CFB week 10 thread

rebmus

I’ll get to the overall game, but we’ve gotta talk about the officiating on Arkansas’s last drive, don’t we? The defensive holding call on Emerson was SOOOFT. And then a blatant offensive holding and a false start were missed on UA’s last two plays. State has a very legitimate gripe with how that drive ended. If the flag isn’t thrown on 4th it’s game over, if either of the other two flags are thrown the situation is quite different.

Yes, the kicking is a major problem and you’ve gotta make at least two of those kicks. No excuse to ever miss from 23, 40 yards straight on needs to be a make too.

I thought the game itself was awesome. Don’t know how you leave that game feeling anything other than good about Will Rogers. State’s offense has made CLEAR improvements from last year and even earlier this year. I thought State’s defense did a decent job against a dynamic offense.

You lost a close game on the road to a 7 or 8 win team, that happens and it’s not a big deal. How it went down is the incredibly frustrating part.

Edited by Dawg83

Assuming State beats Tennessee State in two weeks, I still think anything from 6-6 to 8-4 is entirely possible. Auburn looked incredibly beatable today, and the Egg Bowl has looked like more of a toss up the deeper we’ve gotten into the season. I think both of those games could be similar to the game State just played.

Just now, Dawg83 said:

Assuming State beats Tennessee State in two weeks, I still think anything from 6-6 to 8-4 is entirely possible. Auburn looked incredibly beatable today, and the Egg Bowl has looked like more of a toss up the deeper we’ve gotten into the season. I think both of those games could be similar to the game State just played.

The odds of MSU losing to Tennessee State is about .01%. It could happen, but only if MSU plays their worst game of the season while TS plays their best game of the season. 

Auburn is hard to pick, they look good one week and meh the next. Since Auburn is hosting, I'd bet on Auburn. 

The egg bowl boils down to how healthy Ole Miss is. IF Mingo/Sanders/Drummond/Corral are healthy, I think they'll score enough on MSU to win. IF not, I think MSU wins. 

I agree about the Egg Bowl.  It all depends on how healthy OM is on offense.   If they are healthy, OM no doubt.  If Corral is limping around or he is missing 3 WRs, it will be close.

State beating Auburn at Auburn is not likely, however State beating A&M at A&M wasn’t either. 

S Carolina vs UF -  That shows anything is possible though.  

Edited by MSTSatchmo

Just now, Bulldogs4 said:

The call on Emerson was terrible. The receiver actually initiated the contact.

Unfortunately, they call that on the defense about 95% of the time .  

Was that the late flag that kept Arkansas in the game on the last drive? If so, I agree.... WEAK call. 

Still, teams like Ole Miss and MSU better bring their best every week, and MSU didn't today. 

MSU is at Auburn next week, don't expect calls to go your way. 

Oh absolutely at Auburn we will get no calls. 

I do like the way State is playing. We did a lot of good things today and Rogers is really playing well. Auburn’s psyche may be a bit wobbly after today.

Ruiz for the most part has been a good kicker. Today is was an awful day for him and then McCord missed the final FG. 

So winning over there will be a great challenge but certainly not out of the question. 

We will see what happens. 

31 minutes ago, Bulldogs4 said:

The call on Emerson was terrible. The receiver actually initiated the contact.

Unfortunately, they call that on the defense about 95% of the time .  

It’s tough to be a DB these days.   WRs can catch anything, are as physical as ever, and DBs can’t have any contact.  

By in large I don’t have much of an issue with how State played. Good game between two borderline Top 25 teams. Arkansas went 3/4 on field goals and State went 0/3, that and some officiating failures late were the difference.

The Air Raid is showing that it can work in the SEC. They’ve not remotely had the issues moving the ball that they had last year. It’s not all the way there yet, but you can tell the players are getting more and more comfortable in this offense. Rush three drop eight has not been the kryptonite this year, and they have gotten better and better at not letting a penalty or sack be a drive killer.

I think the defense plays hard and is typically good against the run and at corner, but they’re not great at rushing the passer and can be vulnerable at safety. Special teams have been flat out bad, and played a definite role in three of the four losses.

I think 6-6 is a record you can live with in Year 2 all things considered, but there’s still opportunity to surpass that. And if Rogers continues to play at this high level, they absolutely have a chance in their last two league games.

I will admit, I’m surprised by the improvement of State’s offense.   I read prior to yesterday’s game that something like 23 of State’s 28 TDs have been scored by sophomores and freshmen.  

Watching the Air Raid last year was really painful.   Rodgers has been impressive, but the WRs and RBs have improved a ton too.  They just need continue to improve on the OL and  recruit OL and WR heavy.