolutely true. It was sure a stinky topic back when it happened, and it's obviously possible I heard a slanted side of the story. 

I tend to believe it was an agreement between the hired coach and IAHS to get the new field.

I have no idea how true it is about the money of owning a field was cheaper vs what ICC charged to "rent" their field or vice versa. It certainly worked for MANY years, with a shared field. The big question- did ICC raise their end of the agreement significantly at that time which lead IAHS to build their own stadium? I'm not sure we'll ever know for sure the truth behind that. 

I don't know what is the best in 2A, but Loyd Star is horrible. Their bleachers are falling down on the home side. No pressbox on bleachers. They have a large shooting house as pressbox at the end of the stadium that visitors share with announcers, radio, and coaches if coaches have one up top. Field is okay. 

7 hours ago, Vulture700 said:

I don't know what is the best in 2A, but Loyd Star is horrible. Their bleachers are falling down on the home side. No pressbox on bleachers. They have a large shooting house as pressbox at the end of the stadium that visitors share with announcers, radio, and coaches if coaches have one up top. Field is okay. 

I was offered the job there after Adam Cook left & at that time they told me a new stadium was in the works... showed me where the field was already made back behind the baseball field - just needed funds for the stadium & that the Lincoln Co. School District had made a commitment to make it happen before the 2017 season started.  Don't know what happened to nix it.

12 hours ago, rebmus said:

Could be, it depends on who you ask around Itawamba. 

The story I was told by multiple folks: 

ICC would charge IAHS a "grounds maintenance fee", which was really no more than IAHS would be spending maintaining their own field once it was built. IAHS promised the coach when he was hired that they would have their own stadium if he agreed to take the job. (I forget the coach for sure, Mitchell if I recall correctly... he left IAHS not long after the stadium was built for another (bigger) job). It boiled down to a pride thing for the coach and the HS to have their own field and actually cost a lot more in the long run than just using ICC's field with the agreement in place. 

^^ Just what I was told by folks in Itawamba... which certainly doesn't make it absolutely true. It was sure a stinky topic back when it happened, and it's obviously possible I heard a slanted side of the story. 

I tend to believe it was an agreement between the hired coach and IAHS to get the new field.

I have no idea how true it is about the money of owning a field was cheaper vs what ICC charged to "rent" their field or vice versa. It certainly worked for MANY years, with a shared field. The big question- did ICC raise their end of the agreement significantly at that time which lead IAHS to build their own stadium? I'm not sure we'll ever know for sure the truth behind that. 

That makes sense. I could see how having their own field could have a positive impact on the team culture and having a true "home" field. 

East Union has a large roomy stadium in 2A.  It's probably only 4-5 years old.    I have been to Corinth and New Albany and they are both have nice home side seating with large press boxes and the visitor seating is huge as well. They are both 4A

Edited by pancho

Enterprise has a cool set up but nowhere near the nicest or biggest in 2A and now with them moving up to 3A they fall even lower. It is a neat and unique atmosphere.

Neshoba's new home side is nice. Newton Co has a very large capacity for a 4A but could be nicer. Phillies is unique, Union's is nice but small, Newton's was once nice and can still hold a good bit for 2A but has been run down over years. And then there is the Ray! So much history and is huge! West is ok at best. The rest of the Meridian area is pretty pathetic honestly...