I grew up in a Methodist church and went to methodist churches most of my life. They were Wesleyan (Arminian) of course. There was a time in college when I was at USM that one semester. I went to the BSU with my roommate once and met some good people and kept going. Once while playing pingpong I mentioned MYF. A girl asked, "What's MYF?" I told her it stood for Methodist Youth Fellowship, but it was basically the youth group. She asked me what I was doing at a methodist church. I told her I grew up Methodist and that's where I go when I'm back home (I usually went to FBC Hattiesburg that semester). 

Her response kinda surprised me. She said, "You can't be Methodist. You seem so Baptist!" I didn't know that that meant. I never tried to "seem" anything. But it made me realize how wrapped up in denominations some people get. I know people who are ardent Baptists and Methodists and _____________. And they'd probably claim that denomination before saying they follow Jesus or that they are a Christian. I think that's backwards. Sure, I believe it's fine to be proud of your denomination... but that's secondary to following Jesus, right?

For the last 8 years I've been going to a church that is kinda a mix of a Baptist church and a Presbyterian church. Let's call it 'reformed Baptist". Which has some differences from my Methodist upbringing for sure. But I don't think the "differences" are "salvation critical" issues.

I am a reformed Baptist. The last 2-3 years my idea of what salvation means has changed significantly. Theology became much more important to me, and the more I studied the Bible, the more of a calvinist I became. I don’t see how anyone can read the New Testament, especially Romans, and not be.

22 hours ago, Chunky6617 said:

I am a reformed Baptist. The last 2-3 years my idea of what salvation means has changed significantly. Theology became much more important to me, and the more I studied the Bible, the more of a calvinist I became. I don’t see how anyone can read the New Testament, especially Romans, and not be.

I think one can find verses to support both positions, to be honest. But either way, the truth of the Gospel is still the same regardless.

On 4/5/2021 at 9:14 PM, Blake said:

I think one can find verses to support both positions, to be honest. But either way, the truth of the Gospel is still the same regardless.

I don’t really think you can. I used to think that, but once I actually decided to study the scriptures, there just isn’t any way I could deny the reformed doctrines of grace. It’s just all over the Bible. Somewhere along the way, we came up with this notion God is just waiting on us, and the ball is in our court. God and man cannot both be sovereign.