13 of 14 SEC teams are bowl eligible

rebmus

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I still don’t think the league was all that great this year. Only about 3-4 teams I would consider legitimately good and then a whole lot of inconsistency and mediocrity.

Certainly kudos are due to teams like Ole Miss and Arkansas who worked their way through the clump of mediocre teams and had better seasons than most expected. And hats off to a team like South Carolina where 6-6 was a major accomplishment in Year 1 of a new regime.

I am kinda expecting the SEC bowl game records to possibly not be very good, however. And I’m also fascinated to see where some of these teams get sent. More teams than tie-ins for once.

The bowl options for OM seem to pretty straight forward.

Bama in Playoff = Ole Miss in Sugar Bowl.

Bama not in Playoff = OM in Peach Bowl

The buzz for State continues to be the Texas or Liberty Bowl. Both would feature a Big 12 opponent. The rumor is the Liberty Bowl is really pushing for State vs. Texas Tech due to the Leach angle. There are pros and cons to each game, Liberty is the closest geographically, is on a better date, and is probably slightly more winnable. Texas is in a roofed NFL stadium, has a higher payout, and means you play a little bit better opponent. At this stage I would be surprised if it’s not one of those two options though.

Liberty Bowl crowd wise would be the best option. Texas Tech would be a good opponent as well. Obviously some intrigue there but Leach has been gone 10 years so that part of it has probably settled down a good bit. 

We would probably have 30K + at the Liberty Bowl plus vanquish some of the ill effects of the game there earlier in the year. Or at least I hope we would. 

Texas Bowl is good too. We have a huge number of alumni in HOU so I think we would draw well there too. Just hope we don’t play Kansas State. Would like to play someone we have not played in while. 

1 hour ago, Bulldogs4 said:

Liberty Bowl crowd wise would be the best option. Texas Tech would be a good opponent as well. Obviously some intrigue there but Leach has been gone 10 years so that part of it has probably settled down a good bit. 

We would probably have 30K + at the Liberty Bowl plus vanquish some of the ill effects of the game there earlier in the year. Or at least I hope we would. 

Texas Bowl is good too. We have a huge number of alumni in HOU so I think we would draw well there too. Just hope we don’t play Kansas State. Would like to play someone we have not played in while. 

Looking like it would be one Kansas State, Iowa State, Texas Tech, or West Virginia.

Most of the projections I’ve seen have either the Fiesta or Peach for OM.   Pitt, Wake, and Oklahoma are the teams OM has been projected to be matched up with.  Those could be good matchups.  The majority have Bama ouside the playoffs and in the Sugar.   

I think it may hurt State that Florida and LSU became bowl eligible the last game.   Even with Auburn at 6-6 and losing to State, those schools are a more attractive draw for bowls.  

4 hours ago, MSTSatchmo said:

I saw one projection that had State vs Old Dominion in a bowl in Montgomery.  Lol

I saw that one, SI projections yesterday. 

That bowl is on Christmas Day in the afternoon, yikes what a bad draw for the teams that end up there. 

I lean MSU ends up in the Texas Bowl. It's a lot of guessing right now.

The only given things:

1. UGA is in the playoffs win or lose. 

2. Bama, Ole Miss, and Notre Dame are in NY6 bowls no matter what happens. Bama gets in the playoffs with a win, ND gets in the playoffs with some other teams losing. 

On Ole Miss, I want Bama to upset UGA which puts OM in the Sugar. That's a trip I could probably work out to take. 

If UGA wins (and likely will) Bama gets the Sugar so I'd hope OM gets the Fiesta vs Notre Dame. That would be a great national exposure game with a chance to beat one of the blue bloods in a NY6 game, giving Ole Miss a realistic chance of finishing top 5. 

If the Peach ends up with OM vs Oklahoma, that'd be a great one also- same reason as the Notre Dame game but Notre Dame tops Oklahoma this year. 

If it's Peach vs Wake or Pitt... a win doesn't move the needle much and a loss would drop OM in the rankings more than losses vs ND or Oklahoma. 

Years ago, I would agree that UF, LSU or Auburn would be above State in the pecking order regardless of the record.

Today, I don’t see that being as much of an issue. All three of those schools are down in the dumps and will sell a minimal number tickets to a bowl game. 

State fans OTOH, despite the EB loss are excited about the direction of the program and will have a good crowd wherever they are sent. 

And yes I know that the bowl games are more about TV ratings these days but ticket sales do still make a difference especially coming after the COVID losses they all endured from last year. 

If you’re State then I think the big thing is just winning whatever game you get put in. Not sure location or opponent matters a ton.

I mean it’s not a “must win” or anything, but 8-5 definitely feels better than 7-6, especially in a year where you didn’t win the Egg.

Absolutely, 8-5 looks much better and yes in this case, winning the Bowl game is very important. 

Looking back if Moorhead beats Iowa and Louie-Ville in those two bowl games, he is probably still the HC at State. 

Even last year though it was a very ugly game, winning that bowl game was very important. Some years the bowl game W/L might not be so crucial but this year for State I agree that it would help finish the season in good fashion. 

There was a brief point in time after the 2018 Egg Bowl where Moorhead had gotten the fans back on his side… and then yeah, that Iowa game happened and he never had the fans truly behind him again. In many ways I think State fans are still feeling the effects of 2018 being a bust. That should have been an NY6 team similar to what Ole Miss is this year. Those opportunities are rare for State and OM, and you have to take advantage in years where you have a really good team.

Leach isn’t in the same spot this year but I think many view 2022 and 2023 as years where the ceiling is potentially higher for State. Will be interesting to see if State remains in this 6 to 8 win range the next two years or if they are able to rise up and have a 9-3 or 10-2 type season with Rogers as an ultra experienced QB before he leaves.

Edited by Dawg83

49 minutes ago, pancho said:

The MSU schedule for next season looks brutal.  They must not have games like the  memphis and arkansas games went down this season. They could have a better team overall but the record still be 7-8 wins in the regular season.

Hard to disagree with that. Nonconference schedule is easier (Memphis at home and trade NC State for a road game against a bad Arizona program), but Georgia and at Kentucky for your East games is brutal.

State’s West schedule is usually easier in even numbered years because most of the toss ups (Arkansas, A&M, Auburn) are at home and games you’re probably losing regardless (Bama and LSU) are on the road. That said, State was 3-1 on the road in SEC play and 1-3 at home this year, so who the heck knows.

Edited by Dawg83

I know this sounds crazy but if UGA wins the NC this year, then playing them next year is not the worst thing that could happen. They will be replacing a lot of the team next year and will not be as dominant as they have been this year. They could very well have a year similar to LSU last year where it is a struggle throughout the season and you are getting everybody’s best shot. 

Plus last year we played a very competitive game against them.

So yes it is going to be tough but every year is tough in the SEC. 

Edited by Bulldogs4
Incorrect word from the spell check

Things could change in the next 48 hours but all recent indications have been that State is Liberty Bowl bound, likely against Texas Tech. If that’s the case I would expect State to be favored by a touchdown or more in that game. A 6-6 Big 12 team with an interim coach is a team you should beat. That said, it’s not officially official just yet.

The vibe I get is that LSU getting bowl eligible definitely reshuffled the deck a bit. The Texas Bowl apparently is much less interested in State now that LSU is available.

State vs Texas Tech in the Liberty Bowl and Ole Miss vs Baylor in the Sugar Bowl confirmed.

Other SEC games:

LSU vs Kansas State in the Texas Bowl

Kentucky vs Iowa in the Citrus Bowl

Arkansas vs Penn State in the Outback Bowl

Texas A&M vs Wake Forest in the Gator Bowl

Tennessee vs Purdue in the Music City Bowl

South Carolina vs UNC in the Duke’s Mayo Bowl

Mizzou vs Army in the Armed Forces Bowl

Florida vs UCF in the Gasparilla Bowl

Auburn vs Houston in the Birmingham Bowl

I read, even thought they hired a coach in November, the interim would coach the bowl game.   It’s odd that Tech fired their coach during the season while they were 5-3.   

Tech also played Baylor close, only losing by 3.  Oddly enough the new coach has been at Baylor, who OM plays, the last 5 years.  

2 hours ago, rebmus said:

Since the 4 team playoff started, Ole Miss has been in a NY6 bowl 3 of those 8 times. 

I would have NEVER bet on that happening. 

It's been a roller coaster ride these past 8 years, high ups and low downs. 

And only one other bowl trip in the last 8 years outside of those 3 NY6 games. A roller coaster indeed.

5 hours ago, MSTSatchmo said:

I read, even thought they hired a coach in November, the interim would coach the bowl game.   It’s odd that Tech fired their coach during the season while they were 5-3.   

Tech also played Baylor close, only losing by 3.  Oddly enough the new coach has been at Baylor, who OM plays, the last 5 years.  

Tech‘s interim is also a former Leach QB from the mid 2000’s.

I realize bowl games can be a crap shoot but I’ll go ahead and say it’s a disappointment if State loses to a team that went 3-6 in the Big 12.