7 Classifications

TigersFan

41 minutes ago, coastfootballfanman said:

I think going to 5 classes or staying at 6 could work better if the state forced mass school consolidation of all the smaller communities/counties. There are so many smaller communities/counties with multiple schools that should be consolidated. What Magee/Mendenhall is doing should occur more often. 

I mean, that's asking a lot and seems unreasonable. I get it. Would be cool but more unlikely. 

1 hour ago, coastfootballfanman said:

I think going to 5 classes or staying at 6 could work better if the state forced mass school consolidation of all the smaller communities/counties. There are so many smaller communities/counties with multiple schools that should be consolidated. What Magee/Mendenhall is doing should occur more often. 

With older buildings it's bound to happen sooner or later due to cost.

On 1/19/2022 at 7:51 AM, CrimsonUnit1988 said:

You're stating it's not broke because it never affects Picayune. You're never on the bubble to have to play in 6A and make long distance travels. It does not affect you so therefore it's not broke to you. There's plenty more teams that this affects and it's good and this format actually helps Picayune as well. 

and you don't know what you are talking about. we have bounced all over from 6a to 4a. 

1 hour ago, Rebel Bert said:

I looked at 21-22 school year numbers and yes PRC and Picayune may be heading for Region 3 in the next cycle. 8 schools on the coast they head north and travel.

You are correct. Picayune was about roughly 30 or so students behind Gautier who would be the last 6A based on previous numbers. So there is definitely a chance for that

. Either way, there is no perfect system and you will have some unhappy no matter how they do it. I personally like 7 classes. We don’t have the overall population like other states, but I also do not believe those states have the top heavy numbers like we do. I do not think they have close to 800 student difference between schools competing in the same class. I could be wrong, but it’s just a hunch. There are travel issues and things that need to be worked out and 7 classes helps with that. It is going to be interesting to see how this all plays out! 

15 hours ago, Tiburon said:

and you don't know what you are talking about. we have bounced all over from 6a to 4a. 

Bruh. Seriously, you can say that all you want. When is the last time Picayune was 6A? I'll answer it for you. Not once. They've been 5A before and was 4A in early 2000s with GC. To say they bounce around 3 classifications is absolutely telling at how little you know. They've been in 5A and are firmly planted in 5A with not shot of moving to 6A unless they consolidate to Pearl River County High School. They have 838 students. To make 6A you need at least 1000 to start to even possibly make that jump. Again, it's not broke for Picayune and of course it doesn't bother you. 

12 hours ago, coastfootballfanman said:

You are correct. Picayune was about roughly 30 or so students behind Gautier who would be the last 6A based on previous numbers. So there is definitely a chance for that

. Either way, there is no perfect system and you will have some unhappy no matter how they do it. I personally like 7 classes. We don’t have the overall population like other states, but I also do not believe those states have the top heavy numbers like we do. I do not think they have close to 800 student difference between schools competing in the same class. I could be wrong, but it’s just a hunch. There are travel issues and things that need to be worked out and 7 classes helps with that. It is going to be interesting to see how this all plays out! 

Picayune is 5 places behind Gautier. It's Gautier, Ridgeland, Brookhaven, Provine, Wayne County, then Picayune. This is based off of the last count. 

2 hours ago, CrimsonUnit1988 said:

Picayune is 5 places behind Gautier. It's Gautier, Ridgeland, Brookhaven, Provine, Wayne County, then Picayune. This is based off of the last count. 

My 21-22 numbers puts 8 6A schools on the coast. 2 schools will move North. Not likely to send North Pike to Pascagoula. PRC and Picayune are farthest west and north. 

17 minutes ago, Rebel Bert said:

My 21-22 numbers puts 8 6A schools on the coast. 2 schools will move North. Not likely to send North Pike to Pascagoula. PRC and Picayune are farthest west and north. 

Pascagoula, George County, West Harrison, Pearl River Central, Long Beach, Gautier, Picayune and East Central? Are those the 8 you got?

2 hours ago, coastfootballfanman said:

Pascagoula, George County, West Harrison, Pearl River Central, Long Beach, Gautier, Picayune and East Central? Are those the 8 you got?

7A Biloxi, Gulfport, Hancock, Harrison Central, D'Iberville, St Martin

6A those 8

2 of those 8 will join West Jones, Hattiesburg,  Pearl, Terry, Forest Hill and Jim Hill will be in play for Region 2 or 3 but not both.

16 minutes ago, Rebel Bert said:

7A Biloxi, Gulfport, Hancock, Harrison Central, D'Iberville, St Martin

6A those 8

2 of those 8 will join West Jones, Hattiesburg,  Pearl, Terry, Forest Hill and Jim Hill will be in play for Region 2 or 3 but not both.

Harrison Central would move up to region 3 for 7A right? You left out Ocean Springs. 

If your numbers figure up, that means PRC/Picayune would be region 3 the then most likely? 

19 hours ago, coastfootballfanman said:

I personally like 7 classes. We don’t have the overall population like other states, but I also do not believe those states have the top heavy numbers like we do. I do not think they have close to 800 student difference between schools competing in the same class. I could be wrong, but it’s just a hunch. 

I posted earlier there is a rather large difference between the largest and smallest 7A schools in Georgia, almost 1,500 difference between the two. Also in Tennessee there is about a 1,400 student difference between the largest and smallest 6A schools. Tennessee appears to have placed an equal number of schools in all 6 classes so that's probably why. 

I just think 7 classes is silly for a state this small and the overall number of schools and students will keep dropping. I can understand the desire to have a smaller gap in 6A so just limit them to 24 total schools rather than 32, have 5A be 24 schools, and divide the rest evenly.

There will always be an outlier geographically somewhere in the state no matter how many classes the MHSAA has. Travel has certainly been inconvenient for a lot of teams over the years when there are schools that just get stuck somewhere in an effort to keep numbers even. On the surface 7A may solve some of that but what would be even more helpful would be if the association would accept maybe a 9 team region in one area or even let a school play up a class if requested. 

Edited by MSSportsGuy

Harrison Central would move up to region 3 for 7A right? You left out Ocean Springs. 

If your numbers figure up, that means PRC/Picayune would be region 3 the then most likely? 

I am thinking one of those 8 will be 5A. That 5A Region will include Wayne County, Laurel, South Jones, Petal, and Stone County. It's got to be George County I think. 

Based on what I saw number wise, from last count. Hattiesburg would fall into region 3-6A if we went to 7 classes 

7A Region 3: Brandon, Harrison Central, Meridian, NW Rankin, Oak Grove , Pearl

7A Region 4: Biloxi, D'Iberville, Gulfport, Hancock, Ocean Springs, St Martin 

6A Region 3: Hattiesburg, PRC, Petal, Picayune, Terry, West Jones 

6A Region 4: East Central, Gautier, George County, Long Beach, Pascagoula, West Harrison 

5A Region 3: Brookhaven, Florence, Forest Hill, Jim Hill, Natchez, North Pike 

5A Region 4: Laurel, NE Jones, South Jones, Stone County, Vancleave, Wayne County 

1 hour ago, Rebel Bert said:

6A Region 4: East Central, Gautier, George County, Long Beach, Pascagoula, West Harrison 

5A Region 4: Laurel, NE Jones, South Jones, Stone County, Vancleave, Wayne County 

I would hate for the hhs-laurel game to go back to being a non region game

6 hours ago, Rebel Bert said:

Now that I got home let me correct myself:

Terry replaces Pearl in 7A-3, Pearl goes to 6A-2. 6A-3 is Petal, Hattiesburg, Jim Hill, Forest Hill, West Jones, Natchez. The problem is you have to know which Middle School in JPS feeds the high school. That I am unsure. 

6A-4 adds PRC, East Central goes to 5A-4 with Pass Christian. Laurel, South Jones, NE Jones goes to 5A-3. There will be travel no matter what for some teams.

6 hours ago, Rebel Bert said:

Now that I got home let me correct myself:

Terry replaces Pearl in 7A-3, Pearl goes to 6A-2. 6A-3 is Petal, Hattiesburg, Jim Hill, Forest Hill, West Jones, Natchez. The problem is you have to know which Middle School in JPS feeds the high school. That I am unsure. 

6A-4 adds PRC, East Central goes to 5A-4 with Pass Christian. Laurel, South Jones, NE Jones goes to 5A-3. There will be travel no matter what for some teams.

If this goes thru which i hope it doesnt, I will not like Region 3 6a. Its a weak region after Petal and West Jones and Hattiesburg. And if they still take the top 4 to go to playoffs, you already know who they are just by seeing who the teams are