College Baseball Season

Dawg83

Yeah that should just about do it for State’s NCAA chances. Realistically would need to go 5-4 or 6-3 against Florida, A&M, and Tennessee. Doesn’t seem like it’s in the cards. And I don’t think they have the pitching to go on a run and win the SEC Tourney.

Seems a near certainty we will have a coaching search in Oxford in about a month.

No such concern for State but definitely some off-season regrouping on the horizon. This was not a young team so a weird year all around. Maybe they hit the portal hard, maybe next year they take some lumps yet again, I’m not sure.

I'm not sure it is humanly possible to fulfill every void that  MSU will have in 1 signing class, portal or not. I am of the opinion that Lemo must show considerable recruiting improvement or he'll have issues by the end of the 24 season. I doubt that Bianco is still employed in Oxford in 4 or 5 weeks.

21 hours ago, pancho said:

I'm not sure it is humanly possible to fulfill every void that  MSU will have in 1 signing class, portal or not. I am of the opinion that Lemo must show considerable recruiting improvement or he'll have issues by the end of the 24 season. I doubt that Bianco is still employed in Oxford in 4 or 5 weeks.

The whole “Lemonis has to show considerable improvement” thing is silly to me. This season is the outlier in his tenure here. It’s not like he pulled a Fresno State and won a fluke national title. Two of his first three teams were essentially wire to wire Top 10 teams, including last year’s that won it all. 2020 was shaping up to be another good year too before COVID hit.

No coach at a major program can constantly miss the NCAAT and keep their job, but that happening seems incredibly unlikely with Lemonis. This year is just one of those years where things don’t work out, all of the elite programs have them from time to time.

His recruiting has been perfectly fine, too.

Edited by Dawg83

If the recruiting is fine then why the no CF in sight on the team?  There is more to the pitching woes than Sims injury as well.  He'll find out in 24  just who runs MSU.  It doesn't seem too silly missing the SEC tourney.  He needs 4 sec caliber pitching recruits on campus in august but I doubt he finds them.  It sure isn't the guy at NEMCC. 

Edited by pancho

3 hours ago, pancho said:

If the recruiting is fine then why the no CF in sight on the team?  There is more to the pitching woes than Sims injury as well.  He'll find out in 24  just who runs MSU.  It doesn't seem too silly missing the SEC tourney.  He needs 4 sec caliber pitching recruits on campus in august but I doubt he finds them.  It sure isn't the guy at NEMCC. 

Yeah there have been a few guys that didn’t perform as expected.

Chris Lemonis is still a good recruiter.

Not getting the Lemonis criticism. One of my good friends just plain does not like him even after winning the NC last year. He says we won it despite Lemonis. I disagree with that whole heartedly. I think he is a very good coach and recruiter. However the whole recruiting deal is still a crap shoot. On paper, the recruiting may look really good but until the players are on campus and actually playing real games, you really do not know how good they are going to be. 

Coming into this season, I expected us to struggle and we have though I thought we would have been improving as the season transpired. Injuries have played a role as well. Losing 4 pitchers to injuries is a lot to overcome. Plus the average fan forgets that we , as NC’s are getting everybody’s best shot every game we play this year. 

OM hosts Mizzou while MSU hosts Florida this weekend. 

Both teams need a series win (probably a sweep) to stay in the mix for a NCAAT bid. 

I figure MSU takes 2-3 while OM takes 1-3. OM is a weird team, better on the road than at home. 

1 hour ago, pancho said:

supposedly McDonnell will come but not If Bianco is fired. If Bianco is fired then the #1 guy is butch thompson

Interesting.  Butch was a huge OM fan growing up, but if OM can get McDonnell I can see OM working out something with Bianco. 

Who knows, but some believe McDonnell is unhappy at UL and will take the job even if Bianco is fired this year. 

Bianco lost a lot of "How dare Ole Miss fire him" after he flirted hard with the LSU opening last year. 

I'm not sure if I believe that, but it's not one of those crazy stories like "Tony Dungy spotted in Oxford, will be new head football coach!" deals. LIPO and we'll see what happens in the offseason. I won't get a call asking my opinion by anyone involved in the firing/hiring. 

Tonight's game isn't the best start by DeLucia. OM is up 3-2 in the middle of the second, but DeLucia is already at 71 pitches. I'm not sure he gets 3 complete tonight, 4 is stretching it. Yikes.

Edited by rebmus

I thought State was turning a corner a couple of weeks ago but it’s just not gonna happen for this team barring something totally shocking. Just a weird year. The injuries have definitely taken a bite out of this team but you can’t blame everything on that.

Too inconsistent. I agree that it has been an odd year. Hard to put your finger on it and I agree that the pitching injuries are one piece of the puzzle but it is way, way more than that. 

I am almost to the point of let’s just get the season over with and start fresh next year. Exasperating is good way to describe this team. 

Though regardless of how it ends up I would at least like to put a chink in Tennessee’s armor in a couple of weeks. 

Edited by Bulldogs4