Dawg83 Posted July 22, 2021 Share Posted July 22, 2021 Seems to be some smoke that some major reshuffling could be on the way. Thoughts? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MSTSatchmo Posted July 22, 2021 Share Posted July 22, 2021 There’s a lot of major changes in college athletics right now. It’s really interesting, but I don’t think State or OM will benefit from them. Like Rebmus has said, the super conferences look to be on the way. I don’t know if the NCAA will stick around for the other conferences and lower levels, but they have to be panicking right now. The money makers for them may be gone soon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dawg83 Posted July 24, 2021 Author Share Posted July 24, 2021 This appears to be well on its way to happening, and A&M sure is throwing a little hissy fit about it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MSTSatchmo Posted July 27, 2021 Share Posted July 27, 2021 July 2025. Assuming 11 schools vote yes. This on top of the new NIL rules mean State and OM have to make a run in football as soon as possible. I don’t think State has the talent/coaching combo in place, but OM does. It just needs to be soon - like now. Lol. Basketball and baseball they can still be competitive enough to make the NCAAT/Regionals and make a run at a national championship. Football is a a different story in my opinion. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
pancho Posted July 27, 2021 Share Posted July 27, 2021 Kiffin is one of the best minds in the game. All he lacks now is an average defense, just an average one. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MSTSatchmo Posted July 28, 2021 Share Posted July 28, 2021 4 hours ago, pancho said: Kiffin is one of the best minds in the game. All he lacks now is an average defense, just an average one. I expect an improved defense this year, and the schedule, although ranked pretty tough, I think sets up pretty well for OM. Bama should be a loss on the road, but I believe they’re better than Auburn and UTenn. They also get A&M, Arkansas and LSU at home. I very well could see 9-3 or even 10-2 if they catch a few breaks. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rebmus Posted July 28, 2021 Share Posted July 28, 2021 3 hours ago, pancho said: Kiffin is one of the best minds in the game. All he lacks now is an average defense, just an average one. I've said the same thing about Leach for years. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dawg83 Posted July 28, 2021 Author Share Posted July 28, 2021 (edited) 13 hours ago, rebmus said: I've said the same thing about Leach for years. Ironically Leach did have a decent defense last year, but he also had maybe the worst offense of his career. Expect them to be better offensively this year, we will see how much better though. He won at Texas Tech without any real defense to speak of, but his best teams at Wazzu were actually pretty good on defense. He kind of struck gold with the Alex Grinch hire and I think he had a realization of how big of a difference a competent defense made when paired with his offense, and as a result they averaged over 9 wins a year from 2015-2018. No coincidence that they took a big step back on defense in 2019 and fell to 6-7. Generally speaking, he should be able to attract competent defensive talent to State. This is still Mike Leach we are talking about, so everybody knows what his emphasis will be in recruiting. But he’s got more to work with on defense at State than he had at other stops. And while I don’t think Arnett stays at State much longer (surprised he is back for this year, honestly), he’s a very good DC whose system seems to be effective. I expected State to be TERRIBLE on defense last year, and in spite of having almost zero proven depth entering the year and then getting hit hard by injuries and COVID, they had a very respectable showing for the most part. Depth is still an issue at certain spots but I think the front line group can be quite good. Edited July 28, 2021 by Dawg83 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MSUBulldog2010 Posted July 29, 2021 Share Posted July 29, 2021 Auburn to the SEC East. I would bet the farm on it. Either that or there would have to be a 16-team free for all with the two teams with the best record and strength of schedule at the end playing for the SEC championship game. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rebmus Posted July 30, 2021 Share Posted July 30, 2021 On 7/23/2021 at 11:01 PM, Dawg83 said: This appears to be well on its way to happening, and A&M sure is throwing a little hissy fit about it. A&M threw a hissy fit, but voted (along with ALL SEC teams) to add Texas and Oklahoma. 2025 is the agreed year for the move, I suspect it will end up being 2023. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rebmus Posted August 3, 2021 Share Posted August 3, 2021 Texas and Oklahoma, I expected this move by the SEC. I expected 4 Super Conferences, maybe even 2 Super Conferences. MAYBE even 1 new "conference" with multiple divisions, I still lean 2 conferences right now with 3 or 4 divisions. This move is football related, I highly suspect these football conferences will be separate from every other sport for conference alignment. Now Clemson and Florida State are reaching out to join the SEC. IF this happens, 2 Super Conferences is likely the avenue. The Big10 is likely the second SC, and they'll raid some of the Pac12 (USC and Oregon obviously), Notre Dame, along with remaining Big 12/ACC teams (Oklahoma State is probably first pickings left in this category, assuming Clemson/FSU join the SEC). The teams left in the new Super Conference(s?) will break away from the NCAA and do their own thing. Interesting times ahead, and I'll throw this out. With the SEC making this move to add more teams (and we all know, it's all about the money), there IS a chance that the "new SEC" could vote Ole Miss and/or MSU out of the new conference. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MSTSatchmo Posted August 3, 2021 Share Posted August 3, 2021 How would it work for a “super conference” to be only football? All other sports would still be a part of the NCAA? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rebmus Posted August 3, 2021 Share Posted August 3, 2021 Just now, MSTSatchmo said: How would it work for a “super conference” to be only football? All other sports would still be a part of the NCAA? It's already been done with Notre Dame being part of a conference separating football and other sports. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MSTSatchmo Posted August 3, 2021 Share Posted August 3, 2021 They were all still part of the NCAA though. If the SEC isn’t part of the NCAA what conference would the baseball and basketball and other sports be a part of. Maybe the “SEC” would stay part of the NCAA and the super conference create a new name. I would imagine they would want to keep the “SEC” brand though. This will be interesting. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rebmus Posted August 4, 2021 Share Posted August 4, 2021 10 hours ago, MSTSatchmo said: They were all still part of the NCAA though. If the SEC isn’t part of the NCAA what conference would the baseball and basketball and other sports be a part of. Maybe the “SEC” would stay part of the NCAA and the super conference create a new name. I would imagine they would want to keep the “SEC” brand though. This will be interesting. After the NIL ruling, the NCAA is pretty powerless in football. I don't see the NCAA telling teams they can't be part of the NCAA in other sports unless they're part of the NCAA in football. Well, I can certainly see the NCAA trying to tell teams that, but I don't see it actually working out for the NCAA. It could end up with the new "non-NCAA conferences" having a new league for all sports separate from the NCAA? Whatever happens... yep, definitely interesting times ahead. The Big12 (leftovers) and the Pac12 are talking about going to a combined conference now. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
msaisbandkid Posted September 1, 2021 Share Posted September 1, 2021 On 7/29/2021 at 5:33 PM, MSUBulldog2010 said: Auburn to the SEC East. I would bet the farm on it. Either that or there would have to be a 16-team free for all with the two teams with the best record and strength of schedule at the end playing for the SEC championship game. Auburn and Alabama need to move to the East. Auburn's only rival historically in the SEC West has always been Alabama, unlike others like Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee. If the divisions became purely geographic that would be a lot better for everyone involved. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.