College Baseball Season

Dawg83

State wins 9-6 to take the series. It was a blowout most of the way but some errors in the 7th made it interesting. But then Sims came in for the last two innings and shut it down.

State has done what they have to do to keep themselves in the SEC title hunt. Would really help if you can finish off the sweep and then have Georgia and Alabama find a way to take one this weekend. I’m not above claiming a shared championship in baseball if it comes down to that. But you’ve gotta like how State has positioned itself given that their last two weekends are seemingly far easier than the other contenders.

Edited by Dawg83

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Dawg83 said:

State wins 9-6 to take the series. It was a blowout most of the way but some errors in the 7th made it interesting. But then Sims came in for the last two innings and shut it down.

State has done what they have to do to keep themselves in the SEC title hunt. Would really help if you can finish off the sweep and then have Georgia and Alabama find a way to take one this weekend. I’m not above claiming a shared championship in baseball if it comes down to that. But you’ve gotta like how State has positioned itself given that their last two weekends are seemingly far easier than the other contenders.

Georgia just took one from Arkansas. The SEC now has a 4 way tie at the top with 16-7 records- Arkansas, Vandy, Tennessee, and MSU.

MSU has the "easiest" schedule ahead, but also looks to be last of those four if it comes down to tie-breakers right now. 

Vandy has series wins over Tennessee and MSU, they don't play Arkansas. 

Arkansas has the sweep over MSU, plays at Tennessee next weekend, and doesn't play Vandy. 

Tennessee is 1-2 vs Vandy, hosts Arkansas next weekend, and doesn't play MSU. 

MSU is 0-3 vs Arkansas, 1-2 vs Vandy, and doesn't play Tennessee. 

The Arkansas at Tennessee series is huge for both of those teams (and the other 2 at the top) next weekend. I expect all 4 of the leaders to win tomorrow. 

On regionals- IF selections were made today: 

Arkansas, Vandy, MSU, and Tennessee are national seeds. 

OM and Florida are regional hosts. 

But no weekend is ever easy. Missouri may not be very good but if we don’t stay focused, we could easily drop a game or two during that series. We swept A&M but two of the games were one run victories (including extra innings in the first game). 

Then the last series is @Bama. They are much improved this year. One positive there is we will probably have more fans in the stadium than they will. Plus it is still a rivalry (they actually lead the overall series though 214-199-4) so there are no guarantees except play one game at a time. 

I do agree State has put ourselves in a good position to this point and I like the way we are playing. Winning today would be great though we know sweeping a SEC team on the road is tough. 

Unfortunately for Ole Miss, it may not matter what happens the rest of the way. Hoglund goes for an MRI Monday to see if he’s torn his UCL and needs TJ surgery.

Taking into account the Bianco factor and his teams performing poorly in the post season regardless of the amount of talent on the team , plus the regression thru this season of the majority of the bullpen , if Ole Miss loses Hoglund then it’s game over. 

There’s no one other than Nihkazy that can give you any kind of consistent start from the mound. Broadway has already been showing signs of overuse and fatigue over the last month or so. 

Bottom line in the bullpen staff has just been horrendous. Tons of guys that on paper should be great but in real life couldn’t handle starting for JV team. The weather man is more reliable than our bullpen at the moment.

You add to the poor pitching with the fact that Ole Miss is one of the worst defensive teams in the SEC. I just don’t see a way that Ole Miss can navigate itself thru a regional. 

***And Ole Miss blows game 3 and drops the series to TAMU. Lots of questions for Coach Bianco to answer after this. I’d bet he throws a “that’s baseball” in there somewhere as an excuse for this loss. 

Would be interesting to see what Lemonis would accomplish with the Ole Miss roster.

Edited by sportsmaniac10

For the record, there are no “tiebreakers” for determining SEC champions, just for Hoover seeding. If there’s a tie at the top then all of the tied teams are co-champs. It’s happened several times in the past, on a local level Ole Miss fans probably remember that happening with them in 2009. Even if State doesn’t win any Hoover tiebreakers, if they are tied for first they will be officially recognized as a conference champion. Just wanted to get that out of the way ahead of time since we may be headed that direction and I’m sure there will be naysayers if/when it does happen.

Ok now onto the actual games. For State you hate to lose a very winnable game like that but it’s tough to sweep quality teams on the road. SC has a couple of very good bullpen arms and they proved it today. But State still won a road series against the No. 12 RPI team, so can’t really call the weekend anything short of a success.

Ole Miss is once again playing with fire here. I expect them to make the list of 20 possible hosts this week, but if they finish any worse than 3-3 in the last six then they’re not going to host. Simple as that. And closing with Vandy and a road series against a Georgia team that will be desperate is by no means any easy final two series.

Fascinated to see if USM makes the cut for a possible host. I believe they are deserving. I’m also of the opinion that Hattiesburg and Oxford will get one host site between the two of them, and the teams will be paired together regardless.

Edited by Dawg83

Just now, Dawg83 said:

For the record, there are no “tiebreakers” for determining SEC champions, just for Hoover seeding. If there’s a tie at the top then all of the tied teams are co-champs. It’s happened several times in the past, on a local level Ole Miss fans probably remember that happening with them in 2009. Even if State doesn’t win any Hoover tiebreakers, if they are tied for first they will be officially recognized as a conference champion. Just wanted to get that out of the way ahead of time since we may be headed that direction and I’m sure there will be naysayers if/when it does happen.

Ok now onto the actual games. For State you hate to lose a very winnable game like that but it’s tough to sweep quality teams on the road. SC has a couple of very good bullpen arms and they proved it today. But State still win a road series against the No. 12 RPI team can’t call the weekend anything short of a success.

Ole Miss is once again playing with fire here. I expect them to make the list of 20 possible hosts this week, but if they finish any worse than 3-3 in the last six then they’re not going to host. Simple as that. And closing with Vandy and a road series against a Georgia team that will be desperate is by no means any easy final two series.

Fascinated to see if USM makes the cut for a possible host. I believe they are deserving. I’m also of the opinion that Hattiesburg and Oxford will get one host site between the two of them, and the teams will be paired together regardless.

Ole Miss fans sure know how that works, the SEC recognizes "co-champs". A lot of poking fun of Ole Miss happened after they hung that banner in the football stadium for Co-West SEC Champs. 

This OM baseball team, they really needed to win this series to stay on the right side of the hosting bubble. I agree with 3-3, has to be that in the last 6 to host. If Gunner is done for the season, it really doesn't matter if Ole Miss hosts or not... they won't make it out of a regional. 

3 hours ago, rebmus said:

Ole Miss fans sure know how that works, the SEC recognizes "co-champs". A lot of poking fun of Ole Miss happened after they hung that banner in the football stadium for Co-West SEC Champs. 

This OM baseball team, they really needed to win this series to stay on the right side of the hosting bubble. I agree with 3-3, has to be that in the last 6 to host. If Gunner is done for the season, it really doesn't matter if Ole Miss hosts or not... they won't make it out of a regional. 

I do think football and baseball are a little different. The tiebreaker to determine which team goes to Atlanta is far more significant than the tiebreaker to determine who gets the 1 seed or the 2 seed in Hoover. I have rolled my eyes a little over the years at the 2003 football thing but as I mentioned, I have no issue whatsoever with Ole Miss claiming an SEC baseball title in 2009 even though they were the 3 seed in Hoover.

It’s going to come down to the wire for Ole Miss and their hosting chances. Overall SEC record is fine right now but I can’t help but wonder if all the series losses are really going to ding their resume. I mean at this point you’re pretty clearly sixth in the pecking order among potential SEC host sites, given that Florida has seemingly gotten it together and has the head to head advantage. Does the SEC get rewarded with six sites in a COVID year when Team 6 has lost the majority of their series in league play? Man that may be a tough sell.

Barring a major, major collapse, State is a Top 8 seed. It would take 2-4 or worse in the last six and a bad showing in Hoover. As bad as Missouri is and with Bama’s pitching falling apart due to injury, the schedule really sets up nicely the next two weeks. I don’t know that the No. 1 overall seed is in reach since Arkansas swept you in Starkville, but I do think State could end up as high as No. 2 overall. They’re probably in the 2 to 4 range at the moment.

My prediction for the 20 “possible” host sites when announced later in the week:

LOCKS: Arkansas, MSU, Vandy, Tennessee, TCU, Texas, Notre Dame, Arizona, Oregon, Texas Tech, Stanford, Florida

PROBABLE: East Carolina, Louisiana Tech,

HOSTING BUBBLE: Ole Miss, Pitt, Charlotte, Southern Miss, Florida State, Indiana

JUST MISSED THE CUT: UCLA, South Carolina, Oregon State, Miami, Gonzaga

I feel pretty confident in about 16 or 17 of those 20 making the cut, but the last few spots I have no idea about.

For Ole Miss, I sure hope Hoglund is not done for the season. That will be tough. 
On paper it sounds almost impossible but OM can win two in BNA. Vandy has some chinks in the armor. 

State just needs to avoid being overconfident against Mizzou and just take care of business this weekend. 
You never like to lose but yesterday’s game was not a bad loss at a all and the fact that it stings a bit should be a good incentive to the team to stay focused and not start thinking we are invincible. 

6 hours ago, Bulldogs4 said:

For Ole Miss, I sure hope Hoglund is not done for the season. That will be tough. 
On paper it sounds almost impossible but OM can win two in BNA. Vandy has some chinks in the armor. 

State just needs to avoid being overconfident against Mizzou and just take care of business this weekend. 
You never like to lose but yesterday’s game was not a bad loss at a all and the fact that it stings a bit should be a good incentive to the team to stay focused and not start thinking we are invincible. 

Nothing official that I've seen, but I figure Hoglund is done for the season. 

I HOPE I'm wrong. 

Officially confirmed, Hoglund out for the year and will have TJ surgery. Hate it for the guy, really talented pitcher.

Injuries are far from the only issues that OM has had, but it would be disingenuous to not acknowledge that injuries have played a significant role in making this team a lesser version of what it could’ve been.

31 minutes ago, Dawg83 said:

Officially confirmed, Hoglund out for the year and will have TJ surgery. Hate it for the guy, really talented pitcher.

Injuries are far from the only issues that OM has had, but it would be disingenuous to not acknowledge that injuries have played a significant role in making this team a lesser version of what it could’ve been.

Very fair take, sir. Hoglund, Elko, Ely, Cioffi all either completely out or basically out. This combined with some very untimely hitting and nobody else much stepping up out of that pen. Rough. But good teams find a way to do something with what they DO have. If you don't, then you are just average or below. We'll see. 

Agreed 83 and IA, injuries have played a role, as has untimely hitting, and also the bullpen just hasn't stepped up for the most part. I'll throw in the fielding, too many untimely errors. 

It really doesn't matter if Ole Miss gets to host or not (outside of bragging rights and good for the economy in Oxford), this team most likely won't advance out of any regional without Hoglund. 

Just now, MSTSatchmo said:

That sucks for OM.  This year and last year they had the talent to make a deep postseason run.  Even with the bullpen problems this year, they had two solid starters and enough hitting to be dangerous.  

True, but more importantly I really hope this doesn't suck more for Hoglund as in dropping far in the draft due to injury. 

He's been a really good college pitcher and has potential to be a solid pro. 

Typically, TJ surgeries go well nowadays... so hopefully his draft pick position doesn't fall too much. 

This hurts to hear this news. I enjoy college baseball and even though I am a State grad, I am a fan all three of the major in state schools in baseball and you can throw in Delta State, William Carey etc as well. 

Part of that enjoyment is seeing great players around the State and to see one of the best pitchers go out with an injury is just brutal. 

The TJ surgery in the present day does not seem as invasive as it was years ago and so hopefully he will recover and go onto a good MLB career. But for now that is a tough blow to Ole Miss along with the other injuries you guys have endured. 

With all that said, I am predicting you win 2 out of 3 against Vandy this weekend. I think the team will rally and play better baseball this weekend. Don’t ask me why, I just have that feeling. 

On 5/11/2021 at 11:53 PM, Bulldogs4 said:

With all that said, I am predicting you win 2 out of 3 against Vandy this weekend. I think the team will rally and play better baseball this weekend. Don’t ask me why, I just have that feeling. 

Eh, I see it this way on OM/Vandy: 

49.99999999% chance OM wins 1 of 3. 

48% chance Vandy sweeps. 

1% chance OM wins 2 of 3. 

.00000001% chance OM sweeps. 

State squeaks out an ugly win against Mizzou to start the series. Played horribly for the first 2/3 of the game but hung around long enough to claw back into it and steal a win from a bad team. Bullpen was excellent on a night where starting pitching, hitting, and defense were all below average.

Edited by Dawg83

At this point ugly wins are always good wins. Teams like Missouri are tough because on a given night they can beat anybody, they have nothing to lose and generally play loose. As I predicted, no game is going to be easy. Though hopefully we can play a cleaner game tonight and win as well. 

Sims only threw 24 pitches last night so he would probably be available tomorrow for an inning if needed. Coach is conservative with our pitchers which is a good thing overall. 

I know it is impossible to do but if our players just take care of the game we are playing and forget about the other teams and what they are doing, that is the best strategy. Though it is hard not to scoreboard watch. 

I don't know that Lemonis actually cares a ton about winning the SEC. If it happens I'm sure he'd be thrilled, but he's more about setting himself up the best for the postseason. I think that's why they've used Sims less frequently than they probably could have. Either way, if State is able to go 4-1 or 5-0 in their remaining games then there's pretty good chance they will be, at the very least, co-champions with somebody else.

I still tend to think State sweeps this weekend. Fascinated to see what happens in Knoxville and Oxford this weekend, those two series have huge SEC title implications. And of course Ole Miss could really use a series win to boost their hosting chances.

The list of 20 possible sites should be out by midday today, I expect State and Ole Miss to be on that list, it's going to be really close for USM. I think they are more than deserving though. My fear is that they will get bumped for a random team from the midwest for "geography reasons".

23 hours ago, rebmus said:

Eh, I see it this way on OM/Vandy: 

49.99999999% chance OM wins 1 of 3. 

48% chance Vandy sweeps. 

1% chance OM wins 2 of 3. 

.00000001% chance OM sweeps. 

Tonight’s pitching match up has the chance to be the best pitching battle of the year.  I say that and it will be a 15-14 type of game. Kumar and Leiter got all the headlines but before the injury Hoglund and Nikhazy were just as good. I