2021 6A Football....

Blake

On 3/30/2021 at 9:24 PM, Blake said:

... is it another case of Oxford and Oak Grove meeting up for tie breaker?

Who will step in their way and throw them off track?

Hard to see anyone knocking off Oak Grove with what they return. Curious to see how Brandon looks with Sam Williams taking over. Petal will be interesting as well. Pearl should be better. Not very familiar with Warren Central, but I know they have had some success in 2-5A. Will be interesting for sure in that region. As far as coast 6A, I think Pascagoula moving in makes it a better region, but I do not know if I see anyone really challenging 3-6A. Ocean Springs is probably the early favorite with what they return on offense. 

19 hours ago, s1nglewing said:

Some folks in Clinton seem to think they'll be pretty salty

After two early season losses they ran the table until North Half against Oxford. It was a back and forth game with Clinton leading a few times. Oxford scores with about 3 minutes to go to take the least 31-27 and that's your final.

I'm not sure what Clinton has returning, but last year's team was really competitive. 

1 hour ago, Wareaglefan1us said:

Wasn’t Oxford fairly young? 

They return both QB's (they rotated. One will be a Sr, one a Jr) and top two RB's. They lose their top three producing WR's, so they'll be young there. 

Defense should be strong again. 

11 hours ago, Blake said:

They return both QB's (they rotated. One will be a Sr, one a Jr) and top two RB's. They lose their top three producing WR's, so they'll be young there. 

Defense should be strong again. 

Cutcliff has done a great job there. I would not be surprised to see Oxford/OG again the first week of December 

There’s gonna be some really good football in south 6A. With Warren Central moving down region 3 just got tougher. Brandon was young and got a really good coach. Idk much about the coast but I think Ocean Springs returns a good group that gave NWR all they could handle in the playoffs. We’ll get to see if Harrison Central can put up or shut up really quick with OG for their first game. I also think Meridian will be tough. Looking at our schedule, besides Terry there won’t be any breaks for OG this year. 

I am exited about moving back to 6A. I think we would've had a better shot at making a run in 5A, but I like the challenge of 6A alot too. I think we are going to be pretty dang good offensively. We return alot. Defensively I know we lost a good bit to graduation and apparently a few transferred out is the word I'm hearing around town. Excited for this group though. Keilon Parnell is as good as I've seen Goula have the past 10-15 years. 6A will be tough no doubt. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 12:10 PM, GoulaEagle05 said:

I am exited about moving back to 6A. I think we would've had a better shot at making a run in 5A, but I like the challenge of 6A alot too. I think we are going to be pretty dang good offensively. We return alot. Defensively I know we lost a good bit to graduation and apparently a few transferred out is the word I'm hearing around town. Excited for this group though. Keilon Parnell is as good as I've seen Goula have the past 10-15 years. 6A will be tough no doubt. 

Have they transferred all over the Goula area? Like moss point Resurrection and Gautier? 

Hey Dub,I won't have an opinion on us until I see our OL and DL's in the spring game.  Our best 2 players will be RB's Vaughn and Hill.  Vaughn is the 6A state champion in the 200m and placed 2nd in the 100m.  He's one of the fastest players in the state.  We should win more than 3 games though.

Edited by mout25

On 5/2/2021 at 1:41 PM, Dubaction said:

How you feeling about Meridian boss man

Dub, I know you did not ask me but IMO, Douglass has stabilized the program and there was definite improvement last year. We still have a ways to go but it seems the old culture is getting back in place. 
I agree with Mout that our OL/DL are still question marks but the overall attitude of the team and the direction is definitely going up. 
I think we may be close to where we were in 2003-04. OG was clearly better than us then but we were starting to close the gap. This year will be similar. I think we can be competitive with OG but beating you will be a tall order. 
I think making the playoffs this year is very attainable but a deep run would be unlikely. 
At the very least there is excitement among the Wildcat faithful again and I think our attendance will increase dramatically this year. 

On 5/5/2021 at 10:13 AM, Bulldogs4 said:

Dub, I know you did not ask me but IMO, Douglass has stabilized the program and there was definite improvement last year. We still have a ways to go but it seems the old culture is getting back in place. 
I agree with Mout that our OL/DL are still question marks but the overall attitude of the team and the direction is definitely going up. 
I think we may be close to where we were in 2003-04. OG was clearly better than us then but we were starting to close the gap. This year will be similar. I think we can be competitive with OG but beating you will be a tall order. 
I think making the playoffs this year is very attainable but a deep run would be unlikely. 
At the very least there is excitement among the Wildcat faithful again and I think our attendance will increase dramatically this year. 

Makes sense. Obviously I’m not the biggest Meridian lover but I do miss the intensity of the rivalry. I always used to say I looked forward to that game more than playing Petal or Hattiesburg. Up until the recently it was a more meaningful game. The difference now I think is that some years Meridian would straight up out man us with more athletes but now we’re just as athletic as any team in the state. The region is going to be tougher than it has been in a long time with Warren Central in the mix.