Pascagoula at Wayne County

Archer

I'm expecting a typical Wayne County team. Tough, physical and great athletes. Coffee shop talk in town is that Wayne County hasn't been allowed to practice until this past Thursday or Friday while they were out on quarantine. Any truth to that? If so, I think that could be advantageous for Goula. If not, I expect a hard-fought contest in Waynesboro between two good football teams. Goula has a lot of work on defense to fix, but the potential is there. Lot of young talent on the field defensively including several sophomores and freshmen seeing quality playing time. 

2 hours ago, Archer said:

Enlighten me on Wayne's outlook.  Experienced or young team?  Which system is the new coach running?  

Not sure about the team experience but I think they are running a variation of the wing T. Coach is in his first year from I think Thomasville in Alabama.

I"m just happy to have electricity and be back home at this point.

From what I gather they are just now lifting some of the veil of secrecy around whats being installed. I'll  know more about what's going on sometime tonight. Not that I'm going to reveal much. 

Edited by slicklizard

9 hours ago, slicklizard said:

Freshman team handled Meridian pretty good tonight.  I will say this about the offense they are putting in. I once had someone from Picayune tell me they don’t run the wing t. Well if Picayune doesn’t run a wing t then what  Wayne County is going to run isn’t a wing t  either.

Any truth to the claim about the lack of practice time during quarantine?

Finally...Hopefully....we can get this thing started.  

Jamboree on 8/30........Cancelled

Game 1 8/28.................Cancelled

Game 2 9/3...................Cancelled

Practice cancelled August 20 - September 2

Absolutely can not wait for some ACTION

Safe travels to the Goula folk that will be coming to Waynesboro Friday night.  

23 minutes ago, WABO1 said:

Finally...Hopefully....we can get this thing started.  

Jamboree on 8/30........Cancelled

Game 1 8/28.................Cancelled

Game 2 9/3...................Cancelled

Practice cancelled August 20 - September 2

Absolutely can not wait for some ACTION

Safe travels to the Goula folk that will be coming to Waynesboro Friday night.  

I truly hate that you guys haven't been able to practice. That sucks to not be able to play AND not be able to even practice. From a conditioning standpoint, I know that is probably a concern for the coaching staff. Not having the jamboree or 1st game under our belts I believe hurt us last Friday. I am excited to continue to play you guys. Was always a fun game when I was player at Goula. You guys are always a great program and measuring stick. Can't wait to watch our teams go to war Friday!

4 hours ago, GoulaEagle05 said:

I truly hate that you guys haven't been able to practice. That sucks to not be able to play AND not be able to even practice. From a conditioning standpoint, I know that is probably a concern for the coaching staff. Not having the jamboree or 1st game under our belts I believe hurt us last Friday. I am excited to continue to play you guys. Was always a fun game when I was player at Goula. You guys are always a great program and measuring stick. Can't wait to watch our teams go to war Friday!

We will lineup and give 100% the down time will hurt for sure but hey we’re not the only one dealing with that problem. You guys know better than most because y’all were virtual as well. I know we always enjoy playing you guys and hope we can keep the series going. Not sure what we may look like Friday but we will be fine going into region play. On a side note please keep one of our starting offensive linemen and his family in your prayers as they lay his father to rest today. He was a big part of our community and will be missed.

21 hours ago, Wareaglefan1us said:

We will lineup and give 100% the down time will hurt for sure but hey we’re not the only one dealing with that problem. You guys know better than most because y’all were virtual as well. I know we always enjoy playing you guys and hope we can keep the series going. Not sure what we may look like Friday but we will be fine going into region play. On a side note please keep one of our starting offensive linemen and his family in your prayers as they lay his father to rest today. He was a big part of our community and will be missed.

I hate to hear that. I can't imagine how difficult that is for that young man. You are right about the being virtual. I think it played a huge factor in hurting us, however I think it was a good lesson learned for the players and staff. Was planning on attending the game, but unfortunately I have a wedding weekend in Pensacola so I will be watching the live stream. I was told WGUD would be live streaming it. Not sure how accurate that may be with it being an away contest though.

11 minutes ago, Archer said:

I think WC can be a very good team.  They’re play-action game is going to be deadly with seasoning.  

Pascagoula, on the other hand, will be fighting for the fourth playoff spot.  

I don’t want to get ahead of myself but I think we can make some noise this year. 

I can’t say enough about our new coach. They were on top of the refs all night. Twenty out of the starting twenty two had never played a down of varsity football 

11 hours ago, slicklizard said:

LOL. definitely low T offense.   That's what I'm going to call it. I was impressed. 

On another note was this the nail in a coffin for Lewis Sims. 

If back to back 3-8 and 1-10 seasons were not enough to remove Lewis Sims, then he must have a lifetime contract.

Pascagoula is an apathetic, high school sports town in which accountability is no longer demanded.  

People don’t realize WC played on about five days practice after being virtual. In those few day our entire team wasn’t there very often. They played last night down a few including their best defensive lineman. I was really worried about fatigue late but the guys gutted it out. I know it’s one game but I believe we’re moving in the right direction.

10 minutes ago, Wareaglefan1us said:

People don’t realize WC played on about five days practice after being virtual. In those few day our entire team wasn’t there very often. They played last night down a few including their best defensive lineman. I was really worried about fatigue late but the guys gutted it out. I know it’s one game but I believe we’re moving in the right direction.

From a Pascagoula fan, you’re must assuredly moving in the right direction.  Playing as crisply as you did having faced that adversity is a testament to the coaching/leadership.

Edited by Archer

Just able to sit down and talk about the game. Was out of town at a wedding and just got the chance to watch the game last night. First, hats off to Wayne County. Heck of a job. They wanted it more than our kids did (especially in the 1st half). Found a weakness in our defense and exploited it all night. That probably was the least physically imposing Wayne County team I have seen in the last few years, but I would argue it was the best coached as well. Great game plan. I read where someone posted earlier in the thread about Wayne County being sort of an unknown because they haven't played a game yet. I think that played a factor some in the game, but Wayne County simply wanted it more early on and made the plays they needed to, when they needed to. Offensively, we looked out of sync and off rhythm. We would make a good play, then a penalty flag or negative play bring us back. Going back and watching the game, Wayne County was fully committed to stopping our run. We should've tried the passing game a little more earlier on in my opinion. We were having success later in the 3rd/4th quarter having to play catch up. I think if we attempted some things earlier on in the passing game, it would have made things a little easier maybe for run game. Wayne County did a great job keeping our defense off balance as well. Going from spread type formations to more wing-t like (or Low-T as some have dubbed it lol) was a good change of pace and utilized strength in the backfield. Wayne County will be a good one going forward and I think they have a shot to make some serious noise as they begin to gel and get their feet under them. As for my Panthers, we have to figure out the kinks defensively. Two weeks in a row we didn't look great. Offense just had to clean up mistakes. We got down inside the 15-20 yard line several times and only had 6 points to show for it. Can't have that if you want to compete and win ball games. I have confidence we can clean that up on offense. Defense, I don't know. Two weeks now with two different offensive philosophies we've been beaten soundly. I trust Sims to help right the ship. Best of Luck to Wayne County the rest of the way!!

22 minutes ago, GoulaEagle05 said:

Just able to sit down and talk about the game. Was out of town at a wedding and just got the chance to watch the game last night. First, hats off to Wayne County. Heck of a job. They wanted it more than our kids did (especially in the 1st half). Found a weakness in our defense and exploited it all night. That probably was the least physically imposing Wayne County team I have seen in the last few years, but I would argue it was the best coached as well. Great game plan. I read where someone posted earlier in the thread about Wayne County being sort of an unknown because they haven't played a game yet. I think that played a factor some in the game, but Wayne County simply wanted it more early on and made the plays they needed to, when they needed to. Offensively, we looked out of sync and off rhythm. We would make a good play, then a penalty flag or negative play bring us back. Going back and watching the game, Wayne County was fully committed to stopping our run. We should've tried the passing game a little more earlier on in my opinion. We were having success later in the 3rd/4th quarter having to play catch up. I think if we attempted some things earlier on in the passing game, it would have made things a little easier maybe for run game. Wayne County did a great job keeping our defense off balance as well. Going from spread type formations to more wing-t like (or Low-T as some have dubbed it lol) was a good change of pace and utilized strength in the backfield. Wayne County will be a good one going forward and I think they have a shot to make some serious noise as they begin to gel and get their feet under them. As for my Panthers, we have to figure out the kinks defensively. Two weeks in a row we didn't look great. Offense just had to clean up mistakes. We got down inside the 15-20 yard line several times and only had 6 points to show for it. Can't have that if you want to compete and win ball games. I have confidence we can clean that up on offense. Defense, I don't know. Two weeks now with two different offensive philosophies we've been beaten soundly. I trust Sims to help right the ship. Best of Luck to Wayne County the rest of the way!!

I agree with you 100% about being the least physically imposing team we have had in a while. But them guys play with their hair on fire. The kids played with great effort and discipline. They were for the most part where they were supposed  to be.