Jump to content

Dawg83

Members
  • Posts

    3,596
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    55

Everything posted by Dawg83

  1. A 3-0 lead feels like 10-0 with how poorly USM has hit this weekend. Barring something shocking Ole Miss is well on its way to Omaha.
  2. Could be wrong but probably gonna be hard for USM to win without scoring a run the entire weekend.
  3. The curse of the 1 overall seed lives on. You are looking at a potentially strange Omaha field this year. Nothing like the year you had Stony Brook and Kent State there but definitely some fresh faces and notable absences.
  4. I think some of those transfers are the mutual decision type. And unless I’m forgetting someone I don’t think any of them were major contributors. Guys like Tepper and Walling had loads of potential but never put it together. Skinner, Corder, and Meche never really showed they could hit SEC pitching. I think they had high hopes for Jack Walker but he had an awful freshman year. State will be bringing in quite a few guys as well. Already committed two transfer pitchers and an outfielder with impressive batting numbers. I expect at least 2-3 additional guys in the coming weeks. I don’t know that you’re talking about a Top 5 or 10 team next year but I’ll be surprised if they aren’t better. I think this was the year where the whole four coaches in four years thing finally caught up with them in recruiting and then they had some hugely significant injuries to make matters worse.
  5. I’ve had this thought for a while that Arkansas might win the whole thing this year, for no reason other than they didn’t last year when everyone thought they would and baseball is weird like that.
  6. I agree B4, I wasn’t super high on A&M either but you can’t discount an Omaha trip whatsoever. It’s really dang hard to get there. Schloss is one of the best coaches in the country, as if anyone had any doubts about it. I see some similarities with Arkansas and Ole Miss. Both underachieved in the regular season but had top end talent all along and are clicking at the right time. USM’s starting pitching is still in good shape for two more games so they’re definitely not out of it yet. But it won’t matter if their offense is as silent as it was today. If Ole Miss goes to Omaha then the story is the pitching. You’re talking about a staff that was very average to below average in the regular season (currently 7th in the SEC in ERA) and they’ve totally flipped a switch and been superb in the postseason to this point.
  7. And the near grand slam play appears to have taken the wind out of USM’s sails. Ole Miss in total command now, looking like USM will have to win two straight elimination games to stay alive. Probably feeling really good about things if you’re OM.
  8. Man, the game in Hattiesburg almost just turned on a dime. Inches away from a grand slam but it was just barely foul and USM gets nothing. I thought the correct call was made but still a rough break for USM.
  9. The look on Gilbert’s face after he got tossed for dropping two f bombs at the ump was priceless. Literally felt like watching a four year old throw a fit and get put in timeout for it.
  10. A&M won via walk off last night. Supposedly 80% of Game 1 winners go to Omaha so we’ll see how that goes this year. If Tennessee goes down then all bets are off with that side of the bracket.
  11. Notre Dame did not flinch at all in Knoxville. Tennessee was clearly frustrated. Hard to have much sympathy for this team though due to all of their antics. We’ll see if Notre Dame can finish it but this is exactly why nothing is for sure in this sport. Would really be something for this Tennessee team to miss Omaha a year after a similar fate befell that great Arkansas team. But it’s far from a done deal. A&M and Louisville currently tied in the 8th as I type this.
  12. Less than 24 hours from the first Super, here are my sure to be wrong picks. USM in 3 Oregon State in 2 Stanford in 2 North Carolina in 3 Louisville in 2 VA Tech in 3 ECU in 2 Tennessee in 3 (I was almost brave enough to pick ND but couldn’t pull the trigger) My national title pick before the tournament was Stanford over Louisville so I guess that’s still in play, might as well stick with it.
  13. Don’t know why USM would want OM to have many more fans than that. The capacity of the stadium is somewhere around 5,500-6,000.
  14. Guess it depends on how you’re measuring it. They’re second nationally in ERA and have a very legitimate three man starting rotation. Generally those kind of teams fare really well in Supers. They’re just OK offensively but this has been the formula all year for them. I won’t pretend to be the foremost expert on all things USM but you don’t win 47 games by accident. Ole Miss has been far more of an enigma than USM, truthfully. Talent galore on offense but it doesn’t always show up. And the pitching staff fluctuates between really good and pretty terrible depending on the weekend. Maybe the good version of OM shows up again this weekend but they seem just as likely to lay an egg as they are to win the the first two games in a rout based on how the season has played out.
  15. I don’t disagree about OM maybe having the most favorable matchup and that’s even with me thinking USM wins the Super. Auburn having to make that trip to Corvallis is maybe as tough as it gets all things considered. I don’t love this A&M team and actually have Louisville winning in College Station. Even as the national title favorite I think Tennessee got a tough draw with Notre Dame. Link Jarrett is a great coach that will have his team ready. I think it’s going three games and ND may win. Agreed on UNC/Arkansas being another great matchup. UNC has been the hottest team in the country in the last 6 weeks, Arkansas is the last 2 seed you’d ever want to host in your ballpark given their talent, coaching, and experience. Yeah, even if you think USM is winning this weekend there’s definitely an argument that this is the path of least resistance for OM. I wouldn’t love having to play this USM team but you don’t exactly have many easier alternatives. I don’t think the SEC goes winless but don’t be shocked if only one or two SEC teams survive this weekend. Those are five really tough Super pairings.
  16. Saturday-Sunday-Monday Super in Hattiesburg, BTW. I would imagine there are massive crowds, particularly the first two days.
  17. Some really interesting Super matchups now that the dust has settled. Cool to see places like USM and ECU get to host again, those are two really good baseball fanbases that will make for great atmospheres at their home park. UNC-Arkansas is a great matchup, as is A&M-Louisville. I don’t love Auburn’s chances in Corvallis but they did look very dominant this past weekend so who knows. Notre Dame over Tennessee is my upset pick, I think the Irish won’t be phased by that environment after playing a Super in Starkville last year. I don’t know enough about Stanford-UConn or VA Tech-Oklahoma to comment much but I could see both being highly competitive.
  18. I have been high on USM all year so I will stick with my first instinct and say USM wins it at home. I tend to think it goes three games and if that’s the case I really think the starting pitching matchup favors USM. Would not be shocked if either team won it in two games.
  19. The USM/Ole Miss Super Regional is happening. In Hattiesburg, no less. Great matchup and a total coin flip in my opinion.
  20. Going to be a wild Monday for baseball, currently 9 (!) winner take all games today and could be a 10th if Arizona wins the first game in Coral Gables. Only one Super pairing has been determined (Tennessee vs Notre Dame, which I think could be a really competitive Super), everything else is still up in the air. As for picks, I think USM has seized back momentum and is frankly the better overall team, and I think they get the win and move on to host their first Super next weekend….. with Ole Miss as the opponent. The Regional I’m probably most intrigued by is Stillwater. Those games have been as crazy as you’ll ever see in the postseason. Should be another knockdown drag out between Okie State and Arkansas tonight.
  21. Arizona just beat Miami, wow. If USM beats LSU tomorrow they will host a Super. Also, this weekend has gone perfectly for Ole Miss so far.
  22. Saw a stat that the SEC West is 10-0 through the first two rounds of the tournament and all five West teams are in the catbird seat of their Regional. Pretty crazy.
  23. Also, USM walked off Kennesaw earlier to set up the rematch with LSU. I think Southern has the pitching depth to make this interesting but they’ll have to hit better than they have for most of the weekend.
  24. Wow. All the football scores this weekend and Ole Miss wins 2-1 against Miami. Extremely well pitched game from both teams, Miami made one mistake pitch to Elko that was the difference. OM has had issues finishing off series at times this year so curious to see what happens tomorrow. For Miami, I haven’t really watched them play this year and I’m sure they didn’t win the ACC on accident, but they’ve hardly been impressive in two days. Struggled with Canisius and then looked really poor offensively today. Maybe Ole Miss is what State was in 2018 or Virginia was last year, talented team that lost more than they should have in the regular season but finally put it together at the right time.
  25. No it’s Elliott. OM sent out a tweet earlier that was misinterpreted.
×
×
  • Create New...