Reclassification Could Occur As Soon as This Fall (22-23)

TK_on_the_Coast

1 hour ago, coastfootballfanman said:

You think it will be Hancock who goes north? I was think Harrison Central possibly with being right on highway 49. 

Could be.  But something tells me they punish Hancock.

On 4/7/2022 at 3:33 PM, Rebel Bert said:

FOR NORTHEAST are not posting actual breakdown of potential regions. SB Live is saying 4A-1A will be an average of 42. I take that as 42, 42, 42, 47. However if you divide evenly it becomes 43, 43, 43, 44.

The proposal voted on has 2A-4A with 40 teams broken down to 5 teams per region. The remainder(roughly 52 teams will be in 1A evenly divided into 8 regions.

image.png.1ec8c914282378359eac51fa60646cf1.png

On 4/8/2022 at 10:18 AM, Chunky6617 said:

This is from the old numbers 2 years ago. This won’t be what it looks like. Some of these schools have consolidated 

Correct. I think this was just to give them an idea so they could see  how it would shake out. They will use the numbers that come out in October '22 just like they always do.

Read this on another site but it's quite eye opening. 

"Interesting fact based on the last classification numbers: There's a gap of 860 kids between the largest school in 6A and the smallest school in 6A.. There's also a gap of 860 kids between the smallest school in 6A and the largest school in 1A."

According to the last set of enrollment number the seven largest schools were Tupelo, Desoto Central, Ocean Springs, Gulfport, Southaven, Biloxi, and Northwest Rankin. None of those teams have really been world beaters in 6A. In fact, the two largest schools in the state combined to go 13-11 last year. So I don't really think those extra few hundred students are helping them out too much. I don't really get the whole closing the gap argument. 

Remember of those 52 or so schools left in 1A not all of them play football. I look for the 1A districts to have 6 to 7 teams per district but at least 5 that play football. The other 10 or 12 schools who don't will be added to a district and compete in the other main sports.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RUNNINGMAN67 said:

According to the last set of enrollment number the seven largest schools were Tupelo, Desoto Central, Ocean Springs, Gulfport, Southaven, Biloxi, and Northwest Rankin. None of those teams have really been world beaters in 6A. In fact, the two largest schools in the state combined to go 13-11 last year. So I don't really think those extra few hundred students are helping them out too much. I don't really get the whole closing the gap argument. 

You hit the nail on the head. The gap could have been closed by reducing the number of 6A schools to 24, then have 24 5A, then divide the rest evenly. If there were 16 schools cut off of the largest 2 classes, that would only mean 4 additional schools per class down to 1A, not even enough to add another team to every region. 

This was largely done to add another batch of playoff games and championships to the mix. 

3 minutes ago, ccbulldog said:

I feel like this watering down just cheapens a State Championship. You really are just the best of 24 or 40 teams. In the future we'll really never know who's the best team in the state. It's really a shame. 

Honestly I think we would be just fine with 5A at 32 teams, 4A with 32 teams, and the rest divided evenly. With the large number of consolidations that have taken place and will continue to the number of schools keeps dropping. 

2 hours ago, ccbulldog said:

I feel like this watering down just cheapens a State Championship. You really are just the best of 24 or 40 teams. In the future we'll really never know who's the best team in the state. It's really a shame. 

I’m willing to bet if your school wins a state title you won’t feel this way. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, ccbulldog said:

I don't get this logic. Is the NFL watered down because the super bowl winner is the best of 32 teams? Is the NBA and MLB watered down? Their champion is the best of 30. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, coastfootballfanman said:

I don't get this logic. Is the NFL watered down because the super bowl winner is the best of 32 teams? Is the NBA and MLB watered down? Their champion is the best of 30. 

NCAA BCS is best of 4

• Like 2

Other than 7A.. what classification would you think will be more watered down because of this?

Would the old 5A (new 6A) be watered down by adding South Panola, Petal, and Pearl into it? And by "watered down", do you really mean more evenly matched?

Sometimes the best team in the state might be a 7A team, maybe a 6A team, maybe a 5A team.. and there's no way to really say because we don't have an overall championship game. The state championship has always just been the champion of just their own division. That won't change with 7 classes, 6 classes, 3 classes, or 20 classes. Thats what rankings are for. And there's multiples of those, so pick whichever has your team higher. If they don't play its all speculation no matter how many classifications (unless its just 1 classification). 

Right now in 6A, you have teams playing teams that are an entire 5A school's worth of kids larger than them in the same class.. Some of you say it doesn't matter but that's probably just because its not YOUR school that's playing teams almost twice the size in the same division. Most everyone complaining is just looking out for the own interests.

Apparently at the meetings there were enough good points made that the vote passed. Instead of whining about it, figure out how to deal with it, because its happening. No amount of bickering is going to change that at this point. We are not like any other state. Accept it and get on with your life. 

Edited by JagsFan77
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, JagsFan77 said:

Other than 7A.. what classification would you think will be more watered down because of this?

Would the old 5A (new 6A) be watered down by adding South Panola, Petal, and Pearl into it? And by "watered down", do you really mean more evenly matched?

Sometimes the best team in the state might be a 7A team, maybe a 6A team, maybe a 5A team.. and there's no way to really say because we don't have an overall championship game. The state championship has always just been the champion of just their own division. That won't change with 7 classes, 6 classes, 3 classes, or 20 classes. Thats what rankings are for. And there's multiples of those, so pick whichever has your team higher. If they don't play its all speculation no matter how many classifications (unless its just 1 classification). 

Right now in 6A, you have teams playing teams that are an entire 5A school's worth of kids larger than them in the same class.. Some of you say it doesn't matter but that's probably just because its not YOUR school that's playing teams almost twice the size in the same division. Most everyone complaining is just looking out for the own interests.

Apparently at the meetings there were enough good points made that the vote passed. Instead of whining about it, figure out how to deal with it, because its happening. No amount of bickering is going to change that at this point. We are not like any other state. Accept it and get on with your life. 

Exactly. The ones complaining are not affected ever. Also, like you said, the classes aren't watered down. I mean, if you take out the best teams and put them in a class that has really freaking good teams then how is that watered down? If a class seems to have less "name brand" teams then that class is pretty competitive within itself which means it's not watered down. That's the lamest argument I've seen made on here. 5A still has the 5A powerhouses in Picayune, Laurel, West Point, Wayne Co, Laffayette, and there's plenty more. 6A has South Panola, Pearl, Petal, West Jones, Pascagoula, Hattiesburg, Neshoba Central, Grenada, Lake Cormorant, and George Co. Those are probably the best teams in 6A. Can throw Gautier in there as well. It's all a lot more competitive than some make it out to be. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CrimsonUnit1988 said:

Exactly. The ones complaining are not affected ever. Also, like you said, the classes aren't watered down. I mean, if you take out the best teams and put them in a class that has really freaking good teams then how is that watered down? If a class seems to have less "name brand" teams then that class is pretty competitive within itself which means it's not watered down. That's the lamest argument I've seen made on here. 5A still has the 5A powerhouses in Picayune, Laurel, West Point, Wayne Co, Laffayette, and there's plenty more. 6A has South Panola, Pearl, Petal, West Jones, Pascagoula, Hattiesburg, Neshoba Central, Grenada, Lake Cormorant, and George Co. Those are probably the best teams in 6A. Can throw Gautier in there as well. It's all a lot more competitive than some make it out to be. 

I said this same thing the other day. The schools overwhelmingly supported this and the ones complaining don't really have a dog in the race.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Former Coach said:

I said this same thing the other day. The schools overwhelmingly supported this and the ones complaining don't really have a dog in the race.

If the associated voted for it and this is what they wanted then so be it. I think this, like some other decisions that have been made, is reactive and short sighted though. I've also said my opinion is no better than anyone else and my thoughts are mine alone, plus my kids are both out of high school and I doubt I will be at many more games in my lifetime unless grandkids who aren't around yet wind up playing. 

If coaches, principals, and such are happy with things then that's what matters. Casual fans like me can fuss all day but it won't change. 

5 hours ago, coastfootballfanman said:

Where do you go to find enrollment numbers for the privates schools that are in the MSHAA like St. Stanislaus, Piney Woods, French Camp, etc. 

You don't  find them except by googling the school name. You may find it on the school website. Whether it's up to date who knows.

7 hours ago, coastfootballfanman said:

Where do you go to find enrollment numbers for the privates schools that are in the MSHAA like St. Stanislaus, Piney Woods, French Camp, etc. 

You can look at the current classification enrollment numbers HERE . The private schools in MHSAA don’t fluctuate too much with enrollment. So that will give you an idea.

On 4/11/2022 at 10:50 AM, TigersFan said:

Remember of those 52 or so schools left in 1A not all of them play football. I look for the 1A districts to have 6 to 7 teams per district but at least 5 that play football. The other 10 or 12 schools who don't will be added to a district and compete in the other main sports.

9 of those schools are in NE Mississippi. It will be 3 regions of 6 or 7 with 3 non football regions in each region.