Kiffin and Ole Miss agree to new contract

rebmus

Just now, Wcchaingang said:

If I had to guess it will be raised to somewhere in the 7-7.5 million range.

I figure it's closer to $9 million. 

IF Ole Miss extended Lane for $7 million, they got a steal. I know that sounds crazy- but compared to other coaches' contracts... it's a steal. 

18 minutes ago, rebmus said:

I figure it's closer to $9 million. 

IF Ole Miss extended Lane for $7 million, they got a steal. I know that sounds crazy- but compared to other coaches' contracts... it's a steal. 

Oh I agree. I think with the he way Mississippi contracts have to be done he gets a bump to the 7.5 range next year and a steady bump after that. He made what 4.5 this year in base salary?

Moorhead was at Akron for several seasons. So he has history there. 

I am glad for him. I do think he is a good coach and if he learned from some of his mistakes at State, he can be successful there. I will be pulling for him to do well. 

I am glad Kiffin is staying at Ole Miss. I hope both he and Leach are here for the next ten years. That would be great for Mississippi as a whole and I think both of our teams can be a factor in the SEC and have some good success in the coming years. 

Just now, Bulldogs4 said:

I am glad for him. I do think he is a good coach and if he learned from some of his mistakes at State, he can be successful there. I will be pulling for him to do well. 

I am glad Kiffin is staying at Ole Miss. I hope both he and Leach are here for the next ten years. That would be great for Mississippi as a whole and I think both of our teams can be a factor in the SEC and have some good success in the coming years. 

I agree, Moorhead will do well at Akron and good for him. 

I also hope Leach and Kiffin are at their current jobs for another 10 years. I highly doubt it works out that way, but I'd like to see it. 

2 hours ago, Bulldogs4 said:

I don’t think that would be good for State if Kiffin is there for 10 years.  He will out recruit State every year, and probably go 8-2 in the Egg Bowl.  

4 hours ago, MSTSatchmo said:

I don’t think that would be good for State if Kiffin is there for 10 years.  He will out recruit State every year, and probably go 8-2 in the Egg Bowl.  

That is possible but Ole Miss has always out recruited State though the series over the last thirty years is basically even. 

The recruiting difference from 1-15 seem to be significantly higher relative speaking to the difference between say 20-35 or even 40 or 50. 
If you are in the latter range, then you can almost throw those teams in a hat and not see a big difference in the on the field results. 

I do think it is doubtful that Kiffin is at Ole Miss that long. 

4 hours ago, MSTSatchmo said:

We’ll see. For the most part this rivalry tends to go in cycles with neither team able to really dominate the other for long periods of time. The exception to that was the Vaught era when OM was at its best in program history and State was absolutely terrible.

Kiffin has a 2-0 lead on Leach so there’s a good chance he finishes his tenure with a winning record in the rivalry, but I think it’s more likely that they split most of their remaining Egg Bowls than it is that one side dominates. Two good coaches and the talent level of the teams is going to be very similar most years.

Nutt won his first Egg Bowl 45-0 and then never won another one. Mullen won his first three Egg Bowls but then lost 4 of the next 6. There’s really no way to predict a long term trend for this rivalry.

Edited by Dawg83

I

49 minutes ago, MSTSatchmo said:

I know Kiffin is actually the OC so it won’t make a huge difference, but Lebby is expected to be the OC at Oklahoma if Venabels is hired.  

I dunno, Lebby is pretty highly regarded, seems like it could be a relatively big loss. I also realize that Kiffin is one of the better offensive minds in the country and he’ll figure something out.

Does this hurt OM with Dillon Gabriel or is that still happening regardless? 

Edited by Dawg83

1 hour ago, pancho said:

Initially, Gabriel was thought to be going to play for Lebby and Lebby only.  Now all that could be up  in the air.

I know there are several other QBs in the portal, but none except Rattler have the talent that Corral had.   It will be interesting to see how the QB position looks at OM next year.   

Rattler has been assumed to be headed back west, but I recently saw S Carolina listed as a possible destination.  

24 minutes ago, MSTSatchmo said:

Miami is doing Diaz wrong.  I just read a headline that Miami is in talks with Cristobal.  Diaz hasn’t even been fired.  Lol.  That on top of all the Kiffin to Miami talks a week ago.  I know Diaz should be able to read the room, but dang. 

I doubt it happens, but I'd love to see Miami being turned down and announce they're "Sticking with Diaz" while Diaz takes another job the very next day. 

26 minutes ago, rebmus said:

I doubt it happens, but I'd love to see Miami being turned down and announce they're "Sticking with Diaz" while Diaz takes another job the very next day. 

That would be hilarious.  However, it looked like Cristobal had already taken the job mentally during the Pac10 championship game.  He looked checked out.  

With Brady being available now and Oklahoma AND ND hiring defensive coaches for the head job, I would bet he ends up at one of the two.  

9 minutes ago, MSTSatchmo said:

That would be hilarious.  However, it looked like Cristobal had already taken the job mentally during the Pac10 championship game.  He looked checked out.  

With Brady being available now and Oklahoma AND ND hiring defensive coaches for the head job, I would bet he ends up at one of the two.  

I think the ND OC stayed on when they promoted the DC. I can see Venables trying to get Brady.

Yep, it sure looked like Christobal had already taken the Miami job while watching Oregon Friday night. I expected it to be announced yesterday honestly. I still lean it's a done deal, just not sure why there's a delay in announcing. 

Lebby is an OU alumni, along with he'll never get full credit of the offense as long as he's Kiffin's OC... I see no way he doesn't turn down OU if offered. On top of that, OU is more of a national job than OM. 

I wouldn't be shocked if OU went after Brady instead though. IF Lebby goes with Lebby, I hope Kiffin goes hard after Brady. I don't know if he can get him, but dumb not to try.