State Championships

TigersFan

So if we have 7 classifications do they keep Championships over 2 Days (3 Friday & 4 Saturday) or split it over 3 days (2 Thurs., 2 Fri., & 3 Saturday)? Also what about the field? I remember games being played in Jackson after rain and the field being in horrible shape by the 6th game. Only reason they moved it from Jackson this year was because of SWAC Championship! 

10 minutes ago, CrimsonUnit1988 said:

Alabama gives all state championship participants a week off prior to title game and they start on Wednesday with 7A and go through Friday. 

Since I am sure that no one wants to play at 8 am on any day, I think it will be 1, 3, 3 or 2, 2, 3 . I will not be surprised that they move it a week later to avoid a SWAC championship/SEC/Sun Belt preparation situation.

1 hour ago, TigersFan said:

So if we have 7 classifications do they keep Championships over 2 Days (3 Friday & 4 Saturday) or split it over 3 days (2 Thurs., 2 Fri., & 3 Saturday)? Also what about the field? I remember games being played in Jackson after rain and the field being in horrible shape by the 6th game. Only reason they moved it from Jackson this year was because of SWAC Championship! 

Well for one…. They should never play in Jackson again. Unless they get some turf installed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dubaction said:

Well for one…. They should never play in Jackson again. Unless they get some turf installed. 

100% agree. No way they could do 7 games in Jackson. That field is terrible by the 5th and 6th game even with normal weather conditions. If the Vet would install turf, I would be in favor of hosting them there yearly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TigersFan said:

2 Thursday, 2 Friday, and 3 Saturday. Thursday, Friday at 2:00 and 7:00 Saturday as is now 11,3 7.

52 minutes ago, HammerDown74 said:

I’m pretty positive only 7A gets a week off. They don’t play the day after Thanksgiving and play the following Wednesday.

Yeah my bad. Looks like they all start playoffs the same week and 7A gets a week off as opposed to the opposite MS does with 5A and 6A where they start playoffs a week later than 2A-3A. 

On 2/15/2022 at 10:21 AM, coastfootballfanman said:

100% agree. No way they could do 7 games in Jackson. That field is terrible by the 5th and 6th game even with normal weather conditions. If the Vet would install turf, I would be in favor of hosting them there yearly. 

Consider the following high schools in Jackson area: Brandon, Pearl, NW Rankin, Madison Central, Ridgeland, Clinton, Terry. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rebel Bert said:

Consider the following high schools in Jackson area: Brandon, Pearl, NW Rankin, Madison Central, Ridgeland, Clinton, Terry. 

Ain't no way you play a state title game at Terry High school. Brandon Madison central and Clinton I would agree with.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2022 at 10:12 PM, Rebel Bert said:

As much as it pains me to say this, Brandon probably has the best facilities out of that group. I really like their new setup other than parking. Its just a bit farther off the interstate than the others. 

54 minutes ago, JagsFan77 said:

As much as it pains me to say this, Brandon probably has the best facilities out of that group. I really like their new setup other than parking. Its just a bit farther off the interstate than the others. 

Considering most of the time your 1A/2A/3A South champion is located a short drive away.

13 minutes ago, TigersFan said:

You could do 1A/2A/3A at Mississippi College and do the rest at Veterans!

Geographically it makes sense but I just dont see them putting the championships at a private Baptist college. Other than soccer state being moved to Belhaven for a season I haven't personally seen a private school host another championship. I'd think Brandon, Northwest Rankin, Madison Central, Ridgeland, and Germantown would all have relatively the same size stadium seating wise. Robinson-Hale says it holds 8500 which is the same as Madison Central before they put in tailgating.. I believe MC vs South Panola North State one year had close to 10,000 but a ton of people were standing around the field before they put the tailgating section in. I think It would be about 11,000 now since 2,500 tickets are reserved in the tailgate area. But I think Brandon and Northwest are about the same size. There might be somewhere else I'm forgetting. 

23 minutes ago, TigersFan said:

You could do 1A/2A/3A at Mississippi College and do the rest at Veterans!

No, you play them at the same place and you continue to rotate between the D1 stadiums. Alabama rotates between Alabama, Auburn, and UABs new stadium (very nice btw), and Louisiana plays at the Superdome. No way kids should have to play in the dump that is the Vet.  You think people from Shreveport complains when they have to drive 5hr to watch their team? I don’t, I think they would load up and go support.

13 minutes ago, JagsFan77 said:

Geographically it makes sense but I just dont see them putting the championships at a private Baptist college. Other than soccer state being moved to Belhaven for a season I haven't personally seen a private school host another championship. I'd think Brandon, Northwest Rankin, Madison Central, Ridgeland, and Germantown would all have relatively the same size stadium seating wise. Robinson-Hale says it holds 8500 which is the same as Madison Central before they put in tailgating.. I believe MC vs South Panola North State one year had close to 10,000 but a ton of people were standing around the field before they put the tailgating section in. I think It would be about 11,000 now since 2,500 tickets are reserved in the tailgate area. But I think Brandon and Northwest are about the same size. There might be somewhere else I'm forgetting. 

So MC has a tailgating area inside  the stadium? Thats how to do it right there!

3 minutes ago, Vott said:

So MC has a tailgating area inside  the stadium? Thats how to do it right there!

Brandon and Northwest Rankin do as well. I believe it was actually done first at Brandon, then MC, and now Northwest. With the tiered North tailgate area I think MC has the best tailgate setup of the 3. You aren't just looking through other tents to see the game. You can see over the front rows from the higher tiers. And the videoboard at MC is on the opposite side that you can see pretty clearly. I think Northwest needs to move theirs a little further off the field though. Its dangerously close to the endzone. Brandon and Northwest both have MUCH larger press boxes to accommodate a championship though. The pressbox at MC hasn't been changed since they built it in like 96 or so. One of the worst in 6A, in my opinion, other than some of the JPS pressboxes. It needs to be torn down and start from scratch. The whole thing shakes as people walk in front of it in the bleachers. 

Respectfully….. I’d hate for my school to work so hard all year just to play a state Championship game in yet another high school stadium in December… as nice as some of the facilities you guys are naming are.. I’m glad it’s not in consideration. Playing in the D1 stadiums our state has to offer is a reward for the kids. 

Edited by Dubaction

2 hours ago, Dubaction said:

Respectfully….. I’d hate for my school to work so hard all year just to play a state Championship game in yet another high school stadium in December… as nice as some of the facilities you guys are naming are.. I’m glad it’s not in consideration. Playing in the D1 stadiums our state has to offer is a reward for the kids. 

I agree 100%. If they are not going to turf the Vet, then they need to rotate it between the 3 D1 stadiums we have. 

1 hour ago, coastfootballfanman said:

I agree 100%. If they are not going to turf the Vet, then they need to rotate it between the 3 D1 stadiums we have. 

Work out the schedule for 7 games in 2 days and be ready to move them if necessary to bowl game/conference championship preparation if needed. 

19 hours ago, Dubaction said:

Oh for sure the 3 D1 stadiums are the way to go. But in 1A/2A/3A if its between a mostly empty mud bowl where you can't even run at the Vet or 2 packed crowds at Brandon (or wherever) on turf or playing in , I'm choosing the clean new smaller stadium with turf and a packed crowd.The Vet needs turf if its going to host a championship. It can't handle the wear and tear of 2 games it definitely won't handle 7. 

16 hours ago, Rebel Bert said:

Work out the schedule for 7 games in 2 days and be ready to move them if necessary to bowl game/conference championship preparation if needed. 

If they go to 7A The games will be played over 3 days. 2 on Thursday, 2 on Friday, and 3 on Saturday.

• Like 2