Reclassification Could Occur As Soon as This Fall (22-23)

TK_on_the_Coast

The title of the article suggest Fall 2022. The handbook, reclassification is done every 2 years. This has to be approved by this fall for this type of reclassification to go into affect in 2023-25. Do we use October 1, 2021 numbers and go ahead or we go the normal route of October 1, 2022 numbers for Fall of 2023. 

4 minutes ago, Rebel Bert said:

The title of the article suggest Fall 2022. The handbook, reclassification is done every 2 years. This has to be approved by this fall for this type of reclassification to go into affect in 2023-25. Do we use October 1, 2021 numbers and go ahead or we go the normal route of October 1, 2022 numbers for Fall of 2023. 

I assume that would be part of the vote in April. Use 2021-2022 numbers and start 7 classifications in the fall for two years. So next reclassification would be 2024-2025 I would imagine. 

2 hours ago, TK_on_the_Coast said:

He's off on his counting: Terry will be the smallest 7A not St Martin. Lewisburg largest 6A down to Gautier and Natchez. Unless he's seeing numbers we don't see like October 2021 numbers. 

On 2/4/2022 at 3:38 PM, Rebel Bert said:

Yes, reclass will take place in fall 22 whether they stay with 6 or go to 7 classifications.  But new classifications won't begin till fall of 23. Reclassifications are always done in the fall of the even year every 2 years. Last reclass took place in fall of 20.

1 minute ago, Former Coach said:

Yes, reclass will take place in fall 22 whether they stay with 6 or go to 7 classifications.  But new classifications won't begin till fall of 23. Reclassifications are always done in the fall of the even year every 2 years. Last reclass took place in fall of 20.

"The Mississippi High School Activities Association in April will vote on a proposal from Director Rickey Neaves to add a seventh classification for schools that compete under its banner starting with the 2022 football season."

This is literally the first sentence of the article.  Reclassification would take place for 22-23 school year.  This isn't hard. 

Just now, TK_on_the_Coast said:

"The Mississippi High School Activities Association in April will vote on a proposal from Director Rickey Neaves to add a seventh classification for schools that compete under its banner starting with the 2022 football season."

This is literally the first sentence of the article.  Reclassification would take place for 22-23 school year.  This isn't hard. 

Article wrong. Talked to couple people on the executive committee.

4 hours ago, coastfootballfanman said:

But he wrote his article after all the other big papers in Mississippi posted theirs. I just do not see Tyler Cleveland writing that article and it not be some serious steam behind it. 

Others reported this beginning in the next cycle. He states this year. It goes back to ok which numbers do you use. They say the committee wants the regions on paper. I think it's done deal. If it's this year it's probably the 2020 numbers. 

21 hours ago, TK_on_the_Coast said:

I don't believe you.  

Being that MHSAA mandates schools to use SB Live, they would not have let them publish incorrect information. 

They are not going to make schools build new schedules in all sports in late April. Reclassification will take place next year just like the article said, but won't begin until the 23-24 school year.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Former Coach said:

They are not going to make schools build new schedules in all sports in late April. Reclassification will take place next year just like the article said, but won't begin until the 23-24 school year.

You most likely could be right. However, it is hard for people to not believe it when the opening paragraph begins like this. 

0988F4AF-2BB6-4D55-8ACC-E307A4EBA65C.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Former Coach said:

20220207_123827.thumb.jpg.2f5608a8792f700b2ea46fffc6c8d0df.jpg

That was the sheet given to those in attendance at the MAAA conference back in early January.. The proposal for vote in April, according to the most recent article written about reclassification says it will be possibly this year. Which makes sense. Start it this year, put us on same reclassification with surrounding states that can help with scheduling OOS games. Scheduling games will not be an issue. I promise you coaches are already on the phone setting up games in the event this happens. 

Yeah this article is wrong. All football schedules are done on a two year Home and Home deal. They wouldn’t redo it mid year like that. I know at the MAAA conference it was discussed but everything would stay the same for the 22/23 year, numbers will be counted Oct 22 and used to make the new classes for the 23/24 and 24/25 school years.

18 minutes ago, Guntriple said:

Yeah this article is wrong. All football schedules are done on a two year Home and Home deal. They wouldn’t redo it mid year like that. I know at the MAAA conference it was discussed but everything would stay the same for the 22/23 year, numbers will be counted Oct 22 and used to make the new classes for the 23/24 and 24/25 school years.

Nobody is arguing the point of when schedules and things are traditionally done. We know it’s every 2 years. Folks act like the MHSAA does not have the power/authority to amend their policy to put it in place this year. They could also amend policy and say, we are gonna do every 2 years starting in 2022-2023 and will do reclassification in 2024-2025. Some people act like making a schedule takes months. I have a friend who coaches in Harrison county and his head coach already has 4 non-region games scheduled in the event this happens this year. I know what the policy and handbook says. I promise I do. Lol But acting like putting this in place now would be some great logistical nightmare is just not reality. It would not be difficult at all to this for 2022 season. As far as the article, I just do not believe Tyler Cleveland quote Neaves’ it not be true or some truth to it. Especially with how MHSAA and SBLive are so chummy with sports coverage, stats, etc. It would not surprise me for it to be put off until 2023 like it is supposed to be. But doing it now, has a ton of benefits going forward in my opinion. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, coastfootballfanman said:

Nobody is arguing the point of when schedules and things are traditionally done. We know it’s every 2 years. Folks act like the MHSAA does not have the power/authority to amend their policy to put it in place this year. They could also amend policy and say, we are gonna do every 2 years starting in 2022-2023 and will do reclassification in 2024-2025. Some people act like making a schedule takes months. I have a friend who coaches in Harrison county and his head coach already has 4 non-region games scheduled in the event this happens this year. I know what the policy and handbook says. I promise I do. Lol But acting like putting this in place now would be some great logistical nightmare is just not reality. It would not be difficult at all to this for 2022 season. As far as the article, I just do not believe Tyler Cleveland quote Neaves’ it not be true or some truth to it. Especially with how MHSAA and SBLive are so chummy with sports coverage, stats, etc. It would not surprise me for it to be put off until 2023 like it is supposed to be. But doing it now, has a ton of benefits going forward in my opinion. 

To be fair, Neaves is not quoted in that article that new system would go in place next year.  If I am remembering correctly, Neaves isn't quoted until the end of the article and he just talks about this being a better, more fair system.