Muffins fired

rebmus

Just now, MSTSatchmo said:

I don’t believe you mean that. 😂

I don't like the timing of it for sure. Lane's name will be mentioned I'm sure, just a distraction that the team doesn't need heading into the egg bowl. 

Of course, having you coach's name mentioned for other jobs means something is going well... so it is what it is. It's certainly better than being 3-8 and being the laughing stock of the SEC west. Ole Miss and MSU have played that role too many times. 

And yeah, Mullen isn't going to be hurting for money- that's for sure! $12 million to walk away. Orgeron got $18 million wasn't it? What a world we live in. 

Will Dan be OC and Ed DC for Bama next year? The Saban coaching rehab program seems like the best in football. 

Edited by rebmus

Not to steal the thread, but related to coaching deals, what about Michigan State's performance after the Tucker extension?  This is how it would work in marriage.  Some of my buddies start a rumor that I may leave my wife for a younger lady who is way out of my league.  Instead of being in trouble, I now get double the benefits of marriage no matter how bad my performance is.  Only I know if the other lady was really interested or not.

Edited by hasbeen67

1 hour ago, rebmus said:

I don't like the timing of it for sure. Lane's name will be mentioned I'm sure, just a distraction that the team doesn't need heading into the egg bowl. 

Of course, having you coach's name mentioned for other jobs means something is going well... so it is what it is. It's certainly better than being 3-8 and being the laughing stock of the SEC west. Ole Miss and MSU have played that role too many times. 

And yeah, Mullen isn't going to be hurting for money- that's for sure! $12 million to walk away. Orgeron got $18 million wasn't it? What a world we live in. 

Will Dan be OC and Ed DC for Bama next year? The Saban coaching rehab program seems like the best in football. 

Definitely better to have a coach everyone wants.   What about that story last week saying Kiffin has said he would leave OM for Miami if it comes open.  Lol 

I don’t find any joy in what has happened to CDM. I actually predicted this would happen after he left State but for different reasons. 

Back then I said he would struggle his first couple of years at UF but would see gradual improvement in years three and four. But Florida would fire him before the fruits of his work would be realized. 

Instead it happened backwards, he was very successful his first three years creating unrealistic expectations. Then this year the wheels came off and he is gone. 

I think he is a good coach and he did a good job at State and he left the program vastly improved from when he started. 

This year at Florida kind of reminds me of Moorhead at State in 2019. Team was very underwhelming during the season, had no discipline, no physicality and just did not perform well. 

Florida State is going to beat Florida Saturday. 

Reports now say Florida asked Dan to coach next week and he declined. 

I think it's dumb for a school to ask a coach to finish the season after being fired. Ole Miss did it with Nutt and it was dumb then also. 

I don't blame Mullen a bit for turning down coaching the final game. 

Agree with you there. If they wanted him to coach against Free Shoes U, then don’t fire him until after that game. 

I predicted them to lose to FSU but with Greg Knox coaching as the interim, I think that might win that game now. He did a nice job for State in the bowl win over Louie-Ville after Mullen left State. Maybe he can do it again. 

We will see. 

Georgia’s rise to becoming a consistently elite team didn’t do him any favors. He was able to get away with 6 to 8 wins and mediocre recruiting at State, but everybody knew it wouldn’t fly at Florida.

Still think he’s a good coach, but his recruiting deficiencies and the fact that he generally has not been super likable as a person doomed him at UF. He needs to get out of the SEC footprint for a little while, I think he can be a heck of a coach in the ACC or Big 10 or a good coordinator in the NFL. And if he ever looks in the mirror and gets the recruiting part of it figured out then maybe he can return to the SEC one day and find success again.

Edited by Dawg83

Just now, Wareaglefan1us said:

898197DA-09AC-41AA-AEAD-AB0C2EDB43E2.jpeg

Lane is about to get paid, either by Ole Miss or by someone else. 

IF those are the actual 3 names at the top of the list for Florida:

I lean Napier will end up at LSU. 

I lean Fickell to Florida. 

I wouldn't put much, if any, stock in some twitter ran by @begatorstoday. 

MAYBE that's someone really in the know, but the Lane to Miami rumor was strongly started and "sourced" by a Miami booster that was convicted or running a Ponzi Scheme... not exactly a reliable source. Lane could end up at Miami, but it certainly won't be because that guy actually knew something. 

I lean OM will put together a nice package for Lane and he sticks around a few more years. 

There aren’t many programs I see Kiffin leaving OM for.  Bama, Ohio State, maybe Oklahoma.   If he can consistently have OM a top 15 team, he will have the same exposure, recruiting success and $alary at OM as most other schools.  The only drawback is the size of Oxford.  He may like it, but if he doesn’t it will never be a metropolitan area.   

Just now, MSTSatchmo said:

There aren’t many programs I see Kiffin leaving OM for.  Bama, Ohio State, maybe Oklahoma.   If he can consistently have OM a top 15 team, he will have the same exposure, recruiting success and $alary at OM as most other schools.  The only drawback is the size of Oxford.  He may like it, but if he doesn’t it will never be a metropolitan area.   

I agree. 

I tend to believe Kiffin's goal is to get the Alabama job when Saban retires. He can ride out a fairly safe and nice paying job at Ole Miss (assuming Ole Miss doesn't try to go cheap and assuming Kiffin keeps winning) until Saban retires and Alabama calls. 

I also think Alabama is Napier's ultimate goal, but that isn't happening until he proves himself in a P5 conference and Napier doesn't have to take an Ole Miss/MSU type job to try to prove himself... he's safe where he is and can be picky. He's in a great position, as are Lane/Luke. 

I never thought I’d see the day that UF and Texas and USC are dangerous jobs.   Dream jobs at one point, but they can kill or seriously derail a coach’s career.   

I honestly think though that Kiffin would win and be dangerous at any school at this point in his career.   This isn’t the same coach that was at USC.   

On 11/22/2021 at 7:16 PM, rebmus said:

Lane is about to get paid, either by Ole Miss or by someone else. 

IF those are the actual 3 names at the top of the list for Florida:

I lean Napier will end up at LSU. 

I lean Fickell to Florida. 

I wouldn't put much, if any, stock in some twitter ran by @begatorstoday. 

MAYBE that's someone really in the know, but the Lane to Miami rumor was strongly started and "sourced" by a Miami booster that was convicted or running a Ponzi Scheme... not exactly a reliable source. Lane could end up at Miami, but it certainly won't be because that guy actually knew something. 

I lean OM will put together a nice package for Lane and he sticks around a few more years. 

I believe he stays at Ole Miss.I believe if he goes anywhere it’s Miami he still has a house down there and I think his ex wife and kids are in the area. I could be wrong on that I thought I read an article on him a couple of months ago and that was in it. I’m not even on Twitter I just shared it. You’re absolutely correct he’s going to get paid very well.

22 hours ago, MSTSatchmo said:

I never thought I’d see the day that UF and Texas and USC are dangerous jobs.   Dream jobs at one point, but they can kill or seriously derail a coach’s career.   

I honestly think though that Kiffin would win and be dangerous at any school at this point in his career.   This isn’t the same coach that was at USC.   

Mullen cost himself the Florida job. I’m a Lifelong Gator fan but he kept Grantham around to long. Honestly thought he would have been gone after last season. Then the circus he had at QB, it worked with Leak and Tebow but there was a lot more talent on the field. Mullen don’t like to recruit that was his downfall in a league with Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M and Ole Miss 

35 minutes ago, Wareaglefan1us said:

Mullen cost himself the Florida job. I’m a Lifelong Gator fan but he kept Grantham around to long. Honestly thought he would have been gone after last season. Then the circus he had at QB, it worked with Leak and Tebow but there was a lot more talent on the field. Mullen don’t like to recruit that was his downfall in a league with Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M and Ole Miss 

I read the other day that during Mullen’s 4 years at UF they signed 2 five star players.   UGA has signed 20 in that same span.  

37 minutes ago, MSTSatchmo said:

I read the other day that during Mullen’s 4 years at UF they signed 2 five star players.   UGA has signed 20 in that same span.  

Yeah and he was getting several right out from under Dan. To be fair I believe Dan is a good coach maybe not a head coach on that level yet. His clock management will make you pull your hair out lol. But it’s easy com the recliner or the stands lol. 

You can make the case that he was a good HC. 13 years with an overall record of 103-61. Averaged 8 wins a year. 

As I said above, had this season been his first year, and years 2-4 parallel to 1-3, he would still be the coach. Timing is huge as a HC and perception dominates reality into today’s microwave society. 

He keeps getting called a lousy recruiter yet at State he recruited pretty well. Obviously lost a few that should have had but signed a lot of players who are now earning NFL checks. So he was doing something right here.

Florida fans are very spoiled and I have a good friend who lives in Gainesville (he is not a UF grad) who says they are some of the most insufferable people around. He was not happy when Mullen left State to go to UF (he is not a State grad either) because he thought this very thing would probably happen. 

In the end, though Mullen brought this on himself. The shoe incident last year seems to be the start of this quick decline. He definitely lost control of the team and they have fallen off a cliff the last 10 - 12 games. 

This will be their 5th coach in 12 years. Instability at the HC position can really hurt a program. They are in a Tennessee type danger zone right now.