7 Classifications

TigersFan

3 hours ago, VancleaveDogs said:

I like the idea, with what someone drew up, Vancleave would be battling Pass for the 5-6 spot every year.  I wish the MHSAA would also go back to only taking the top 2 teams in each division to the playoff, tired of seeing 1-9 or 2-8 teams in the playoffs

Well if they only took the top 2 then Vancleave would have more difficulty making it in the playoffs. I think 4 is good but I also don’t think it will ever change because of money. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CrimsonUnit1988 said:

Well if they only took the top 2 then Vancleave would have more difficulty making it in the playoffs. I think 4 is good but I also don’t think it will ever change because of money. 

THIS IS IT ^^^ 

Expanding to 4 from a region in 2001 was a money grab and it will stay at 4 from a region for the same reason 

I'll always be a little bitter about this ... my senior year at Carthage (2000 season) we finished (6-4)(4-2) and were left out in third place only to see the next few seasons of Carthage football teams qualify for postseason with much worse records 🙄

Edited by TK_on_the_Coast

1 minute ago, TK_on_the_Coast said:

THIS IS IT ^^^ 

Expanding to 4 from a region in 2001 was a money grab and it will stay at 4 from a region for the same reason 

This is also another reason of adding a classification. That is more money the MHSAA makes off of playoff and championship games!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TK_on_the_Coast said:

THIS IS IT ^^^ 

I'll always be a little bitter about this ... my senior year at Carthage (2000 season) we finished (6-4)(4-2) and were left out in third place only to see the next few seasons of Carthage football teams qualify for postseason with much worse records 🙄

Correct. I'm actually good with the 4 teams. There are gonna be teams that slip in and probably don't deserve it but if you went back to 2 then there would be very deserving teams that get left out more.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, msaisbandkid said:

Hold up I looked at the activity and saw that you commented 2 minutes before you got an account? Interesting

yeah im new. usually just scroll and look but wanted to comment and had to create an account.  Im not sure if im right on this or not just remember there being some talk about it a few years ago.

50 minutes ago, JRoss1958 said:

yeah im new. usually just scroll and look but wanted to comment and had to create an account.  Im not sure if im right on this or not just remember there being some talk about it a few years ago.

Nice to have you. What confuses me was how you had already commented when you created said account.

6 hours ago, TK_on_the_Coast said:

A good question for this thread - since expansion in 2001 have any 4 seeds won a football state title ??

Much like March Madness, a #4 seed has defeated a #1 seed on numerous occasions because the relative strength between divisions can be very different. 

So four teams from each division making the playoffs is like the NBA and does make for some blowouts in the early rounds but the possibility exists that lower seeds can win some of those games. 

But make no mistake, it is all about money. 

I will continue hammer the point that the regular season should be 10 games and the season should start the Friday of Labor Day weekend!!! 

1 minute ago, Bulldogs4 said:

Much like March Madness, a #4 seed has defeated a #1 seed on numerous occasions because the relative strength between divisions can be very different. 

So four teams from each division making the playoffs is like the NBA and does make for some blowouts in the early rounds but the possibility exists that lower seeds can win some of those games. 

But make no mistake, it is all about money. 

I will continue hammer the point that the regular season should be 10 games and the season should start the Friday of Labor Day weekend!!! 

Only issues you run into with that is state championships would be the weekend MS/AL is played and backing that up would mean players missing end of semester exams and what not. 

I do agree though, starting in September would be best. They did it for years.