College Basketball

Looks like the Ole Miss women took a page out of the men’s playbook….LOL

They are drilling the State women in the first half. Looks the 14 game winning streak is history. Which is not a surprise. Ole Miss is much the better team this year though Doug Novak has done great job as HC at State to this point under very difficult circumstances. 

13 minutes ago, Bulldogs4 said:

Looks like the Ole Miss women took a page out of the men’s playbook….LOL

They are drilling the State women in the first half. Looks the 14 game winning streak is history. Which is not a surprise. Ole Miss is much the better team this year though Doug Novak has done great job as HC at State to this point under very difficult circumstances. 

The whole Novak hire was odd.  He was the men’s coach at Bethel before being hired at State shortly before this season and was a tennis player in college.    

I’ve heard he was hired because State was pushing McCray out before the season started.   

2 hours ago, Bulldogs4 said:

Where did you hear that? That is news to me.

The only thing I have heard is that she stepped down because her cancer returned. He was then made interim HC just a few days before fall practice started. 

Novak was on the staff as an assistant coach. 

He was hired in September and became the interim coach in October.  

Yo's first couple of years were rough Satch, but OM women's basketball hasn't been to the dance since 2007. This was a complete rebuild job while the instate and SEC rival was riding near the top of the SEC and the nation. 

Year 3 was a WNIT final appearance, year 4 is on track for a possible dance bid. I think she's done well. 

20 hours ago, MSTSatchmo said:

The whole Novak hire was odd.  He was the men’s coach at Bethel before being hired at State shortly before this season and was a tennis player in college.    

I’ve heard he was hired because State was pushing McCray out before the season started.   

This is actually the first time he’s coached womens basketball period but I feel like he’s done a respectable job. He is dealing with some major roster issues, the girl they started at center yesterday was 5-9. How they finish the year will determine if he gets the full time job or not.

The health situation with Nikki is very sad and I truly wish her the best. That said, you could tell last year that something was very off with the program. That was a preseason Top 10 team and they finished with a losing SEC record and didn’t even make the NCAAT. It really is amazing to see the program where it is now given what it was not even two years ago.

Coach Yo has done an excellent job at Ole Miss. She inherited a truly awful situation and has absolutely turned it around in a big way. And frankly has put pressure on State in a way that I didn’t think was possible a couple of years ago. I’m not suggesting she will dominate the rivalry like Schaefer did, but State does need to get their hire right.

37 minutes ago, MSTSatchmo said:

Just watched the last couple minutes of the Bama/LSU game.  They have a ton of athletes on both teams.   

A&M is up on UK at the half by 5.   It’s interesting that A&M is 15-2 and still not ranked.  

A&M has a terrible strength of schedule. However this Kentucky game could easily put them on the map. Auburn is destroying Georgia as normal. Florida finally got their first SEC win against State. Outside of the A&M Kentucky game, pretty average SEC basketball day.

15 minutes ago, msaisbandkid said:

Also why are we talking about womens basketball? State has fallen back to mediocrity and Ole Miss has never been good. High School womens basketball is way more interesting at the moment.

OM’s women were very good at one time under Van Chancellor in the 80’s and early 90’s before he went to the WNBA and won a few WNBA titles.   

Plus they’re 15-2 this season so far.  Of course that could be misleading like A&M’s 15-2 record.  

10 hours ago, MSTSatchmo said:

OM’s women were very good at one time under Van Chancellor in the 80’s and early 90’s before he went to the WNBA and won a few WNBA titles.   

Plus they’re 15-2 this season so far.  Of course that could be misleading like A&M’s 15-2 record.  

Make that 15-3

Well the State ladies are playing hard but they are mostly outmanned because of no depth. Between the multiple coaching changes and COVID, it is shocking they have won any conference games this year. 
Novak has done IMO a tremendous job this year and with every thing else going wrong, they have been playing with great effort. It was inevitable that Ole Miss was going to beat State and it was no surprise when it happened last week. 

• Like 1

State girls trailed by 27 points (38-11) to Georgia and came all the way back to lead 63-62 with about 30 seconds left. Still had a chance to win late and then tie to go into OT. 
But lost 66-63. Certainly proud of the effort after being blown out in the first half. 
Still a tough year but I like the grit of the team. 

• Hard Knocks changed the title to College Basketball