Jump to content

Week 5 Thread


Dawg83
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Dawg83 said:

My gosh Mizzou. What an absolute shellacking.

 

Mizzou at Ole Miss in two weeks is suddenly a lot more interesting.

Like i said, Florida looked at the Ole miss game like Ole looked at LSU and had a major letdown. Mizzou may look at the MS State game as a missed opportunity

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I expected Missouri to win.Classic let down by a Florida team after two emotional games. OTOH, Missouri was licking its wounds after a very physical game at State. I was impressed by them. A bit surprised by the final score but it just goes show how good the SEC is. There are no gimme’s. And that puts the brakes on Florida for at least a week. 
 

Minnesota over Michigan. That win keeps gaining traction for State. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw where Louisville took its third loss too. Definitely not the best resume day for Ole Miss.

 

State’s best performance of the year so far was that Minnesota game. That is a quality team that they went up north to beat down.

 

The South Carolina win for State was looking better for a while but they’ve blown another big lead. Tie game late with Kentucky driving. If they lose this, you feel like Beamer’s days are numbered there.

 

Maybe he’d like to spend more time with his in-laws and coach special teams at State next year. lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Insideradvantage said:

The 56 points No. 16 Mississippi State has given up to No. 7 Alabama today is the most points a ranked SEC team has ever allowed at home in SEC history in a non-OT game.


That would be an amazing stat if a top 5 SEC team hadn’t given up 52 last week.  Kinda makes it just meh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vott said:

Like i said, Florida looked at the Ole miss game like Ole looked at LSU and had a major letdown. Mizzou may look at the MS State game as a missed opportunity


LSU was Ole Miss’s NC and Ole Miss was UF’s NC and UF was Missouri’s NC …. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dawg83 said:

I saw where Louisville took its third loss too. Definitely not the best resume day for Ole Miss.

 

State’s best performance of the year so far was that Minnesota game. That is a quality team that they went up north to beat down.

 

The South Carolina win for State was looking better for a while but they’ve blown another big lead. Tie game late with Kentucky driving. If they lose this, you feel like Beamer’s days are numbered there.

 

Maybe he’d like to spend more time with his in-laws and coach special teams at State next year. lol.

Resumes don’t matter where the playoffs are concerned. The selection committee has proven that if you are 10-2 from the SEC it means nothing who the loses are to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Insideradvantage said:

Resumes don’t matter where the playoffs are concerned. The selection committee has proven that if you are 10-2 from the SEC it means nothing who the loses are to. 

I wasn’t necessarily even meaning playoff resumes. I was just talking in a sense of what do the teams you’ve played suggest about how the rest of the season may go or the caliber of team you appear to be.

 

For State I think it says they’re flawed but probably not as bad as they looked today…. With a big caveat around the overall health status of the team. I’m starting to get pretty concerned about this. Could derail what started off as a really promising season. Ultimately though, State has four remaining home games against unranked teams…. Really need go 3-1 or 4-0 in those for this to be considered a successful season. And then whatever happens on the road in Baton Rouge, Austin, or Oxford, is what it is. You’re playing with house money there. I do think State with a healthy Kamario and Fluff is capable of winning one of those road games though, if they don’t have some of the brutal turnovers they had today.

 

Kinda feels like a four game season the rest of the way for OM. Gotta go 3-1 against the combo of Texas, Georgia, Mizzou, and State to make the Playoff. The good news is that three of those are in Oxford. The bad news is that today was not exactly a ringing endorsement for the Ole Miss defense after seeing Mizzou hold Florida completely in check.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Dawg83 said:

I wasn’t necessarily even meaning playoff resumes. I was just talking in a sense of what do the teams you’ve played suggest about how the rest of the season may go or the caliber of team you appear to be.

 

For State I think it says they’re flawed but probably not as bad as they looked today…. With a big caveat around the overall health status of the team. I’m starting to get pretty concerned about this. Could derail what started off as a really promising season. Ultimately though, State has four remaining home games against unranked teams…. Really need go 3-1 or 4-0 in those for this to be considered a successful season. And then whatever happens on the road in Baton Rouge, Austin, or Oxford, is what it is. You’re playing with house money there. I do think State with a healthy Kamario and Fluff is capable of winning one of those road games though, if they don’t have some of the brutal turnovers they had today.

 

Kinda feels like a four game season the rest of the way for OM. Gotta go 3-1 against the combo of Texas, Georgia, Mizzou, and State to make the Playoff. The good news is that three of those are in Oxford. The bad news is that today was not exactly a ringing endorsement for the Ole Miss defense after seeing Mizzou hold Florida completely in check.


So 6-6 wouldn’t be a successful season?  After the last three years?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MSTSatchmo said:


So 6-6 wouldn’t be a successful season?  After the last three years?  

I would say no. That would probably mean you lost to really underwhelming Oklahoma and Auburn teams in Starkville and the only wins the rest of the way would be Vandy and Tennessee Tech.

 

Short of an injury to Kamario, I think 6-6 would be a major letdown with a QB of this caliber and a team that’s already proved it can beat other competent teams.

 

I think 8-4 would be a really strong season for State at this stage in Lebby’s career. 7-5 is acceptable although perhaps a little disappointing. Anything less than that i feel would be failure.

Edited by Dawg83
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, pancho said:

this won't end well If Kamrio has anything more than a grade 1 turf toe issue. A week off will help but normally these things take more time.

Definitely feels like his running ability is off the table for a while. They made it work against without him running against Mizzou but may be tough to replicate that against other good teams.

 

State had zero running game yesterday with no Fluff and a hurt Kamario. I mean it was brutal.

Edited by Dawg83
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is State the 4th best team in the SEC? 
According to limited results, it looks like it.
Texas, Bama, and UGA are undefeated so top 3.

After that, in order.

 

State beat Mizzou

Mizzou beat Florida 

Florida beat Ole Miss

Ole Miss beat LSU


Another example of why I like the CFP rankings, let’s see more results before trying to rank teams. 
 

For now, State has a legit argument for being the 4th best SEC team. 

 

I actually was impressed with States play yesterday other than turnovers. Play turnover free and this will be an 8 or 9 win team. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, rebmus said:

Is State the 4th best team in the SEC? 
According to limited results, it looks like it.
Texas, Bama, and UGA are undefeated so top 3.

After that, in order.

 

State beat Mizzou

Mizzou beat Florida 

Florida beat Ole Miss

Ole Miss beat LSU


Another example of why I like the CFP rankings, let’s see more results before trying to rank teams. 
 

For now, State has a legit argument for being the 4th best SEC team. 

 

I actually was impressed with States play yesterday other than turnovers. Play turnover free and this will be an 8 or 9 win team. 
 

And add into that that penalties at crucial times as well. Bama still wins the game but we hurt ourselves severely with unforced errors between turnovers and penalties. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it’s an interesting debate for who the 4th best team is in the SEC…. But I think there’s a pretty big gap between the Top 3 and number 4, potentially.

 

Feels like you can kinda pencil in Texas, Bama, and Georgia for the Playoff and then it’s a total crap shoot who, if anyone, gets in after that.

 

Feels like there is going to be a lot of everyone beating up on each other in the league. I feel like there’s a log jam of 8-4 to 9-3 caliber teams and somebody’s gotta lose these games when they all play each other.

Edited by Dawg83
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For State, the health of the team is going to be a critical factor going forward. The Missouri and Bama games have taken a toll on us. If and this is a big IF, we get everyone back (with the exception of the season lost injuries) 80-90% healthy, I like our chances in a number of future games.

Obviously, LSU & TX are losses barring some unforeseen upset. But the other 5 games are winnable with several of them being potential toss-up type games. As 83 mentioned, 8-4 would be a good season, 7-5 a bit disappointing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bulldogs4 said:

For State, the health of the team is going to be a critical factor going forward. The Missouri and Bama games have taken a toll on us. If and this is a big IF, we get everyone back (with the exception of the season lost injuries) 80-90% healthy, I like our chances in a number of future games.

Obviously, LSU & TX are losses barring some unforeseen upset. But the other 5 games are winnable with several of them being potential toss-up type games. As 83 mentioned, 8-4 would be a good season, 7-5 a bit disappointing. 

So LSU is a probable loss?  but ole miss is winnable? I would reverse that. Ole miss is a loss but LSU is a tossup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd say if Kamario and Fluff are healthy the egg bowl will be a high scoring affair and until bryan brown and pete improve the ole miss secondary then anything is possible. Stae folks are saying if they lose to lsu but beat oklahoma and lose to texas and then beat vandy, auburn and texas tech and etc.  lotta IF"S.  on the other hand, what if ole miss loses to mizzou, texas, auburn georgia and oklahoma..........this is turning into an "ifs and buts were candy and nuts" for xmas deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neither LSU or OM are auto losses for State. There are a decent amount of analytics that actually think State is a little better than Ole Miss right now. I know SP+ has State ranked higher.

 

I think I have a read on what OM is but I’m confused as to exactly how good LSU is. I think we’ll learn more about them this weekend, at Kentucky at night can be a really tough environment.

Edited by Dawg83
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LSU has potential to be very good… very talented and well coached.

The glaring issue is QB play is inconsistent.

Levitt is talented enough to lead them to 10-2 and inconsistent enough to lead them to 8-4.

 

Lane should have tried harder to get Simmons to LSU, maybe he did??? I know I’d trust Simmons over Levitt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...