Jackson Academy

Old Golfer

On 4/11/2022 at 4:06 PM, Old Golfer said:

Just saw that Lance Pogue resigned, this is awfully late.  

Not only that. They  cleaned house in football and boys basketball. the JV basketball coach took over as varsity coach. I guess it's cause the new administration wants their coaches in the program. Being reported that Bryan Madden is going to MRA. I think they have a coach the new admin is familiar with that they will bring in. 

On 4/13/2022 at 6:46 AM, longhorn75 said:

Not only that. They  cleaned house in football and boys basketball. the JV basketball coach took over as varsity coach. I guess it's cause the new administration wants their coaches in the program. Being reported that Bryan Madden is going to MRA. I think they have a coach the new admin is familiar with that they will bring in. 

Must have either forced pogue and brooks to take pay cuts or they just don’t want to be good at athletics anymore. Anyway that means three brand new coaches in MAIS 6A. Of the people that aren’t one of them is a second year and one a third year making Herbert Davis the elder statesman of the bunch by a long shot.

5 hours ago, msaisbandkid said:

Must have either forced pogue and brooks to take pay cuts or they just don’t want to be good at athletics anymore. Anyway that means three brand new coaches in MAIS 6A. Of the people that aren’t one of them is a second year and one a third year making Herbert Davis the elder statesman of the bunch by a long shot.

Seems more to me that the administration wants their people in there. Another factor is that since 2018, MRA has been consistently dropping 30+ every game against the Preps and the JAs, including MRA dropping the most points on Jackson Prep in a single game twice (Dropped 50 on em two years in a row), and they are trying to get back to parity I guess. Going to be a tough road for the Raiders, though. Their football program hasn't been in this kind of a spot in almost 30 years.

3 hours ago, longhorn75 said:

Seems more to me that the administration wants their people in there. Another factor is that since 2018, MRA has been consistently dropping 30+ every game against the Preps and the JAs, including MRA dropping the most points on Jackson Prep in a single game twice (Dropped 50 on em two years in a row), and they are trying to get back to parity I guess. Going to be a tough road for the Raiders, though. Their football program hasn't been in this kind of a spot in almost 30 years.

What does that mean?

15 hours ago, longhorn75 said:

By replacing the best high school coach in the state?

On 4/15/2022 at 10:14 PM, msaisbandkid said:

Pogue has been a fantastic coach and one of the all-time greats especially during his tenure at SPHS and he was doing a pretty good job at JA. But we have seen a lot of instances where excellent coaches have been pushed out due to people saying that they haven't won enough. A great example of this is Ricky Black at Jackson Prep a couple years ago. No doubt that Coach Pogue is one of the best defensive football coaches in the state of Mississippi though. 

Edited by longhorn75

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 10:14 PM, msaisbandkid said:

Nothing about Lance Pogue is the best high school coach in the state. He had the best of the best during the SP tenure and fans were sick of his offense and wanted the D to be as good as it was in the 2000’s with Woods. With JA he was consistently 3rd of the big 3 metro teams. 

JA has gone downhill recently and are in danger of becoming the 4th best metro team. However, their junior high was legit this last year. 

As far as other schools in the area, MRA is well-coached and are the best recruiters in the state. Prep has solid athletes and will be well-coached. Both Hartfield and JA are chasing MRA for best recruiters in the state, but coaching has been very suspect at times for both.

Posted (edited)

JA is on the verge of a several years of really bad seasons. Pogue knew this, he knew he could not win without an influx of players, and the new administration (backed by the handful of families who control the school) decided that it would rather lose than to continue recruiting and ensuring the tuition is paid for new players.

Bottom -line: No matter what those affiliated with the school may say, and no matter who the school ultimately hires as its football coach, JA has given up on football (and baseball) for the next several years. At least two coaches have already turned the job down - and there's a reason for that. The football program is a nearly unsalvageable mess.

JA's 2022 schedule and the realistic win projections are telling:

G1: Starkville Academy (Push)

G2: Leake Academy (L)

G3: Winston Academy (W)

G4: St. Joe Madison (L)

G5: MRA (L)

G6: Pillow (Push)

G7: Greenville Christian (L)

G8: Hartfield Academy (L)

G9: Jackson Prep (L)

G10: PCS (Push)

G11: Parklane (Push)

There is only one realistic win on the schedule and 4 pushes. If JA splits those, JA is looking at a 3-win season.

Edited by Washed_Up_Athlete

2 hours ago, MadisonReb10 said:

Nothing about Lance Pogue is the best high school coach in the state. He had the best of the best during the SP tenure and fans were sick of his offense and wanted the D to be as good as it was in the 2000’s with Woods. With JA he was consistently 3rd of the big 3 metro teams. 

He was only head coach at JA for two years. He took JA to the state championship game his first year there, which was something that hadn't happened at JA since 2013 when Sykes was the coach, and then the second year he and Prep were eliminated the same round of the playoffs. 

15 hours ago, MadisonReb10 said:

To give him credit, first year Pogue was head coach, he got JA back in the championship game; yeah sure they got annihilated by MRA, but still. He was able to get them back for the first time since Sykes was coach. They are on the downward trend in terms of football and basketball. Like I've said earlier; JA's football program will be in a situation they haven't seen since the 80s. Their talent levels are dropping, rapidly; and they have to stop the bleeding. 

I'm gonna wait on St Joe - apparently a lot of folks seem to believe they're going to be hot stuff but the proof is in the pudding. They have a long tradition of mediocrity there in football, notwithstanding a handful of seasons, that started in 1990 when they infamously let Bill Raphael go after 40 years as head coach and AD. I hope I'm wrong, but knowing how things work there I don't think so.

Taking into account that a fairly good, but not great JA team beat SJ by three TD's last year... is SJ and JA going to flip that much talent in one season? I mean it's happened before but not often.

JA will also beat Starkville, Pillow, and Parklane with Parklane being the only coin-flip game

46 minutes ago, TheAnswer said:

JA has gone downhill recently and are in danger of becoming the 4th best metro team. However, their junior high was legit this last year. 

As far as other schools in the area, MRA is well-coached and are the best recruiters in the state. Prep has solid athletes and will be well-coached. Both Hartfield and JA are chasing MRA for best recruiters in the state, but coaching has been very suspect at times for both.

Well, MRA has some of the top coaches in the state. Duease has been winning forever, and Herbert Davis has won everywhere he has gone. Also, more people are leaving North Jackson for a plethora of reasons, and the Madison area is super thriving. So, makes a ton of sense MRA is starting to get more students in general, and of those more athletes. Prep's had that talent, and they have the same thing with a booming Rankin County, and the overall academics and athletic tradition. 

10 minutes ago, s1nglewing said:

I'm gonna wait on St Joe - apparently a lot of folks seem to believe they're going to be hot stuff but the proof is in the pudding. They have a long tradition of mediocrity there in football, notwithstanding a handful of seasons, that started in 1990 when they infamously let Bill Raphael go after 40 years as head coach and AD. I hope I'm wrong, but knowing how things work there I don't think so.

Taking into account that a fairly good, but not great JA team beat SJ by three TD's last year... is SJ and JA going to flip that much talent in one season? I mean it's happened before but not often.

JA will also beat Starkville, Pillow, and Parklane with Parklane being the only coin-flip game

JA had a talented group of seniors last year. Frankly, the team wasn't much less talented than MRA. The problem was that the offensive scheme and coaching was atrocious. The offensive struggles led to morale problems. The defense stayed on the field too long and ultimately gave in - due to both morale and just being too tired.

The talent difference between St. Joe and JA this year will be surprising. The recruiting and sponsoring of players at St. Joe is much stronger than some people realize. There is at least one very interested parent paying for several kids to attend the St. Joe. JA is losing virtually every meaningful starter from last year's team. And there are no more Marcus Harris, Dakota Jordan, Daniel Adams, or Max Walenta type players in the school. 

41 minutes ago, TheAnswer said:

He’s a plastic surgeon. I guess he can afford it.

The kid will be a Freshman & has offers from Oregon, Ole Miss, and Akron. SJ had better show out this fall or they'll be hiring another coach I'll bet. And four years of tuition for 8-10 players gets into the half-a-million neighborhood.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, s1nglewing said:

The kid will be a Freshman & has offers from Oregon, Ole Miss, and Akron. SJ had better show out this fall or they'll be hiring another coach I'll bet. And four years of tuition for 8-10 players gets into the half-a-million neighborhood.

He'll be a 17-year old sophomore. EP Sr. has purchased a team for EP Jr. They underperformed to their raw talent level last year, which led to John Bond's firing. If the new coach does not win 5A, either he'll meet the same fate or EP will head to IMG for his last couple of years. He has held an offer from IMG for over a year.

Don't think EP Sr. is the only dad who's in the football team purchasing business. There's a mobile home magnate who's paying for a comparable number of kids at Hartfield.

Edited by Washed_Up_Athlete