Jump to content

The Group in the Iron Mask : 5A region 3 updated with seeding discussion for Region 4


slicklizard
 Share

Recommended Posts

Nobody’s saying anything about any of these teams.Some of them are going to be in the playoffs for the first time in a long time. 

I heard Brookhaven was still bad the other night, Everyone knows what it’s like playing there in the playoffs. If they could get a couple of home games they could slip in.

Florence could beat anyone in our region at home.

Who knows what kind nefarious crap Natchez could bring.

I know nothing of the others. Regardless I think the playoffs are going to competitive from the beginning .

 

What about the other members of this region.

Edited by slicklizard
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another one you could bring up is North Pike.  I don’t really know anything about the Pike County schools, but they must be a little more than halfway decent.  If the beating that South Pike put on PRC Friday night is any indication of the type of team you’ll get from Pike County, then look out.  They may be 1 and done in the playoffs, but if they get in they’ll have to win some games to do so.  This region is definitely the smokescreen of 5A South.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, slicklizard said:

Nobody’s saying anything about any of these teams.Some of them are going to be in the playoffs for the first time in a long time. 

I heard Brookhaven was still bad the other night, Everyone knows what it’s like playing there in the playoffs. If they could get a couple of home games they could slip in.

Florence could beat anyone in our region at home.

Who knows what kind nefarious crap Natchez could bring.

I know nothing of the others. Regardless I think the playoffs are going to competitive from the beginning .

 

What about the other members of this region.

North Pike beat Franklin Co. convincingly. Provine lost to callaway convincingly. Natchez got thumped by Hancock south jones lost bad to sumrall. Florence will win that region easily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, maroontide06 said:

Dang, I just looked up North Pike and they are a 3 time defending district champ.  They might be a tough piece of jerky to digest.

Football in pike co gets overlooked. Mccomb SP and NP have all been pretty good over the years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Vott said:

Football in pike co gets overlooked. Mccomb SP and NP have all been pretty good over the years. 

And they did it in 4A which makes it even more impressive.  I remember when Picayune was in 4A and it was tough football every single Friday night.  You never had a cupcake and you had to bring it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slicklizard said:

Who’s going to have the default home field this season ? As a matter of fact is it even going to work the same with only a few region games now ?

Nothing changed. In classes 5-7a regions 1 and 3 top seeds will have homefield all the way thru this season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Vott said:

Nothing changed. In classes 5-7a regions 1 and 3 top seeds will have homefield all the way thru this season. 

So Brookhaven could squeak in as region champ after a three way tie breaker and have three home games. This realignment is shaping up for just that to happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, slicklizard said:

So Brookhaven could squeak in as region champ after a three way tie breaker and have three home games. This realignment is shaping up for just that to happen.

I know how you feel about Crookhaven.  That sounds like a worst case scenario that unfortunately is highly feasible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, slicklizard said:

So Brookhaven could squeak in as region champ after a three way tie breaker and have three home games. This realignment is shaping up for just that to happen.

That is correct. I think Florence wins that region and gets homefield.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

So as of now it’s 

1. Florence  looks like will play the winner of Stone/EC

2. Natchez  

3. Brookhaven 

 

Natchez at Brookhaven is for the second seed Thursday . I haven’t looked to see about the fourth seed.

Nobody runs the wing in this region and I think it’s going to be trouble for them when they face it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Wareaglefan1us said:

I’m pretty sure North Pike is four seed 

That should be right.  North Pike beat Provine and Provine has to play Florence this week.  North Pike has to play South Jones this week.  As long as Florence beats Provine and North Pike beats South Jones, then North Pike is the four seed.  I don't see any reason for that to change.  It looks like Wayne County will have to travel to Florence in the first round.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, maroontide06 said:

That should be right.  North Pike beat Provine and Provine has to play Florence this week.  North Pike has to play South Jones this week.  As long as Florence beats Provine and North Pike beats South Jones, then North Pike is the four seed.  I don't see any reason for that to change.  It looks like Wayne County will have to travel to Florence in the first round.

WC has a good chance at the 2 seed. We beat Vancleve and Gautier beats Laurel. If I looked at it right.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, maroontide06 said:

good point there.  I would think Stone would be favored over East Central, but who knows at this point.  If Wayne County doesn't beat Vancleave they might as well put the nails in the coffin.

If we lose to  Vancleave with what’s on the line we don’t deserve to pass go. That loss to Stone County was a,terrible,terrible loss.and makes me sick to remember it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • slicklizard changed the title to The Group in the Iron Mask : 5A region 3 updated with seeding discussion for Region 4
10 hours ago, slicklizard said:

If we lose to  Vancleave with what’s on the line we don’t deserve to pass go. That loss to Stone County was a,terrible,terrible loss.and makes me sick to remember it.

When I say put the nails in the coffin, that doesn't mean an empty coffin.  Just thought I'd clarify that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/28/2023 at 9:48 PM, maroontide06 said:

And they did it in 4A which makes it even more impressive.  I remember when Picayune was in 4A and it was tough football every single Friday night.  You never had a cupcake and you had to bring it.

I remember those days as well but we both know that 4A then is basically what 5A is now with a mix of the 6A teams. Early 2000s, 4A South was arguably the strength of MS football give or take a few years. Back then you had GC, d'Iberville, Picayune, South Pike, McComb, Laurel, Wayne Co (dropped to 4A), Brookhaven, West Jones. Those were some tough outs. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...