College Baseball Season

Dawg83

3 hours ago, MSTSatchmo said:

USM is kind of underwhelming when you watch them, but they keep on winning.  I don’t know what to think about them.  Lol.  

Guess it depends on how you’re measuring it. They’re second nationally in ERA and have a very legitimate three man starting rotation. Generally those kind of teams fare really well in Supers. They’re just OK offensively but this has been the formula all year for them. I won’t pretend to be the foremost expert on all things USM but you don’t win 47 games by accident.

Ole Miss has been far more of an enigma than USM, truthfully. Talent galore on offense but it doesn’t always show up. And the pitching staff fluctuates between really good and pretty terrible depending on the weekend. Maybe the good version of OM shows up again this weekend but they seem just as likely to lay an egg as they are to win the the first two games in a rout based on how the season has played out.

Edited by Dawg83

The depth of USM's pitching staff is definitely a plus for USM. 

IMO, OM only wins this series IF they win in 2 games. 

IF it goes to game 3, I'd bet good money on USM winning the series. 

I like USM's chances of winning the series, but OM sure has been pretty dang good on the road all year. It should be a fun super regional. 

4 hours ago, pancho said:

is there any possibly way they could add any bleachers to increase attendance?  I saw where usm allotted 600 tickets to OM for each game. 

Don’t know why USM would want OM to have many more fans than that. The capacity of the stadium is somewhere around 5,500-6,000.

Less than 24 hours from the first Super, here are my sure to be wrong picks.

USM in 3

Oregon State in 2

Stanford in 2

North Carolina in 3

Louisville in 2

VA Tech in 3

ECU in 2

Tennessee in 3 (I was almost brave enough to pick ND but couldn’t pull the trigger)

My national title pick before the tournament was Stanford over Louisville so I guess that’s still in play, might as well stick with it.

Edited by Dawg83

Notre Dame did not flinch at all in Knoxville. Tennessee was clearly frustrated. Hard to have much sympathy for this team though due to all of their antics. We’ll see if Notre Dame can finish it but this is exactly why nothing is for sure in this sport. Would really be something for this Tennessee team to miss Omaha a year after a similar fate befell that great Arkansas team. But it’s far from a done deal.

A&M and Louisville currently tied in the 8th as I type this.

48 minutes ago, s1nglewing said:

The look on Gilbert’s face after he got tossed for dropping two f bombs at the ump was priceless. Literally felt like watching a four year old throw a fit and get put in timeout for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You guys already know what I said previously. ND is not going to be intimidated by UT’s tiny stadium plus they are a very good team. They proved that last year. There is no pressure on them. UT with their arrogance has set themselves for a huge fall over the cliff. 
Obviously,  they are capable of winning two in a row. But the problem is, when you act over the top with classless actions, whiny immature behavior, the umpires are going to really be on the lookout and possible interactions they generally overlook are going to be scrutinized heavily. This us against the WORLD mentality works fine when you are winning but not so well when you lose. Frustration sets in and you tend start making mistakes and things can unravel from there. 

Will be interesting today to see what happens. Karma in baseball has a way of coming full circle and humbling those who have already made plans for Omaha prematurely. 

And the near grand slam play appears to have taken the wind out of USM’s sails. Ole Miss in total command now, looking like USM will have to win two straight elimination games to stay alive. Probably feeling really good about things if you’re OM.

Edited by Dawg83

OM is doing what I thought they would.   I expected USM to score more.   Great job on the mound by DeLucia.   USM has used 5 pitchers already.  OM should light up whoever Southern puts out there tomorrow.  

I expect A&M, OM and Tennessee to reach Omaha.  Arkansas got game one so they’re off to a good start, but I expect that series to go 3 and be a toss up.   I don’t like Auburn’s matchup with Oregon State, but we will see how game 1 goes.  In my opinion at least 3 SEC teams in the CWS.  That’s how it should be every year.  Lol. 

14 minutes ago, MSTSatchmo said:

OM should light up whoever Southern puts out there tomorrow.  

USM's Friday night ace is starting tomorrow. He threw Monday so he was held out today. 

Huge win by OM today, still plenty of baseball left in this series though. 

I agree B4, I wasn’t super high on A&M either but you can’t discount an Omaha trip whatsoever. It’s really dang hard to get there. Schloss is one of the best coaches in the country, as if anyone had any doubts about it.

I see some similarities with Arkansas and Ole Miss. Both underachieved in the regular season but had top end talent all along and are clicking at the right time.

USM’s starting pitching is still in good shape for two more games so they’re definitely not out of it yet. But it won’t matter if their offense is as silent as it was today.

If Ole Miss goes to Omaha then the story is the pitching. You’re talking about a staff that was very average to below average in the regular season (currently 7th in the SEC in ERA) and they’ve totally flipped a switch and been superb in the postseason to this point.

Edited by Dawg83