Long Beach Job

RUNNINGMAN67

I've heard that there have been several good candidates put in for this job. I personally would like to see them go after the defensive coordinator from Oak Grove. I watched some of their games online and I think his aggressive style of defense is what LB needs to get going in the right direction. I just hope they don't go and hire some coach that's got his years in and is just trying to ride this one out into retirement. Who they probably gonna determine whether or not I decide to move for academic purposes or not. Anyone heard anything on this?

As usual, it would be a mistake to let a group of parents and community leaders pick this new coach. That’s what it’s looking like. I’ve heard a couple of good candidates, both young and upcoming and good, experienced guys. Two different ways to go. 

16 hours ago, Clever Clogs said:

So just curious don’t know a lot about the place but is it athletes or support? 

Both. Middle school program typically is competitive and fields solid teams. However, as they get into high school, most of the talent ends up making its way to other schools, usually Gulfport. The program needs a culture change in my opinion. When Long Beach was truly competitive, they were a hard nosed, physical style of play that emphasized running the football. They brought in an Air-Raid guru and the culture, physicality and quality of the program has steadily gone down hill since. Ross was a bad hire in my opinion. He is a good man and coach, but he took that job to get his last few years in and retire. You could tell the product on the field was a reflection of that. It is a great school system to work in from what I gather. Support has been iffy I hear, but I think the right guy can turn that around. Much like St. Martin, I think it just needs an overhaul in culture and you could start to breed success and field consistently competitive teams. 

21 hours ago, coastfootballfanman said:

Both. Middle school program typically is competitive and fields solid teams. However, as they get into high school, most of the talent ends up making its way to other schools, usually Gulfport. The program needs a culture change in my opinion. When Long Beach was truly competitive, they were a hard nosed, physical style of play that emphasized running the football. They brought in an Air-Raid guru and the culture, physicality and quality of the program has steadily gone down hill since. Ross was a bad hire in my opinion. He is a good man and coach, but he took that job to get his last few years in and retire. You could tell the product on the field was a reflection of that. It is a great school system to work in from what I gather. Support has been iffy I hear, but I think the right guy can turn that around. Much like St. Martin, I think it just needs an overhaul in culture and you could start to breed success and field consistently competitive teams. 

Normally I'd agree that the right coach could elevate but not in this case.  Long Beach is coaching career wrecker.  And St. Martin doesn't remotely compare to it anymore.  That's a growing community with a 6A school which has proven to produce next level skill and talent.

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Normally I'd agree that the right coach could elevate but not in this case.  Long Beach is coaching career wrecker.  And St. Martin doesn't remotely compare to it anymore.  That's a growing community with a 6A school which has proven to produce next level skill and talent.

Pretty spot on. I did not mean to compare the two jobs because St. Martin is definitely the better gig. I was just meaning that both need a culture reset. But you are right, the last 3-4 coaches did not last long and it has been a tough place to win. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 9:28 AM, coastfootballfanman said:

I thought they had somewhat turned the corner when Forrest Williams was at Long Beach. He had them close to making playoffs his last year there. LBHS is a really tough place to be, with the amount of quality schools in thet area. Gulfport, Biloxi, the Pass, Bay High, and especially SSC. It's tough to compete on the coast.

• Haha 1

From what I’ve seen on here it seems like John Keith has basically ran the programs for him in other places. I wonder if he can bring him along if he does happen to come down. I did see that he was a promising young coach needing to get out of a bad situation so maybe there’s a chance…