College Basketball

Howland will not be fired. Maybe he will retire. He is 65 so that would not be a surprise. 

We have certainly underachieved but it is not like we have been bad either. The program is competitive but just has not been able to climb to the next step. 

Will be interesting to see how the next few days go. 

7 minutes ago, Bulldogs4 said:

Howland will not be fired. Maybe he will retire. He is 65 so that would not be a surprise. 

We have certainly underachieved but it is not like we have been bad either. The program is competitive but just has not been able to climb to the next step. 

Will be interesting to see how the next few days go. 

If Howland retires, it will be Howland “retiring”, if you know what I mean.  

On 3/12/2022 at 2:21 PM, MSTSatchmo said:

Will Wade has been fired at LSU.  Mostly due to the NCAA investigation, but if State fires Howland, you’re already competing against UGA, Missouri and LSU for a coach as of right now.  

UGA is off the board, they hired Mike White from Florida. 

Florida is now on the board. 

I would love to hear thoughts and opinions on how much longer the MSU head man can hang on to his job. Better yet, if Ben Howland can't get it done then what message does that send to other would be potential MSU men's basketball head coaches regarding the difficulty of a job that hasn't seen a MSU program make any noise in the big dance since the Stansbury era? 

Now South Carolina has joined the list of schools looking for a coach.  

The key to getting in the NCAAT is to have a few good wins.  Alabama has a very unimpressive record, but they have wins over UTenn, LSU, and the big Baylor win.  

As for State, Howland and Stansbury prove you can get talent there.  They just need to be coached.  It’s important to have the right pieces too.   

If State gets on a roll here in the NIT (doubtful but you never know) , maybe Howland coaches another year or two and then retires with the program on the upswing. 

With all these openings, I think we may do better to stay pat this year. 

But for all I know this is probably his swan song once he loses next game. 

Molinar is no where ready for Pro Ball unless he goes to Europe. 

He needs to hit the weight room and improve his outside shooting to have a shot at the NBA.

Now he is a tremendous college player but he would probably better suited as a #2 guard at least part of the time. 

He has an interesting decision to make after the season. If he goes on I wish him the best but I think he could do himself some good by coming back. 

4 hours ago, rebmus said:

VERY VERY slim chance of it happening, but what IF: 

MSU fires Howland and hires Andy Kennedy while OM fires Davis and hires Rick Stansbury. How weird would that be? 

Both schools could do better. Stans isn’t the coach he was 15 years ago and Kennedy would just be Howland 2.0 with worse recruiting.

Side note, it’s kind of funny that people consider Howland to be as old as father time when in reality he’s only two years older than Stansbury.

And I would still be very surprised if Howland is not let go within 24-48 hours of State’s NIT run ending.

Edited by Dawg83

State’s season is officially over with the NIT loss to Virginia, and my gosh was it a boring end to a frustrating season.

And with that, we’ve now reached what is likely the end of Ben Howland’s time at MSU. I expect the announcement within the next day or two. As someone who was critical of Howland for several years, I have to admit that he leaves the program in better shape than he found it, and he does deserve some credit for that.

At the end of the day, one NCAA Tourney in seven years just isn’t going to be enough for almost any program. Especially with some of the talented teams he underachieved with. And for whatever reason (and I think there are a lot of them, some his fault and some not) he was never able to make the fans care. Not even his one NCAAT team drew great crowds most of the time, I remember being at the Kentucky game that year and seeing 2-3K empty seats in the building, and that game was on a Saturday and I think both teams were in the Top 25.

Let’s see who the hire ends up being, there have been several pretty intriguing names thrown around from the mid major head coaching ranks but hard to evaluate until something is final, which I would expect sometime next week.

Chris Jans at New Mexico State is the name with the most smoke for the State job right now. We’ll see what happens, I think that would be a really good hire though. Long time successful head coach as a mid major and JUCO guy. Was also an assistant at Wichita State during their heyday a few years ago. I think NM State has won their conference four of the five years he’s been there, and they just beat UConn in the NCAAT yesterday.

Not a done deal, of course, but he has been the predominant name to this point. Todd Golden from San Francisco had been mentioned but he is about to get the Florida job. Matt McMahon is also in the mix but there seems to be more smoke with him and the Mizzou job.

On the ladies' BB front, OM lost in the first round. I was hoping they would win a game or two, but still a great building year for Coach Yo and those players. I think it had been 15 years since OM Lady Rebs had made an NCAA Tourney appearance. 

South Carolina ladies, good gosh they look far and away better than the rest of the field. 

18 hours ago, rebmus said:

On the ladies' BB front, OM lost in the first round. I was hoping they would win a game or two, but still a great building year for Coach Yo and those players. I think it had been 15 years since OM Lady Rebs had made an NCAA Tourney appearance. 

South Carolina ladies, good gosh they look far and away better than the rest of the field. 

Speaking of women's BB, somebody explain to me how Jackson State's Ameysha Williams-Holliday didn't win the Gilliom award this year. Averaged a double-double playing a schedule featuring multiple power 5 tournament teams including Miami, Texas, and Ole Miss.

5 hours ago, sportsmaniac10 said:

Because Shakira Austin is the better overall player and also did it against better competition.

And the hips don't lie.

Kidding aside, I don't follow WBB near enough to have an opinion on who should have won the award.