College Baseball Season

Dawg83

After the A&M sweep of MSU, A&M and Arkansas are tied for the #2 seed in the SECT. 

OM needs to, at least, win 1 next weekend and would be a NCAAT lock with a series win. A&M would likely lock down a host spot with a series win next weekend. 

Should be a good series in Oxford starting Thursday.

2 minutes ago, Insideradvantage said:

Incredible. Where has this been all year? 

It was kind of there before UT came to Oxford and beyotch slapped Ole Miss. That series seemed to put Ole Miss into a slump up until after MSU whipped Ole Miss in Oxford. 

Since the MSU visit, Ole Miss has won 9 of 11 SEC games... getting hot at the right time I hope. 

A&M is not that good. We are just plain bad. Ole Miss sweeps or will at least win 2 of 3 from A&M this weekend.  

USM with a huge win today. They need to sweep Middle Tennessee to get back in the hosting discussion. Tough to do on the road but is possible. 

23 hours ago, rebmus said:

It was kind of there before UT came to Oxford and beyotch slapped Ole Miss. That series seemed to put Ole Miss into a slump up until after MSU whipped Ole Miss in Oxford. 

Since the MSU visit, Ole Miss has won 9 of 11 SEC games... getting hot at the right time I hope. 

My personal opinion is if you want to make an Omaha run, May is not really the time you want to peak. But that’s easy to say after State won a title last year despite getting annihilated in Hoover.

That said, OM’s only hope to salvage their season was to get red hot in May so it’s hard to complain about that at the moment.

The one thing I’ll say is that the OM pitching staff has really found its way since the State series and that has made an enormous difference. We’ll see how long it holds up but they played like a Top 10 team in Baton Rouge.

Ole Miss cancelled the game at Arkansas State tomorrow, which I was glad to see. I don't understand why that game was scheduled in the first place since it's a short week with all teams having a Thursday-Saturday series this coming weekend. Also, the SECT starts Tuesday with short rest again. 

On top of that, even IF Ole Miss won tomorrow night they'd drop in the RPI due to Arkansas State being so bad this season. 

Looking at Hoover scenarios, because of the Auburn-Bama rainout on Sunday, State’s only path to Hoover involves them winning a series against Tennessee. And even then they’d still need some help. So yeah… I would probably not worry about booking a hotel in Hoover next week if I was a State fan.

Ole Miss is going to finish somewhere in the middle of the pack and could have an interesting Tuesday game next week. Lose two or get swept this weekend and you might be in must win territory on Tuesday.

My gut says State wins one against a Tennessee team with nothing to play for and finishes at 10-20 in conference play with no Hoover. Ole Miss wins two at home against A&M and is something like the 7 or 8 seed in Hoover. Winning two also removes any doubt about them making the NCAAT.

Edited by Dawg83

Optimistic about State are we? Just kidding though I have no idea what might happen. Most likely we lose all three. But baseball is a fickle game and who knows, State could catch lightning in a bottle this weekend. 

Ole Miss sweeps A&M. They are playing well and A&M just is not that good. 

USM desperately needs a sweep over MTSU to get back in the hosting discussion. Hopefully they get it. 

46 minutes ago, Bulldogs4 said:

Ole Miss sweeps A&M. They are playing well and A&M just is not that good. 

USM desperately needs a sweep over MTSU to get back in the hosting discussion. Hopefully they get it. 

I hope you're correct about OM vs A&M but will add:

A&M is currently tied for second in the SEC at 17-10, OM is 13-14.

OM is #37 in RPI, A&M is #18.

A&M whipped MSU while MSU won 2 of 3 in Oxford. Piggyback, OM hasn't been that good at home and is good on the road... OM hosts A&M this weekend. 

IF I had to bet on it, I'd bet on A&M taking 2 of 3. OM sweeping sounds like a nice longshot bet. 

USM is #19 in RPI. Pull off a sweep and they're right back in the host discussion, I agree on that. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bulldogs4 said:

But the State team that A&M beat is not even in the same stratosphere as the State team that split with Ole Miss a month ago. 

Ole Miss sweeps or at worst wins 2 out of 3. 

Honestly I’m not sure State is much different than they were a month ago. They weren’t very good even when they won two in Oxford, and they aren’t very good now. Ole Miss I think is playing significantly better in the last few weeks, that’s probably the biggest difference.

This Ole Miss team had no business going 1-5 at home against State and Bama. If they played those series now I think OM’s record would be closer to 4-2 or 5-1.

Of course State-OM is still a rivalry and it is hard to judge the other weekends against that one. 
Definitely OM had no busy getting swept by Bama. State & Ole Miss splitting four games was no real surprise. 

But baseball is a fickle game and you get some of these weekends that leave you scratching your head as to what happened.   

Confidence wise State was in a much better place a month ago. I agree that the team is not much different physically speaking but there is zero confidence that they can even win a conference game now versus a month ago. 

I was curious how serious UT would take this weekend since they have basically nothing to play for- pretty dang serious. 

27-2 win @ MSU. 

MSU must take the next 2 from UT to have a chance to get into the SECT, even then they need Kentucky to lose 2 of 3 vs Auburn or Bama to lose the next 2 vs Arkansas. 

Mizzou won tonight and is also still in the mix for an SECT bid. Like MSU, they have to win 2 more and hope for help. 

Thankfully the season will end Saturday for State.

I think A&M must have a lucky Eight Ball somewhere. They are not that good but they are sitting at 18-10 in the conference.

Ole Miss wins the next two games. 

USM with a huge win tonight @ MTSU. I took a quick glance at the box score and the attendance there was 734. Sad. I am glad our schools support baseball. 

As Coach Polk used to say, you might want to save some of those runs for another day. Tennessee is a tremendous team and could very well win it all this year but we know how cruel baseball can be. However as of now they are the best team in the country. 

35 minutes ago, Bulldogs4 said:

USM with a huge win tonight @ MTSU. I took a quick glance at the box score and the attendance there was 734. Sad. I am glad our schools support baseball. 

I saw a blurb where USM hit a home attendance record vs Ole Miss last week during a midweek game. 

USM has fielded quite a few teams, made many regionals, and made it to Omaha not too long ago. The attendance record at home was a blasted MIDWEEK game vs Ole Miss?? 

The fan support is shameful in Hattiesburg. 

2 minutes ago, rebmus said:

I saw a blurb where USM hit a home attendance record vs Ole Miss last week during a midweek game. 

USM has fielded quite a few teams, made many regionals, and made it to Omaha not too long ago. The attendance record at home was a blasted MIDWEEK game vs Ole Miss?? 

The fan support is shameful in Hattiesburg. 

RPI is what?

9 minutes ago, s1nglewing said:

RPI is what?

Currently USM is #18 in RPI. 

USM is in a good position to be #14-16 in RPI and would deserve to host in that scenario. At the same time, I could see USM not hosting with a #15 RPI when you have another program at #17 RPI that puts butts into seats. 

It's not fair at all to the USM players, BUT it IS a business. 

I am sorry I did not make that clear. USM is playing at Middle Tennessee State this weekend . The attendance was 734. Which is shameful because I think MTSU is in second place in CUSA. 

Not surprising that USM’s record crowd would be against Ole Miss or State. Even if it is a midweek game, that is always going to be a big game. But overall, I believe the attendance there has been excellent this year. They sold a record number of season tickets this year. 

USM is usually a Top 20ish program nationally in attendance every year. Their football attendance has been a running joke for decades but they do deserve some credit for supporting baseball.

You get used to the huge crowds at Dudy Noble or Swayze and forget that crowds of 10K or more in college baseball only happen at a handful of schools. State and OM just happen to be two of them.