CFB Week 6 Thread

Dawg83

3 minutes ago, MSTSatchmo said:

I’m not watching the game but damn Mingo is having a monster game.  Almost 250 yards receiving.  That has to be close to some kind of record.  

247 yards by Mingo, which did break Elijah Moore's previous record for most receiving yards in a game for an OM receiver. 

What a monster second half by OM. 52-28 final is far from the story of how close this game was in the first half. 

Dart 25/32 for 448 yards is huge also, he finally stepped up to win a game passing. 

Dart did have 2 WTF interceptions... he's a gambler. He'll score some and cost you some. 

Vandy did a nice job of slowing down the running duo of Evans/Judkins, and forced the offense to beat them passing. Dart did his job, along with Mingo and Watkins (Watkins had 7 catches for 117 yards). 

54 minutes ago, Dawg83 said:

Haven’t talked about it here but Tennessee blowing out LSU in Baton Rouge is dang impressive. Not a great LSU team but even so, UT has looked great. Fascinated to see them against Bama and Georgia.

Both of those are winnable games for UT.  Especially the Bama game if Young doesn’t play.  

State should get a nice jump in the polls tomorrow. 

19 Kansas lost.

21 Washington lost.

16 BYU lost.

20 Kansas state won, but barely vs 3-3 Iowa State. (I lean MSU jumps over KS)

13 Kentucky lost and has 2 losses vs MSU with 1 loss. 

11 Utah lost and has 2 losses vs MSU with 1 loss. 

I figure OM stays at #9 and MSU jumps to #17. 

As usual A&M plays a great game against Bama who struggles but gets the win. If Young is not back next week, I think Tennessee breaks the streak and beats Bama. If Young returns, it makes for a great game and it could definitely be a toss up type game since it is at UT. 

State is at Kentucky. If Levis returns this is going to be a difficult game. They have lost two in a row and I suspect they will play a desperation to break that streak. It appears we have matured and hopefully handle a road environment better than we did in BR. 

As I have mentioned before, this year we are going to see some bottom rail on top scores. Texas 49 zip over Oklahoma. Who saw that coming? Obviously TX was favored but to win by 7 TD’s in a shutout? 

Was this the only weekend of the season that we had all SEC matchups with no open dates or OOC games. Other than 2020, this is generally a fluke that only happens once a season or so. Pretty cool though. 

I kind of thought Ole Miss-Vandy would go like it did. Vandy would play well in the first half and had the lead and then Ole Miss would win the second half. Credit to Ole Miss for scoring 52 points. Didn’t think you would put that many points up. 

Also, this weekend reconfirms that it hard to predict games based on past performances. 
Tennessee beat LSU who beat State who beat A&M who beat Arkansas who beat Cincinnati who beat Indiana who beat Illinois who beat Wyoming who beat Air Force who beat Navy who beat East Carolina who beat Old Dominion who beat Virginia Tech who beat Boston College who beat Louisville who beat UCF who beat Georgia Tech who beat Pitt who has not beat anyone of consequence. But you guys get the idea. 

Just a lot of unpredictability this year in CFB. 

14 hours ago, rebmus said:

State should get a nice jump in the polls tomorrow. 

19 Kansas lost.

21 Washington lost.

16 BYU lost.

20 Kansas state won, but barely vs 3-3 Iowa State. (I lean MSU jumps over KS)

13 Kentucky lost and has 2 losses vs MSU with 1 loss. 

11 Utah lost and has 2 losses vs MSU with 1 loss. 

I figure OM stays at #9 and MSU jumps to #17. 

OM does in fact stay put, and State jumps to 16th in the AP and 17th in the Coaches.   

Interesting Bama falls to 3 in the AP poll, but the Coaches remains the same. 

1 hour ago, maroontide06 said:

You ain't lying.  State would have mauled Alabama on Saturday, but we'll wind up getting a 100% healthy Alabama team in two weeks.  I just hope State can keep it close and competitive.

State has not scored a touchdown in Tuscaloosa since 2014. And they’ve scored one touchdown total in the last four games against Bama.

Close and competitive would be a massive step in the right direction. Outside of 2014 and 2017 that series has been a massacre for the last 15 years.

But Kentucky comes first. Need to win that one to have any chance of playing in an NY6 game or the Citrus Bowl.

39 minutes ago, Dawg83 said:

State has not scored a touchdown in Tuscaloosa since 2014. And they’ve scored one touchdown total in the last four games against Bama.

Close and competitive would be a massive step in the right direction. Outside of 2014 and 2017 that series has been a massacre for the last 15 years.

But Kentucky comes first. Need to win that one to have any chance of playing in an NY6 game or the Citrus Bowl.

Yes I agree we need to beat Kentucky this week.  I also understand we have been historically bad against Alabama, but I feel like if we had played them Saturday that we would have beaten them.  We are better than Texas A&M and they almost pulled off the upset.  I also understand we will play a 100% healthy Alabama team in two weeks.  If Alabama has any vulnerabilities then we will need to exploit them and capitalize on them in order to keep the game competitive.  With this veteran team that we have I feel like we will play better against Alabama this year.  I honestly have no idea when Mike Leach will beat Alabama, but it will take some unconventional thinking and game planning in order to do so.  Mike Leach checks that box and that is why he got hired.  Mississippi State & Mike Leach have always had to do more with less and that won't change anytime soon or ever, but he has the ability to do so.  If we take care of Kentucky this week, then the Alabama game has the potential to be a special game (win or lose) if we go in there and play a good football game.

13 minutes ago, MSTSatchmo said:

Even with Young, the key will be Bama’s pass rush.  They would still be putting some serious heat on Rodgers.  

That will be the key against UK.  Can the OL give Rodgers time.  

I'm assuming you are talking about Will Rogers, Mississippi State's quarterback.  I think Mike Leach is starting to realize that a successful running attack helps the passing game.  He doesn't need 200 yards rushing per game, but if State can get 4-6 yards per carry then that opens up the passing game.  The OL has done an outstanding job the last two games.  They just need to keep it up.  Another thing, Rogers doesn't need a lot of time for a play to develop if he can get his passes out quickly on short and accurate routes.  Take what the defense gives you and let that be sufficient.  The long pass plays are what take time to develop which require the offensive line to hold up longer.  If we can get a few of those per game, great.  If not, 5-8 yards per play will get you in the endzone as well and eat up clock.  If we can control time of possession then I like our chances.

4 minutes ago, maroontide06 said:

I'm assuming you are talking about Will Rogers, Mississippi State's quarterback.  I think Mike Leach is starting to realize that a successful running attack helps the passing game.  He doesn't need 200 yards rushing per game, but if State can get 4-6 yards per carry then that opens up the passing game.  The OL has done an outstanding job the last two games.  They just need to keep it up.  Another thing, Rogers doesn't need a lot of time for a play to develop if he can get his passes out quickly on short and accurate routes.  Take what the defense gives you and let that be sufficient.  The long pass plays are what take time to develop which require the offensive line to hold up longer.  If we can get a few of those per game, great.  If not, 5-8 yards per play will get you in the endzone as well and eat up clock.  If we can control time of possession then I like our chances.

Yep.  Rogers. I should have done a discount double check. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, MSTSatchmo said:

Even with Young, the key will be Bama’s pass rush.  They would still be putting some serious heat on Rodgers.  

That will be the key against UK.  Can the OL give Rodgers time.  

State’s OL has been outstanding since the LSU game. And that’s with the original starting LT out with an injury (I’m not sure he’s getting his starting job back).

I don’t expect State to be able to block Will Anderson in two weeks. He absolutely embarrassed State’s OL last year. But Kentucky is near the bottom of the SEC in sacks. Probably not as good of a pass rushing unit as what State saw the last two weeks. As long as State doesn’t melt down because it’s a road game, I expect Rogers to have time to throw against UK and it will be very disappointing if he doesn’t.

On 10/5/2022 at 8:03 PM, rebmus said:

I'll add (knock on wood), OM has had major contributors injured vs Vandy so many times it seems. That's not suggesting Vandy plays dirty at all, it's almost always a weird injury that rarely happens on a given play. 

Trigg left the game with a limp arm. It looked like a broke collarbone to me, probably out for most of the season. 

It almost always happens in a Vandy game.