Theology

Chunky6617

I grew up in a Methodist church and went to methodist churches most of my life. They were Wesleyan (Arminian) of course. There was a time in college when I was at USM that one semester. I went to the BSU with my roommate once and met some good people and kept going. Once while playing pingpong I mentioned MYF. A girl asked, "What's MYF?" I told her it stood for Methodist Youth Fellowship, but it was basically the youth group. She asked me what I was doing at a methodist church. I told her I grew up Methodist and that's where I go when I'm back home (I usually went to FBC Hattiesburg that semester). 

Her response kinda surprised me. She said, "You can't be Methodist. You seem so Baptist!" I didn't know that that meant. I never tried to "seem" anything. But it made me realize how wrapped up in denominations some people get. I know people who are ardent Baptists and Methodists and _____________. And they'd probably claim that denomination before saying they follow Jesus or that they are a Christian. I think that's backwards. Sure, I believe it's fine to be proud of your denomination... but that's secondary to following Jesus, right?

For the last 8 years I've been going to a church that is kinda a mix of a Baptist church and a Presbyterian church. Let's call it 'reformed Baptist". Which has some differences from my Methodist upbringing for sure. But I don't think the "differences" are "salvation critical" issues.

I am a reformed Baptist. The last 2-3 years my idea of what salvation means has changed significantly. Theology became much more important to me, and the more I studied the Bible, the more of a calvinist I became. I don’t see how anyone can read the New Testament, especially Romans, and not be.

22 hours ago, Chunky6617 said:

I am a reformed Baptist. The last 2-3 years my idea of what salvation means has changed significantly. Theology became much more important to me, and the more I studied the Bible, the more of a calvinist I became. I don’t see how anyone can read the New Testament, especially Romans, and not be.

I think one can find verses to support both positions, to be honest. But either way, the truth of the Gospel is still the same regardless.

On 4/5/2021 at 9:14 PM, Blake said:

I think one can find verses to support both positions, to be honest. But either way, the truth of the Gospel is still the same regardless.

I don’t really think you can. I used to think that, but once I actually decided to study the scriptures, there just isn’t any way I could deny the reformed doctrines of grace. It’s just all over the Bible. Somewhere along the way, we came up with this notion God is just waiting on us, and the ball is in our court. God and man cannot both be sovereign. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 10:22 PM, Chunky6617 said:

I don’t really think you can. I used to think that, but once I actually decided to study the scriptures, there just isn’t any way I could deny the reformed doctrines of grace. It’s just all over the Bible. Somewhere along the way, we came up with this notion God is just waiting on us, and the ball is in our court. God and man cannot both be sovereign. 

I'll share these not to get in a debate... I'll admit I'll bow out because I don't believe there would be any minds changed. But I'll share a few verses that I think could be supportive of Arminian theology. And as I mentioned earlier, I think there are many that are supportive of Reformed theology as well.

“[God] desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth” (1 Tim. 2:4)

“The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance” (2 Pet. 3:9)

“I called and you refused, I stretched out my hand and no one paid attention.” (Prov. 1:24)

“I will destine you for the sword, and all of you will bow down to the slaughter. Because I called, but you did not answer; I spoke, but you did not hear. And you did evil in My sight and chose that in which I did not delight.” (Isa. 65:12)

“My people did not listen to My voice, and Israel did not obey Me. 12 So I gave them over to the stubbornness of their heart, to walk in their own devices. 13 Oh that My people would listen to Me, that Israel would walk in My ways! 14 I would quickly subdue their enemies and turn My hand against their adversaries.” (Ps. 81:11-14)

"4 For it is impossible to bring back to repentance those who were once enlightened—those who have experienced the good things of heaven and shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the power of the age to come— 6 and who then turn away from God. It is impossible to bring such people back to repentance; by rejecting the Son of God, they themselves are nailing him to the cross once again and holding him up to public shame." (Hebrews 6:4-6)

"I am coming soon.[d] Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take away your crown." (Rev 3:11)

"17 You already know these things, dear friends. So be on guard; then you will not be carried away by the errors of these wicked people and lose your own secure footing. 18 Rather, you must grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 3:17