7 Classifications

TigersFan

It sounds like most are in favor of this, and I’m actually undecided. But something to think about is that districts are constantly consolidating. There aren’t nearly as many schools as there were when 6A was added. Fewer schools is always going to affect travel, & this usually means 1A. 

3 hours ago, KOshooter said:

It sounds like most are in favor of this, and I’m actually undecided. But something to think about is that districts are constantly consolidating. There aren’t nearly as many schools as there were when 6A was added. Fewer schools is always going to affect travel, & this usually means 1A. 

I was told by a source that there are some private schools that are lobbying to come to the association if they are allowed to recruit. The catch would be they would just have to play in higher classifications. I know Arkansas already does this. I think it could work in Mississippi 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Unfortunately, Natchez just sits out there by itself and not close to anything. The only way you go to Natchez is to be intent on going there.

Beautiful town with history but with regard to HS sports it is always going to be like that. When Meridian was in the same district in football it was a 197 mile trip one way. 

But for 99% of teams,  overall travel should be much better with this new outline. Plus you can schedule some cool OOC games.

My previous opinion stands though. Cut the regular season down to 10 games and start the season the weekend of Labor Day. 

On 1/15/2022 at 10:58 AM, HammerDown74 said:

It’s a great idea until Hattiesburg is driving to Natchez to play a baseball game on a Tuesday night. Some of the drives improve, but some of them would be miserable for sports that play on school nights. Not to mention the cost of taking buses that far.

Its already like that this year in region 3. You have 4 schools within a 30 mile radius of each other with South Jones West Jones Laurel and Hattiesburg. For basketball and baseball this season West Jones is in the region with Florence Brookhaven and Natchez. So there will be some weeknight travel to natchez, especially in baseball.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vott said:

Its already like that this year in region 3. You have 4 schools within a 30 mile radius of each other with South Jones West Jones Laurel and Hattiesburg. For basketball and baseball this season West Jones is in the region with Florence Brookhaven and Natchez. So there will be some weeknight travel to natchez, especially in baseball.

Not sure of their numbers, but NE Jones as well in that area.

On 1/15/2022 at 5:21 PM, Gulfcoastmatt said:

Any ideas on how this affects 1a?Resurrection’s travel is already rough. 

Shouldn't be as bad. From what i heard instead of 4 districts in 1A now there will be 8. Should make the travel easier I would guess. Not sure how far they drive now.

On 1/15/2022 at 5:21 PM, Gulfcoastmatt said:

Any ideas on how this affects 1a?Resurrection’s travel is already rough. 

Shouldn't be as bad. From what i heard instead of 4 districts in 1A now there will be 8. Should make the travel easier I would guess. Not sure how far they drive now.

On 1/15/2022 at 9:42 PM, Clever Clogs said:

I was told by a source that there are some private schools that are lobbying to come to the association if they are allowed to recruit. The catch would be they would just have to play in higher classifications. I know Arkansas already does this. I think it could work in Mississippi 

I doubt this would happen.

On 1/15/2022 at 1:54 PM, CrimsonUnit1988 said:

Regions are split in baseball anyway. Just like Hattiesburg and Natchez are currently in same football division but different baseball. I’m sure it would probably work out that way.

Under this alignment regions would not be split. Schools will play in the same region in all sports

On 1/15/2022 at 1:54 PM, CrimsonUnit1988 said:

Regions are split in baseball anyway. Just like Hattiesburg and Natchez are currently in same football division but different baseball. I’m sure it would probably work out that way.

Under this alignment regions would not be split. Schools will play in the same region in all sports

10 hours ago, Tiburon said:

i tend to be conservative. why fix something that is not broke?

the grass is always greener i guess…

but i think we could do more good by re-aligning less often and stick with 6 classes.

Agreed.  Re-classifying every two years is imbecilic but par for the course given the leadership at the MISSHSAA.

10 hours ago, Tiburon said:

i tend to be conservative. why fix something that is not broke?

the grass is always greener i guess…

but i think we could do more good by re-aligning less often and stick with 6 classes.

You're stating it's not broke because it never affects Picayune. You're never on the bubble to have to play in 6A and make long distance travels. It does not affect you so therefore it's not broke to you. There's plenty more teams that this affects and it's good and this format actually helps Picayune as well. 

8 minutes ago, coachhollywood2 said:

The numbers work if its 

7A 24

6A 24

5A 40

4A 40

3A 40

2A 40

1A 40

If parochial schools play up a level that throws curve with some of it

That does seem to make more sense. However 1A would be whatever is left and also some of these schools don’t play football.

regardless there are going to be some schools who have to travel long distances. Natchez will have to travel no matter what. Also based on last count the coast would have 7 schools in the new 7A, somebody in that situation would be the odd man out.

24 minutes ago, FBdude said:

That does seem to make more sense. However 1A would be whatever is left and also some of these schools don’t play football.

regardless there are going to be some schools who have to travel long distances. Natchez will have to travel no matter what. Also based on last count the coast would have 7 schools in the new 7A, somebody in that situation would be the odd man out.

Most likely Harrison Central would move to a region with Oak Grove. Petal and Pearl drop from that region to 6A. I'm sure NWR would move North.

On 1/14/2022 at 4:46 PM, coastfootballfanman said:

A good friend of mine was at the MAAA clinic and yes it was proposed by MHSAA. Has to pass through directors board or something like that he said. Based on enrollment numbers. It would go:

Top 24 go to 7A. Next 24 to 6A. Next 24 to 5A. 4 regions, 6 teams per region.

4-1A will have 40 teams in each classification. 8 regions, 5 teams per region. 

There would be 51 1A schools although some of them won't play football.