Championship Weekend Scores and Updates

s1nglewing

11 minutes ago, slicklizard said:

This game is everything it should be for the highest classification in the state

MC  offense reminds me so much of Coach Boyles at WC. They line up in a different formation every snap . Split back, eye with fullback in front, and single back.

It was mainly a single back shotgun with maybe an H-Back until the qb got hurt in round 2. Once the big backup came in it immediately run first. Credit to Brandon they made MC throw the ball more than they would have wanted to.

That has been discussed here off and on over the years. Because MS has a long distance N-S and a relatively short distance E-W, the North-South configuration seems to have worked the best with respect to geography, travel etc. 

However with the much improved highway system (lots 4 lane highways now), changing to something like you propose might carry more merit. 

I know they want to avoid a Corinth traveling to St. Stanislaus or something similar during the earlier rounds of the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Bulldogs4 said:

That has been discussed here off and on over the years. Because MS has a long distance N-S and a relatively short distance E-W, the North-South configuration seems to have worked the best with respect to geography, travel etc. 

However with the much improved highway system (lots 4 lane highways now), changing to something like you propose might carry more merit. 

I know they want to avoid a Corinth traveling to St. Stanislaus or something similar during the earlier rounds of the playoffs. 

Only downfall if it ever came to that is how would you like it if it was a Hattiesburg-laurel title game but you had to play it at ole miss. I say keep it like it is

14 hours ago, Chunky6617 said:

There is a difference between 1A south and 1A north. 

First off congrats to Bay Springs on a championship season. Finally got to see both them and Simmons play and was very impressed with BS. As for this comment though, there was no difference this year other than they had one really really good team in BS. If I recall, didn’t the south’s runner up lose to 2 1A north teams? BS was clearly the best team in 1A and on another level but that doesn’t mean the rest of the south gets to piggyback on their success. It’s like Vandy fans yelling SEC SEC SEC during a Bama playoff game. Plus all but 1 of BS games against 1A south teams were blowouts so it’s not like the south teams gave up a fight. The south has some great names in Taylorsville and Lumberton but neither team was their normal selves this year. That only leaves West Lowndes who again, lost to Biggersville and TCP. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vott said:

Only downfall if it ever came to that is how would you like it if it was a Hattiesburg-laurel title game but you had to play it at ole miss. I say keep it like it is

Those games in the earlier rounds would still be on campus. With regard to the State Championship games , that very thing just happened last night. 

Brandon & Madison Central traveled to Hattiesburg to play when Memorial Stadium would have been ideal. 

But yes, there is an inherent risk with the final game creating travel issues for one or more teams regardless of the location of the games. 

USM is the best location in the State to hold these games. Jackson stadium and field is no longer good for these games and while MSU and Ole miss both have bigger stadiums the extra seats are not really needed and their location is even harder to get to for majority of State than Hattiesburg. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bulldogs4 said:

Those games in the earlier rounds would still be on campus. With regard to the State Championship games , that very thing just happened last night. 

Brandon & Madison Central traveled to Hattiesburg to play when Memorial Stadium would have been ideal. 

But yes, there is an inherent risk with the final game creating travel issues for one or more teams regardless of the location of the games. 

Going to Jackson isn't bad. I wouldn't mind that. But South Panola and olive branch going to Hattiesburg wouldn't be good either.

8 minutes ago, Vott said:

Going to Jackson isn't bad. I wouldn't mind that. But South Panola and olive branch going to Hattiesburg wouldn't be good either.

Jackson is really the best but MS is just plain subpar these days. 

Starkville & Hattiesburg are generally the best venues stadium wise and location wise. With 25,45 and 82 four lane now, getting to Starkville is not so bad compared to the old days. 

Oxford, unfortunately is just too far North and is not as easy to get to even with the improvement in highways. 

But in any case, nothing is quite ideal because there is going to be travel for some teams each year regardless. 

7 hours ago, Bulldogs4 said:

Traveling is only an issue for the fans, these kids are do happy that they made it to this level they would play anywhere. 

14 hours ago, Vott said:

I find it amusing to think of how many times for every class except 6A that it would end up with 2 south teams playing for the title.  Especially in classes 1-4.