MSU Basketball.... the transfer portal awaits.

Blake

There is a rumor that DJ Jeffries is considering leaving Memphis for MSU. Word was he strongly considered to go to MSU out of high school but made a late decision for Memphis, but isn't the happiest there.

Garrison Brooks, who originally signed with State but his mom wanted him to go to North Carolina so Howland let him out of his letter of intent... there is a little smoke about him possibly headed to Starkville too (where his dad is an asst coach). 

If even one of those turns out to be true, that's a big win for Howland. If both..... the expectations for him will grow quite a bit for next season. 

There seems to be more smoke to the Jeffries deal than the Brooks thing right now but either or both of those guys would definitely help State. I also think they need another shooter (somebody in the Tyson Carter mold). If you can either get both of those guys or get one of those guys and a shooter then you're probably really pleased with your offseason.

Next year is the big one for Ben, no doubt about it. He can't afford to miss the tournament no matter who is or isn't on the roster.

In January, the NCAA delayed a move to pass transfer reform that would allow all players to transfer once and play immediately at their new school without sitting out a year, but the rule change could still be adopted later this spring.

There is also a PG from Eastern Kentucky that’s rumored as a state transfer. 

Jeffries hit the portal today and it sounds like he may be State bound. Big pickup if so.

Of course the portal giveth and taketh away, and State did lose Deivon Smith today. I hate that, talented kid, and it now makes a transfer point guard a pretty imminent need.

• 3 weeks later...

The NBA free agent circus was always something I didn't like about the NBA.  I always liked college sports because you could see teams develop from year to year with some of the same guys.  The transfer portal will just make college more AAU-like.  I'm hoping the NCAA will stick to its guns and enforce the sit out rule but if I'm a smart gambler I'm betting they allow transfers to leave and play immediately because it'll save them headaches from having to investigate and enforce transfer rules.  Look for them to adopt the Florida high school mentality of "let them go and play".

Lot of talent for 2021-22. The big question is, will it gel enough to be a Tournament team that potentially could go a long way or will it denigrate into a bunch of selfish me first players and waddle between mediocre and great from night to night? 

We will see what happens. 

On 4/25/2021 at 1:29 PM, Bulldogs4 said:

Lot of talent for 2021-22. The big question is, will it gel enough to be a Tournament team that potentially could go a long way or will it denigrate into a bunch of selfish me first players and waddle between mediocre and great from night to night? 

We will see what happens. 

If your team is made up of a lot of transfers, the chances of the me first hero ball are really high.  Baylor's team this year was a spectacular exception.

Well that is exactly my point. The propensity for it being me first is much greater than it being team first. Which is sad, because these guys can help themselves much more by playing together as a team and making a deep run in the tournament. 

Most certainly the ingredients are there for this to be a great team. But my hopes are much tempered by us having similar talent in 2012 and 2020 and seeing both teams grossly underperform due to selfishness on the individual players part. 

• 4 weeks later...

Howland just about bringing in a whole new team from the transfer portal. Shakeel Moore from NC State announced earlier in the week, Rockett Watts (what a name) from Michigan State apparently about to be in the boat as well.

Big news considering DJ Stewart decided to stay in the draft (a decision I'm not real sure about if we are being honest). If you count Tolu Smith, State's starting five next year will be four transfers and Iverson Molinar. I expect Brooks, Jeffries, and Moore to start immediately and Watts to be the backup PG.

Can’t believe DJ Stewart is staying in the draft. 

potential is there but I just think one more year would be huge. But what do I know. 

I see Europe or maybe the G league or whatever they call the minor NBA league these days.  

We will see