Alabama Reclassification

Rebel Bert

1 minute ago, Rebel Bert said:

MAIS has a point system. They get extra points I believe for playing a higher class team, more for a win over higher class team.

DREAM scenario for me would be to do away with MAIS, class those guys into MHSAA schools and then apply the Power Ranking system for playoffs and all. Would be really fun to see. 

52 minutes ago, coastfootballfanman said:

I found this link that explains LHSAA power rankings and how it works. I think it would be interesting if we used this in Mississippi. Appears to be point based and takes the "human element" out of it. 

https://geauxpreps.com/fb-power-ratings-101/

I'll admit when I was wrong ... this is not how I thought it'd be comprised - Does a good job of removing human bias 

1 hour ago, coastfootballfanman said:

DREAM scenario for me would be to do away with MAIS, class those guys into MHSAA schools and then apply the Power Ranking system for playoffs and all. Would be really fun to see. 

Go to 8 classes then. That will be scenario to figure out. Probably 4 classes of 24, 2 of 32, etc.

2 hours ago, coastfootballfanman said:

MAIS has 84 football schools, 32 are 8 man, 92 all sports 

245 + 92 = 337

9 classes of 24, 24, 24, 24, 32, 32, 59, 59, 59

10 classes of 24, 24, 24, 24, 32, 32, 32, 48, 48, 49

8 hours ago, coastfootballfanman said:

I don't see that happening anytime soon if ever. The MPSA/MAIS has been around since 1968 - it is a 54-year-old organization that is financially quite viable. I suppose one can dream, though.

42 minutes ago, HammerDown74 said:

If they altered the playoffs, I would suggest them to keep the top 4 teams out of each division, but instead of pairing regions, seed teams 1-16 in North/South. This avoids a Raleigh/JDC 2nd round matchup or a team getting to the 3rd round based on the region pairing. 

How do seed 1-4 if you have 4 teams 10-0, 5-0.

14 hours ago, s1nglewing said:

I don't see that happening anytime soon if ever. The MPSA/MAIS has been around since 1968 - it is a 54-year-old organization that is financially quite viable. I suppose one can dream, though.

Oh I agree. It never will. That is why it is my dream scenario. LOL. MAIS does quite well for itself. It would just be fun to see MRA in a region with public schools and all. 

Edited by coastfootballfanman

3 hours ago, coastfootballfanman said:

Oh I agree. It never will. That is why it is my dream scenario. LOL. MAIS does quite well for itself. It would just be fun to see MRA in a region with public schools and all. 

Fun for who? You see what they did to Raleigh? Could you imagine how bad GCS would have beaten Bay Springs? If MAIS schools joined with MHSAA they would only recruit harder. I don’t care to see Mississippi end up like Louisiana or Tennessee where the best programs are private schools.

2 hours ago, FBdude said:

Fun for who? You see what they did to Raleigh? Could you imagine how bad GCS would have beaten Bay Springs? If MAIS schools joined with MHSAA they would only recruit harder. I don’t care to see Mississippi end up like Louisiana or Tennessee where the best programs are private schools.

I agree. It goes back to playing local schools at least 1 or 2 depending on the class and region. Some coaches will not play local schools because of getting whipped badly. Few will want to play Taylorsville, Bay Springs. or Raleigh. Went years without playing Bay Springs. I want to see Rankin Counties big 3 play Jackson Schools to fill those openings. I anticipate they will continue to play Madison Counties big 3.

37 minutes ago, Rebel Bert said:

I agree. It goes back to playing local schools at least 1 or 2 depending on the class and region. Some coaches will not play local schools because of getting whipped badly. Few will want to play Taylorsville, Bay Springs. or Raleigh. Went years without playing Bay Springs. I want to see Rankin Counties big 3 play Jackson Schools to fill those openings. I anticipate they will continue to play Madison Counties big 3.

Jackson schools rarely field competitive football teams and do not travel well at all (don't even half fill their home bleachers when hosting) so there's no incentive competitively or financially to scheduling any Jackson teams.

On 2/17/2022 at 11:34 AM, FBdude said:

Fun for me. GCS was the exception to the rule, not the rule. Lets see how they look next year when their delta all stars have graduated. Your line about them recruiting harder to me has no merit either. Hell, they are recruiting extremely hard now without the same limitations they would face if they joined the MHSAA. Could also up the multiplier we use and make them play up or do sort of how Alabama does with the competitive balance. You dominate 3A for 3-4 years, you bump up to 4A. 

3 minutes ago, coastfootballfanman said:

Fun for me. GCS was the exception to the rule, not the rule. Lets see how they look next year when their delta all stars have graduated. Your line about them recruiting harder to me has no merit either. Hell, they are recruiting extremely hard now without the same limitations they would face if they joined the MHSAA. Could also up the multiplier we use and make them play up or do sort of how Alabama does with the competitive balance. You dominate 3A for 3-4 years, you bump up to 4A. 

MRA beat Raleigh

GCS beat Oak Grove 

1 hour ago, coastfootballfanman said:

So if Jeff Davis Co got on the type of run in 3a the way South Panola did a few years back, you would want them to move up in class?