Who will benefit from the new Classifications the most?

JRoss1958

For sure the state, but the big 3 classes will look much different.  You will have the Oak Grove, Madison, and the other big boys in 7a.  Picayune and West Point will stay and run 5A from the looks of it. Who gets a break and gets to play in 6A where it will be easier? 

9 minutes ago, RMcCormick66 said:

I know the folks in Petal are praying they get to go to 6A so they can stop playing OG.

I bet.  It's rumored that them along with Pearl were the main pushers.  But I'm sure there are several small 6a and bigger 5a teams that are excited to get away from the elite 

28 minutes ago, JRoss1958 said:

I bet.  It's rumored that them along with Pearl were the main pushers.  But I'm sure there are several small 6a and bigger 5a teams that are excited to get away from the elite 

If a team is excited to get away from the elite, it means they are scared of competition.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vott said:

If a team is excited to get away from the elite, it means they are scared of competition.

Don't disagree with you at all.  There are teams out there though who will benefit who are stoked they do not have to deal with teams such as Oak Grove, Madison, Brandon, Picayune, West Point etc.. anymore. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rebel Bert said:

4A may become stronger

2A Maynot want Raleigh

3A will be the same in strength 

1A will be interesting as to how the regions work out with 9 non football schools around Tupelo

It may push Delta football back to the south half. Last time that happened, the 1-2 teams left out in the Northeast end up being paired with the central MS 1A schools to form the other north regions and sent us Delta schools south. 

Edited by greenandgoldhawk

40 minutes ago, greenandgoldhawk said:

It may push Delta football back to the south half. Last time that happened, the 1-2 teams left out in the Northeast end up being paired with the central MS 1A schools to form the other north regions and sent us Delta schools south. 

You have: Salem, Taylorsville, Richton, Mt Olive, Stringer playing Football 

MSD, MSB, Pinet Woods non Football

Then Leake County, Noxapater, Nanih Waiya, French Camp, Ethel, McAdams playing football

Maybe that Greenville area 1A Schools will make 5 or 6 team Region.

12 minutes ago, Rebel Bert said:

You have: Salem, Taylorsville, Richton, Mt Olive, Stringer playing Football 

MSD, MSB, Pinet Woods non Football

Then Leake County, Noxapater, Nanih Waiya, French Camp, Ethel, McAdams playing football

Maybe that Greenville area 1A Schools will make 5 or 6 team Region.

I think you will 3 Regions of 7 schools in NE Mississippi. That will give you 21 with 9 non football  and 12 football all 12 making the playoffs. The remaining 31 will be divided by 5 or 6 schools per region with 1 non football  school attached to one or more of the south regions. Further north in the Delta or Starkville to Amory area will make up that 4th north region. The Greenville area 1A's or Starkville area will be in the south. That's my thinking.

The Delta is already in the south in every other sports except football this year and next year. 

The regions 2 years ago were:

North:

Region 1-  Ashland, Baldwyn (now 2A), Biggersville, Coldwater, Falkner, HW Byers, hickory Flat, Myrtle, Thrasher

Region 2- French Camp, Hamilton, Nanih Waiya, (now 2A) Noxapater, Okolona, Smithville, Tupelo Christian, Vardaman, West Lowndes

South:

Region 3-  Coffeeville, Ethel, Leflore County (now 2A), McAdams, Ray Brooks (now closed), Shaw (Now McEvans), Simmons, West Bolivar, West Tallahatchie

Region 4-  Leake County, Lumberton, Mount Olive, Resurrection, Richton, Sacred Heart (now 2A  numbers but Independent) Salem, Sebastopol, Stringer (currently 2A)

Even though the Delta is well north Mississippi, we were in the south for all sports as either region 3 in football or region 5 or 6 in every other sport. 

11 minutes ago, greenandgoldhawk said:

The Delta is already in the south in every other sports except football this year and next year. 

North:

Region 1-  Ashland, Baldwyn (now 2A), Biggersville, Coldwater, Falkner, HW Byers, hickory Flat, Myrtle, Thrasher

Region 2- French Camp, Hamilton, Nanih Waiya, (now 2A) Noxapater, Okolona, Smithville, Tupelo Christian, Vardaman, West Lowndes

South:

Region 3-  Coffeeville, Ethel, Leflore County (now 2A), McAdams, Ray Brooks (now closed), Shaw (Now McEvans), Simmons, West Bolivar, West Tallahatchie

Region 4-  Leake County, Lumberton, Mount Olive, Resurrection, Richton, Sacred Heart (now 2A  numbers but Independent) Salem, Sebastopol, Stringer (currently 2A)

Even though the Delta is well north Mississippi, we were in the south for all sports as either region 3 in football or region 5 or 6 in every other sport. 

Travel was what it was for sports and playoffs. A West Tallahatchie team out of Webb, MS had to travel to Pascagoula and play a Resurrection team, a Simmon team traveled to Lumberton, Richton traveled to Rosedale to play West Bolivar. In Basketball 3 Delta teams (Shaw, West Tally and Ray Brooks) made it to the quarterfinals and all had to traveled to Poplarville to play the quarterfinal games at PRCC. 

The next year a nanih Waiya and Stringer basketball teams had to travel to Shaw to play Mcevans (currently called). This year Mcevans has hit the road to play Sebastopol, Leake County, Bay Springs and Richton. Mount Olive has traveled to Webb to play West Tallahatchie, and West Bolivar traveled from Rosedale to Bay Springs.

1 hour ago, greenandgoldhawk said:

North:

South:

You will have up to 52 schools divided by 8 Regions starting in 2023. 13 are non football and will be included in those 52. 9 of those 13 are in North Ms around Tupelo to Tennessee line. 4 are in the Jackson Metro area although I don't know why MSB and Williams in Raymond is even listed among the 52. What ever region you are slotted in you will play football, basketball, softball, and baseball in those regions. 4 Regions of 7 schools with 3 Regions having only 4 football schools makes sense. 2 Regions of 6 around Jackson and Meridian to Starkville with 2 non football. 2 Regions with 6 all football. But common sense never works in this world. 

12 hours ago, greenandgoldhawk said:

Travel was what it was for sports and playoffs. A West Tallahatchie team out of Webb, MS had to travel to Pascagoula and play a Resurrection team, a Simmon team traveled to Lumberton, Richton traveled to Rosedale to play West Bolivar. In Basketball 3 Delta teams (Shaw, West Tally and Ray Brooks) made it to the quarterfinals and all had to traveled to Poplarville to play the quarterfinal games at PRCC. 

The next year a nanih Waiya and Stringer basketball teams had to travel to Shaw to play Mcevans (currently called). This year Mcevans has hit the road to play Sebastopol, Leake County, Bay Springs and Richton. Mount Olive has traveled to Webb to play West Tallahatchie, and West Bolivar traveled from Rosedale to Bay Springs.

The amount of Travel that these small schools and mostly small districts have had to make have never made sense to me. When a small school district has to send 3 buses 4+ hours away to play a district ball game or a school has to travel over 300 miles to play a playoff game something is wrong! The cost and amount of burden placed on these schools is not right. Than the home team who probably has a smaller visiting crowd because someone had drive that far on a Tuesday to play a basketball game has to give a percentage of the gate to the visiting school as well as the MHSAA. The MHSAA get so many things wrong!

11 hours ago, Rebel Bert said:

You will have up to 52 schools divided by 8 Regions starting in 2023. 13 are non football and will be included in those 52. 9 of those 13 are in North Ms around Tupelo to Tennessee line. 4 are in the Jackson Metro area although I don't know why MSB and Williams in Raymond is even listed among the 52. What ever region you are slotted in you will play football, basketball, softball, and baseball in those regions. 4 Regions of 7 schools with 3 Regions having only 4 football schools makes sense. 2 Regions of 6 around Jackson and Meridian to Starkville with 2 non football. 2 Regions with 6 all football. But common sense never works in this world. 

This is crazy as well! Theoretically you could not win a single ball game and be in a district that has 5 teams but only 4 compete in a sport such as football and be 0-10 and make it to the playoffs where you may travel 4+ hours away to play a number 1 seed who has gone undefeated that year! Yeah, I would be pumped to get on that bus and go play! I do agree you will see every district have at least 5 schools in it and will try to get 5 that play football a few other may have 6 to 7 in other sports, but than how fair is that to the teams that may have to win 5 or 6 games in their sport to qualify for playoffs but another district may only have to win 1 or 2 to get in! It is so crazy. A lot of what is done makes no sense to me! 

5 minutes ago, TigersFan said:

The amount of Travel that these small schools and mostly small districts have had to make have never made sense to me. When a small school district has to send 3 buses 4+ hours away to play a district ball game or a school has to travel over 300 miles to play a playoff game something is wrong! The cost and amount of burden placed on these schools is not right. Than the home team who probably has a smaller visiting crowd because someone had drive that far on a Tuesday to play a basketball game has to give a percentage of the gate to the visiting school as well as the MHSAA. The MHSAA get so many things wrong!

Yea I hate that my kid has to ride home for two hours on the bus during the middle of the week after a baseball game. But, what can they really do? Seems like 1A and 2A are so spread out it'd be difficult to group them in a way where there aren't long trips.