If your son was a recruit and choosing between USM or Vandy...

Blake

... which school would you prefer him attend and play for? What would be the reasoning behind that choice?

I can see factors for each school and program that would be attractive, but in the end I think there's a clear winner. At least there would be for my own thinking. But I want to hear yall's first. 

1 hour ago, Blake said:

... which school would you prefer him attend and play for? What would be the reasoning behind that choice?

I can see factors for each school and program that would be attractive, but in the end I think there's a clear winner. At least there would be for my own thinking. But I want to hear yall's first. 

Vandy, education is so much better and more prestigious.

• Like 1

I lean to Vandy for sure.
The education for one thing, but the networking and connections one could make with four or five years there. Those could pay off big time once football is over and you're in the business world. Plus playing in some really big stadiums across the southeast and almost always playing on a big network. And Nashville is a great city to live in. Sure, it's not what most of us consider a "college town", but there's lots to do, great restaurants, you have the Titans and the Preds plus tons of great concerts happening all the time

But you'd probably never experience a winning season in what's known as the worst football program in the SEC (and pretty low all around). 

Hattiesburg isn't a bad "large town" at all, and it's close to New Orleans and Mobile. And with the new deal in the Sun Belt plus Will Hall at the helm of the program there's a reason to have some renewed enthusiasm, too. If someone wanted to stick around Mississippi after graduation there's something to be said for making connections locally. 

But all points considered, I'd think Vandy was the better choice. 

I would say if all things are equal, as in it's not a financial difference and your kid's major is offered, I'd go with Vandy.  I would never use "New Orleans being close" as a positive for my college kid. I'd purposely go with the school further away from New Orleans personally. Nashville is a safer and more friendly city for a college age kid. As someone in their mid 40's, New Orleans is NOT the same city I partied in my college days. 

11 minutes ago, Tiburon said:

people have literally been getting shot on the interstate just driving through. not road rage. just people shooting up the interstate.

A lot of road rage incidents on Nashville interstates lately also.  My future daughter-in-law was knocked in the head in her apartment parking garage in Nashville.  Stole her purse and car.  Car found the next day riddled with bullet holes.  Ironically for this thread she is from Hattiesburg.

Note:  If you choose Vandy your son may need some NIL money.  My son lives there and nothing is cheap.  We went to Vandy/State game last weekend and checked on tickets to the NFL game.  Decided not to invest that much to see a game that I couldn't care less about who won.

Vandy should give free tickets to get fans in the stadium.  There is so much to do in Nashville that the Vandy games get lost in the shuffle.

On 10/28/2021 at 11:10 AM, VancleaveDogs said:

Is this really a topic to be discussed.......lol

I remember asking this many years ago on here (maybe even in the James Franklin years?) and the replies were almost half and half. 

5 hours ago, TK_on_the_Coast said:

Why wouldn't it be ?? 

Because one school gives you a world class education. That alone is the difference. City, conference, etc does not matter when comparing the two. If a potential employer is looking at a resume and you have a degree from Vanderbilt vs Southern Miss they are taking the Vandy grad every time. Same could be said for Vandy vs the majority of any southern schools. 

On 10/29/2021 at 8:04 PM, MadisonReb10 said:

Because one school gives you a world class education. That alone is the difference. City, conference, etc does not matter when comparing the two. If a potential employer is looking at a resume and you have a degree from Vanderbilt vs Southern Miss they are taking the Vandy grad every time. Same could be said for Vandy vs the majority of any southern schools. 

Oh I totally get that - as I originally answered - the choice is clear 

Depends on what type of degree your child is seeking and what they have planned after college.  Let's say for instance my child who is debating coaching or becoming an AF Pilot - where he got his degree wouldn't matter.  It would then become a situation where you look at relationships with coaches, players, professors - etc.  If your child goes 4+ years at a university and it's killing them emotionally, that becomes more important than where they get their degree.

I will say - having been in hiring for a decade, I just don't see where many folks hire based off of school anymore.  Most of us have interviews and the sequence of questions should help determine the best candidates.  You'll have bums and superior performers come from all walks of life and all sorts of different schools