Scheme

coachfball87

I’ve seen so many posts on Twitter about “Wing-T ain’t dead” after the first 2 state titles. People who feel they have to defend a certain is laughable. Yes, Mancuso and Brady are both phenomenal at coaching and running the Wing-T. However, with the guys they had on the field, Wing-T had little to do with it. It was the guys they had running it on the field. Either team could’ve ran whatever scheme they wanted and been successful. Xs & Os<Jimmys & Joes. 

Edited by coachfball87

7 hours ago, coachfball87 said:

I’ve seen so many posts on Twitter about “Wing-T ain’t dead” after the first 2 state titles. People who feel they have to defend a certain is laughable. Yes, Mancuso and Brady are both phenomenal at coaching and running the Wing-T. However, with the guys they had on the field, Wing-T had little to do with it. It was the guys they had running it on the field. Either team could’ve ran whatever scheme they wanted and been successful. Xs & Os<Jimmys & Joes. 

Yep I agree with on that the Wing is great scheme and another thing.  Its different from film and seeing it live action.

4 hours ago, pancho said:

When all the players carry out their fakes on each play, it sure makes it a difficult task for the Defense which can't simulate it well enough in practice.

That’s why I use to have a Wing T package as an OC. But can get same results with certain motions out of spread. When you have the better players, you can run whatever you want. 

16 minutes ago, coachfball87 said:

Again, I understand WHY people run it. I have ran it myself, along with the wishbone. It’s just funny coaches with 2-3 wins that run a system feel the need “advocate” for it because another team loaded with talent, that could win state running whatever they wanted, is also running it.

I think a lot of the advocacy stems from other coaches who think it’s a lesser offensive system.  The bread and butter might be simple but some of the wing hybrids can be insane. 

3 hours ago, MSUDawg04 said:

Probably because you see "coach twitter" say that everyone should be running spread, so the coaches that do run wingT feel the need to defend it.

Twitter loves to say the older run heavy misdirection offenses won't prepare kids for the next level.. while i can see the argument i believe that if you're a real deal ball player it doesn't matter what system you come from. 

5 minutes ago, lionpack said:

Twitter loves to say the older run heavy misdirection offenses won't prepare kids for the next level.. while i can see the argument i believe that if you're a real deal ball player it doesn't matter what system you come from. 

I've heard that song for decades. 

It's bunk

On 12/4/2021 at 9:47 AM, coachfball87 said:

This is similar to triple option offenses in college. It’s definitely all about the players you have.

You can absolutely run the Wing T out of the spread. Many of the Oregon with Chip Kelly and West Virginia with Rich Rod proved this. All about motion, misdirection, and fakes. Same exact concepts with a back on one side of the qb, an up back (H-Back in today’s terms) and a slot guy motioning or coming in for a sweep like a wing back would do. It’s just evolved so much over the years. Now with the RPO offenses are many of the same concepts just tweaking it more and more. 

Yes the athletes have to be there in order to run the wing T. The air raid offense came about due to less talented teams spreading it around and getting open in space. A lot of timing routes involved. You could argue air raid receivers aren’t developed either because they don’t really have a route tree. There’s no reading the defense it’s about timing and being where you are supposed to be.