Kiffin fires Clements as O-line coach

pancho

19 hours ago, Blake said:

And Lebby is still there. Seems interesting. 

I was surprised, somewhat, that Lebby didn't get a good enough HC offer to leave this past season. IF the OM offense does as well as last year, I'll be very surprised if Lebby doesn't get a better offer. 

differing views on recruits and playing time, from what I understand.  Kiffin told him to drop an offer to a recruit and Clements then told Kiffin to do it. Within a few hours he was told to clean out the office.  I think they had disagreements last season as to depth chart readiness as well.

36 minutes ago, pancho said:

differing views on recruits and playing time, from what I understand.  Kiffin told him to drop an offer to a recruit and Clements then told Kiffin to do it. Within a few hours he was told to clean out the office.  I think they had disagreements last season as to depth chart readiness as well.

Maybe Kiffin did learn something from Saban.  If you’re the boss, be the boss.  

• Like 1

Satch- I agree. The HC is the one in charge so he gets to make all decisions. 

Pancho- I've heard a few rumors but the most repeated (and the one that makes the most sense) is what you said. Disagreements on recruits/development along with Clements told Kiffin to tell the recruit himself. If that last part is true, it's no wonder Kiffin fired Clements. One of the quickest ways to get fired is to tell your boss "Nah, you do it yourself." 

As far as spilling over to Lebby, I stand by it doesn't really matter most likely. Lebby has a STRONG chance of getting a HC offer after this season anyway. 

Just now, MSTSatchmo said:

I’m sure Lebby is a good OC, but how much does Kiffin let him do? 

Great question, and who knows for sure. 

Most in Oxford seem to think Kiffin lets Lebby do almost all play calling but does step in a small % of times. 

10 minutes ago, rebmus said:

Great question, and who knows for sure. 

Most in Oxford seem to think Kiffin lets Lebby do almost all play calling but does step in a small % of times. 

Wow.  I would have thought Kiffin would have more control over it.  He has such a good offensive mind, I guess he does the scheming during the week. 

On 4/29/2021 at 9:19 PM, MSTSatchmo said:

Wow.  I would have thought Kiffin would have more control over it.  He has such a good offensive mind, I guess he does the scheming during the week. 

That's the part of football coaching that has always baffled me.  If your DC calls all the defensive plays and your OC calls all the offensive plays and each handles the subs and development of their respective side of the ball then what exactly does the head coach do that warrants the recognition?  Deciding whether to punt, kick a FG, or go for it on 4th?  I couldn't hand over both sides of the ball.  I'd be doing one or the other.  But then again, I'm not a football guy, just a casual fan.