College Baseball Season

Dawg83

Yep, don’t think Sully is going to Red Stick. It will be interesting to see who LSU eventually gets. They are a bit delayed now since they are still playing. 

I could still see Bianco going (though the odds are low) or Vitello or someone else that we may not be familiar with.

Is there any possibility of a current Assistant moving up there? 

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, Bulldogs4 said:

Yep, don’t think Sully is going to Red Stick. It will be interesting to see who LSU eventually gets. They are a bit delayed now since they are still playing. 

I could still see Bianco going (though the odds are low) or Vitello or someone else that we may not be familiar with.

Is there any possibility of a current Assistant moving up there? 

I forget the name but LSU's top assistant left last year due to pulmomarys hard headedness.

23 minutes ago, Dawg83 said:

Pat Casey (retired Oregon State coach) is apparently the front runner for the LSU job. Wow. On a bunch of different levels wow.

That would be a great hire for LSU. As mentioned already, A&M made a great hire also. 

The SEC just keeps getting stronger. 

Casey caught a ton of heat after the Luke Heimlich situation a few years ago, and retired shortly after (it also coincided with them winning a national title, but he caught a ton of heat for how he handled that ordeal).

If LSU does indeed hire Casey, they are doubling down on these controversial coaches if you look at who all is employed by that school currently.

The other thing with Casey was his use of Kevin Abel in the 2018 CWS. He threw 247 pitches in three outings over a six day period. He was a Freshman.

Yes they won the CWS but then the following season (2019) he had surgery and missed the season. Then 2020 was a lost year. 

He had a decent season this year (good ERA, a lot of SO’s but control was a problem with a ton of BB’s) but it makes you wonder if Casey sacrificed his long term career for a short term gain. That is when a coach has to be the MAN and the COACH. You know a pitcher is always going to say “I am good , I can go another inning.” 
Then it is up to the coach to say “NO, I am not going to risk you being injured to win this game by letting you throw too many pitches.” and take the heat from fans/alumni who just want to win. 

Otherwise, there is no doubt he is an elite coach with three titles under his belt. 

I just wonder about the fit at LSU. Casey has only ever coached in the state of Oregon. The pressure in Corvallis can't remotely be what it is in Baton Rouge. He's also 62 now. Granted, I realize he is only 3-4 years removed from having some absurdly loaded teams at Oregon State where they won a title and probably should have gotten another one (They went 56-6 in 2017 and lost in the CWS semi's).

Clearly a great coach and it's hard to argue with hiring someone that has won three national titles. I think the potential there is massive and he would be an upgrade from Mainieri, but I could also see it maybe not going as great as some would expect.

Just now, MSTSatchmo said:

What are Arizona’s strengths?   

All I remember hearing about them is they have a big field and it may be around 120 degrees.  Lol 

IMO Ole Miss vs Arizona: 

Starting pitching- OM

Bullpen- AZ

Offense- tossup. (I think the two are very equal here in different ways, but Arizona hosts so I should probably give them the nod?)

Defense- AZ. Ole Miss has had too many key errors this year, and too many close calls in the outfield with "almost errors". I think this will be the difference between who wins/loses this series. 

I agree with rebmus totally on the Tucson regional. Ole MIss must avoid bullpen issues and in games of this magnitude, errors are critical. State also must avoid any errors and can't let folks on base when they give up the bombs over the fence.  I still think the MSU pitch staff is uneasy if they have to use anyone other than McCleod, Bednar, Harding and Simms.  All the others are like a box of chocolates.

Last minute Super Regional Predictions:

ECU over Vandy in 3 games

Stanford over Texas Tech in 2 games

Arkansas over NC State in 3 games

Arizona over Ole Miss in 3 games

Texas over USF in 2 games

State over Notre Dame in 3 games

Dallas Baptist over Virginia in 2 games

Tennessee over LSU in 2 games

1 hour ago, MSTSatchmo said:

ND - I just can’t get over how many runs they scored in their regional and how many were scored in Starkville last weekend. 

What ND did in their Regional is remarkable, and if they continue to hit the ball well then State is probably in deep trouble.

Regarding your comment on "how many runs were scored in Starkville last weekend" I do think it's worth noting that the vast majority of those weren't against State. Campbell, VCU, and Samford had some absolute shootouts. State only gave up 4, 4, and 5 runs in their games. And apparently the forecast as it is now calls for a inward blowing wind this weekend. Based on that and the quality of pitching that the two teams have, I would be pretty surprised if the scoring is out of control like it was in certain games last weekend.

I stand by what I said earlier in the week that on paper State/Notre Dame looks like the best matchup of the 8. Total coin flip, in my opinion. Gave State a slight edge since the games are at Dudy Noble.

Vandy wins Game 1 against ECU 2-0. Rocker was outstanding, so was ECU's ace, but he got zero help from his offense. Vandy did just enough at the plate to get the win.

Rocker's postseason numbers in his career are absurd.

Edited by Dawg83

Stanford up big on Texas Tech in Lubbock. Stanford is a team that hasn't lost a series all year, only reason they didn't win the PAC-12 was due to a COVID cancellation when they were supposed to play the worst team in the league. They are probably more of a national title contender than they've been given credit for.

As I've previously mentioned, that side of the bracket in Omaha has the potential to be an absolute murderer's row.

18 minutes ago, Dawg83 said:

Stanford up big on Texas Tech in Lubbock. Stanford is a team that hasn't lost a series all year, only reason they didn't win the PAC-12 was due to a COVID cancellation when they were supposed to play the worst team in the league. They are probably more of a national title contender than they've been given credit for.

As I've previously mentioned, that side of the bracket in Omaha has the potential to be an absolute murderer's row.

That’s crazy how they didn’t win the PAC12.  

That side of the bracket is not fair at all.  

13 minutes ago, MSTSatchmo said:

That’s crazy how they didn’t win the PAC12.  

That side of the bracket is not fair at all.  

Yep, whoever makes it out of Tucson is going to really have their work cut out for them.

"Congrats on making it to Omaha! Your reward is Kumar Rocker in Game 1"

"Oh but don't worry, your second game will be against one of these two teams that nobody has been able to beat all season"

Edited by Dawg83

Just now, rebmus said:

I figured the Stanford/Texas Tech series would be a great matchup. While it still may end up a great series, I sure didn't expect that blowout today. 

NC State up on Arkansas 1-0 in the second. 

You had an ace going against a guy that hasn’t been starting much. Tech looked out of sorts today. Arkansas doesn’t make it to Omaha. They are gritty and a real good ball club but they don’t have a good rotation IMO. They win a lot of close games but I just have a feeling they are due for a let down.