Who will benefit from the new Classifications the most?

JRoss1958

23 hours ago, JRoss1958 said:

For sure the state, but the big 3 classes will look much different.  You will have the Oak Grove, Madison, and the other big boys in 7a.  Picayune and West Point will stay and run 5A from the looks of it. Who gets a break and gets to play in 6A where it will be easier? 

From the numbers I saw, Picayune as well as Wayne County are trending toward 6A. 6A south will be a gauntlet with the likes of Picayune, Hattiesburg, West Jones, Pascagoula, Wayne County, and Petal all possibly in there. 

Just now, RMcCormick66 said:

Yea I hate that my kid has to ride home for two hours on the bus during the middle of the week after a baseball game. But, what can they really do? Seems like 1A and 2A are so spread out it'd be difficult to group them in a way where there aren't long trips. 

They would never do it but instead of having just a North And South State maybe break 1A up into a North, Mid, Central, South and have 4 Parts based off of geographical area North and Mid would match up in playoffs and Central and South would match up Regions could be smaller eliminating travel for regular season and playoff with 2 regions per Area.

The regions 2 years ago were:

North:

Region 1-  Ashland, Baldwyn (now 2A), Biggersville, Coldwater,

Region 2- Falkner, HW Byers, hickory Flat, Myrtle, Thrasher

Mid

Region 3- French Camp, Hamilton, Nanih Waiya, (now 2A) Noxapater, 

Region 4- Okolona, Smithville, Tupelo Christian, Vardaman, West Lowndes

Central

Region 5-  Coffeeville, Ethel, Leflore County (now 2A), McAdams,

Region 6- Ray Brooks (now closed), Shaw (Now McEvans), Simmons, West Bolivar, West Tallahatchie

South

Region 7-  Leake County, Lumberton, Mount Olive, Resurrection,

Region 8- Richton, Sacred Heart (now 2A  numbers but Independent) Salem, Sebastopol, Stringer (currently 2A)

32 Teams make playoff first 3rds districts match in region match up 4thrd to regions match up state championship winner of North/Mid play winner of Central/South will never happen but would make sense!

50 minutes ago, coastfootballfanman said:

From the numbers I saw, Picayune as well as Wayne County are trending toward 6A. 6A south will be a gauntlet with the likes of Picayune, Hattiesburg, West Jones, Pascagoula, Wayne County, and Petal all possibly in there. 

Hattiesburg trending down the past few years.  As strange as it sounds, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hattiesburg in 5A.  If that happens I would say that Hattiesburg is the biggest beneficiary.  Counting grades 9-11 rather than 9-12 actually makes their enrollment look higher though, so the new method of counting may solidify them in 6A.

48 minutes ago, Mack said:

Hattiesburg trending down the past few years.  As strange as it sounds, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hattiesburg in 5A.  If that happens I would say that Hattiesburg is the biggest beneficiary.  Counting grades 9-11 rather than 9-12 actually makes their enrollment look higher though, so the new method of counting may solidify them in 6A.

Hattiesburg is in the smack middle of 6A even with only 9-11. Numbers I saw have them around 770. 

Edited by coastfootballfanman

2 hours ago, coastfootballfanman said:

Pascagoula won't be a factor in a couple of years.  The upcoming cupboard is BARE.

22 hours ago, coastfootballfanman said:

Hattiesburg is in the smack middle of 6A even with only 9-11. Numbers I saw have them around 770. 

I agree if they take 9-11, but under the new system they would be towards the bottom based on the numbers from last time.  Less than 30 students away from being the largest 5A.  I am guessing that based on their graduation rate that typically their freshman and sophomore classes are larger than their senior classes.  Which is true for many schools, but probably more so with Hattiesburg.  I was saying that since they are counting 9-11 it makes it more likely they are 6A, but 9-12 they are borderline and they have been trending down enrollment.   Not a huge sample size, but looking at the two schools who were tied with enrollment, it looks like Hattiesburg lost 60 students in the current senior class since their freshman year.  West Jones lost 39.  I guess the point is that if they were counting seniors I certainly wouldn't bet against a 5A Hattiesburg.

Based on the numbers from last time I saw that they were tied at 12th in 5A with West Jones, which would make them the 20th/21st of 24 in 6A.  The biggest 5A's using the old numbers had 29 less students than Hattiesburg.  

Either way, they would not be in the middle of 6A, but towards the bottom.

Edited by Mack

On 4/21/2022 at 8:53 AM, coastfootballfanman said:

Can’t wait.

Its no shock hearing that it was Petal that went crying because they were stuck in a region that was unwinable for them . Coach Boyles is in the rearview now and they are spiraling back to their historical average. There are some monsters coming up in our region . Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it.

39 minutes ago, slicklizard said:

Can’t wait.

Its no shock hearing that it was Petal that went crying because they were stuck in a region that was unwinable for them . Coach Boyles is in the rearview now and they are spiraling back to their historical average. There are some monsters coming up in our region . Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it.

I actually would be excited for the battles that would take place in the south half. Would be great football games!