College Baseball Season

Dawg83

1 hour ago, rebmus said:

I agree with almost everything you said, but not much on this part. 

The overall resume includes wins vs #3 Texas, #12 TCU, and #8 Texas Tech outside of Oxford. 

OM also picked up one win at home vs #1 Arkansas. 

Should’ve clarified, I meant moreso the conference resume.

My biggest thing with hosting this year is that I’m convinced a southern team or two is going to get hosed because we just have to have Regionals in Ann Arbor or Lincoln or Corvallis even if those teams aren’t deserving.

No matter what happens this weekend I absolutely think State and OM both are Top 10 teams. But the danger is you don’t want to be on a skid right before they pick the hosts in a few weeks in a year where the criteria is less about merit than usual.

Edited by Dawg83

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Impressive response by Ole Miss today, a thorough butt kicking so far. Nikhazy has been great, and Bednar had by far his worst start of the year. Kudos to OM for hitting a good pitcher hard like that.

Sets up a very interesting Game 3 where both teams should have most of their bullpens fresh. Still haven’t seen Broadway yet and it sounds like State is planning on using Sims if needed. Fascinated by the starting pitching matchup, two young guys who are very talented but haven’t been in this position before. I’ll be there in person for the first time this weekend, looking forward to it.

Edited by Dawg83

I only caught a few pieces of this game on the radio, and was able to listen to the 9th inning. 

Nikhazy with a complete game an 1 hitter against a very good MSU team, very impressive effort. 

The bats came alive today also, 9 runs against MSU is also impressive, don't forget Elko is out. 

I went with MSU takes 2 of 3 this weekend, and I'll stick with that.  

Great game at The Dude, one of the better ones I’ve ever attended in person. That place went NUTS on Allen’s triple.

Can’t help but feel like Bianco’s bizarre bullpen management really killed his team’s chances in the two losses. And State’s bullpen was really good for the most part in spite of a lackluster weekend from starting pitching. Also, just great timely hitting from some guys who have been there and done that before with TA and Rowdey.

It’s a huge series win for State. 8-1 in league play since getting swept by Arkansas, probably the best they could’ve realistically hoped for. And it definitely takes pressure off you going to Nashville next weekend. One win and you’re just fine. 10-5 at the midway point with A&M and Mizzou still on the schedule is a really good spot to be in.

Edited by Dawg83

Well I am finally out of exile.  The bot (Captcha) system kept denying me access (I guess it did not believe that I was a real person and was a robot instead) but finally I was able to be accepted. 

Heck of a series this weekend. Both Friday and Sunday's games could have gone either way. The homefield definitely gave State an advantage there and as has been discussed, the deeper bullpen was a difference as well.  

That said, timely hitting along with great pitching are the two keys to winning big games.  Simply put, State had a couple more timely hits than did Ole Miss and that was ultimately the difference. Ole Miss has a very good club though and it is going to be an interesting 5 weeks coming up. Arky, OM and State are all capable of winning the West.  

I maybe in the minority but I like State's chances to win 2 games in Nashville this weekend. It certainly may not happen but this club is built for games like this. I like our grit even though great pitchers can and have shut us down (Nikhazy pitched a whale of game Saturday and was totally dominating). In any case it should be a great series. Look for tight low scoring game throughout the weekend. 

The big thing for both clubs is taking one game/one series at a time. Every SEC club is capable of beating another on a given night. Sweeps can happen but it is paramount to win 2 of 3 against the lower level teams and at least one against the top teams. State losing three against Arky was tough but the fact that happened early in the season was huge and the team has rebounded nicely since then. 

As good as Rocker and Leiter are, you can make a valid argument that Hoglund and Nikhazy have been every bit as good. So if you’re State, you’re probably looking at the same recipe to beat Vandy that you used to beat Ole Miss. Win a pitcher’s duel in one of the first two games and then let your depth be the difference on Sunday.

I’m certainly not sold on Vandy being this unstoppable force. They went 3-3 against Georgia and Tennessee teams that probably aren’t as good as State or Ole Miss. It’s just going to be a matter of finding a way to get it to Sims with the lead like you did on Friday and Sunday.

LSU beats Ole Miss in the series opener tonight. A little bit of a double whammy in that OM lost the game while throwing Broadway almost 50 pitches in the process (and he didn’t exactly look great either). Granted, OM very well may win the next two games by 10 runs apiece, LSU had to burn Marceaux and Fontenot tonight and they don’t have much left after those two. But kind of a dangerous spot for OM, can’t afford another loss this weekend or your hosting chances are really in jeopardy.

Arkansas also won in Columbia tonight. I kinda think SC is overrated so I fully expect the Hogs to win one or two more this weekend.

Edited by Dawg83

Arkansas picked up a very nice road win at South Carolina tonight. 

Ole Miss- geesh. The errors came again for Ole Miss while LSU tried to give the game back but Ole Miss couldn't capitalize. 

Hog being out didn't help, but this is a home win that was needed at this point. 

Just now, Dawg83 said:

LSU beats Ole Miss in the series opener tonight. A little bit of a double whammy in that OM lost the game while throwing Broadway almost 50 pitches in the process (and he didn’t exactly look great either). Granted, OM very well may win the next two games by 10 runs apiece, LSU had to burn Marceaux and Fontenot tonight and they don’t have much left after those two. But kind of a dangerous spot for OM, can’t afford another loss this weekend or your hosting chances are really in jeopardy.

Arkansas also won in Columbia tonight. I kinda think SC is overrated so I fully expect the Hogs to win one or two more this weekend.

You replied as I was typing, agreed on all of that.

9 hours ago, rebmus said:

Arkansas picked up a very nice road win at South Carolina tonight. 

Ole Miss- geesh. The errors came again for Ole Miss while LSU tried to give the game back but Ole Miss couldn't capitalize. 

Hog being out didn't help, but this is a home win that was needed at this point. 

I still favor Ole Miss to win the series, to be blunt this just isn't a good LSU team. Morgan and Crews have bright futures, but the upper class of that team just isn't up to snuff. Pitching-wise you've already seen their best guys. So OM should still feel good about their ability to win the next two. But if they don't.... yeesh.

Very excited to see what happens in Nashville this weekend. One win for State is perfectly fine, though I actually do feel like they have a better chance to take the series than some are giving them credit for. I say that, watch Rocker and Leiter combine for zero runs allowed and 30 strikeouts the next two nights.

Remember when the criticism last sunday was that Bianco didn't bring in Broadway early enough and cost them the game? Broadway comes in T7 and gives up 3 runs... and could've been at least one more with average baserunning. Just interesting.

5 hours ago, Blake said:

Remember when the criticism last sunday was that Bianco didn't bring in Broadway early enough and cost them the game? Broadway comes in T7 and gives up 3 runs... and could've been at least one more with average baserunning. Just interesting.

I'm sure our resident Ole Miss fans can comment more on this than I could, but that bullpen seems like a major problem. Broadway was thought to be by far the best arm and he's gotten hit pretty hard recently. I saw a stat that he's given up like 16 or 17 hits in his last four appearances and now has a .275 BAA for the season.

It really is something else, because their starting pitching is outstanding, especially if Diamond pitches like he did last night moving forward. That's one heck of a number four option. But they almost have to have complete games from everybody because their pen can't do anything right at the moment.

Wow, LSU takes the series in Oxford with a chance to sweep tomorrow. Did not see that coming at all. OM’s hosting chances in real trouble at the moment.

Rocker pretty much dominated State tonight, and MacLeod had one bad inning where it unraveled, Vandy wins 6-2. Not much else to say, quick and pretty uneventful game. State was able to save their top bullpen arms at least.

7 hours ago, Dawg83 said:

I'm sure our resident Ole Miss fans can comment more on this than I could, but that bullpen seems like a major problem. Broadway was thought to be by far the best arm and he's gotten hit pretty hard recently. I saw a stat that he's given up like 16 or 17 hits in his last four appearances and now has a .275 BAA for the season.

It really is something else, because their starting pitching is outstanding, especially if Diamond pitches like he did last night moving forward. That's one heck of a number four option. But they almost have to have complete games from everybody because their pen can't do anything right at the moment.

The bullpen is an issue, obviously. 

Another thing that's been a concern for a while that few seem to mention, the errors. Maybe it's not as bad as it seems, but it sure seems like Ole Miss has a problem with errors. 

It's hard to complain about hitting when you look at stats. However, Ole Miss seems to hit VERY WELL at times driving the stats up while hitting like dookie in other games. 

IF the season ended today and I was asked if Ole Miss deserved to host a regional, it's very debatable and I lean towards no. Plenty of baseball left to play. Things have changed a lot since that opening weekend sweep of top 10 teams so maybe things will change back into OM's favor- we'll see. 

Arkansas/USC have already finished the weekend series- 2-1 Arkansas. 

MSU really needs to pick up the next 2 at Vandy to stay close to Arkansas. 

Ole Miss has all but killed their chances of a chance to win the West with these two losses to LSU. 

If State can pick up one game this weekend they aren’t totally out of it in the West. I like State’s schedule in the last four weeks better than I like Arkansas’s.

Truthfully for State I am less concerned with the West and more concerned about staying in the Top 8 overall. I think 19 SEC wins is probably the magic number to lock it up. Might have a chance with 18 if you play well in Hoover.

10 hours ago, rebmus said:

The bullpen is an issue, obviously. 

Another thing that's been a concern for a while that few seem to mention, the errors. Maybe it's not as bad as it seems, but it sure seems like Ole Miss has a problem with errors. 

It's hard to complain about hitting when you look at stats. However, Ole Miss seems to hit VERY WELL at times driving the stats up while hitting like dookie in other games. 

IF the season ended today and I was asked if Ole Miss deserved to host a regional, it's very debatable and I lean towards no. Plenty of baseball left to play. Things have changed a lot since that opening weekend sweep of top 10 teams so maybe things will change back into OM's favor- we'll see. 

Arkansas/USC have already finished the weekend series- 2-1 Arkansas. 

MSU really needs to pick up the next 2 at Vandy to stay close to Arkansas. 

Ole Miss has all but killed their chances of a chance to win the West with these two losses to LSU. 

We hit the ball well at times but we can’t seem to get the bit hit when we need it. We have had chances to blow games open early and haven’t got it done. And it’s crazy how many times Elko’s spot comes up in them situations.

3 hours ago, Wcchaingang said:

Still a bad weekend but hell of a way to end it with the big comeback in 8-9 innings. Dougherty  is the hero of the day.

Yep. This weekend went from almost a disaster to a bad weekend. 

I'm not "excited" about the comeback, but I will say I like the team didn't quit and mounted that comeback from down 9-1. 

We'll see if that makes any momentum into next weekend's series. 

32 minutes ago, rebmus said:

Yep. This weekend went from almost a disaster to a bad weekend. 

I'm not "excited" about the comeback, but I will say I like the team didn't quit and mounted that comeback from down 9-1. 

We'll see if that makes any momentum into next weekend's series. 

They have lost 4 weekends in a row which sucks but in each series a couple things go different it’s totally different. They gotta figure out how to get the big hit at the right time it get the out when needed.

WOW, great comeback by OM to salvage the weekend. 

State beating Leiter tonight was huge for two reasons. One , he is a great pitcher. Second, it gives us a chance to win the series. 

We have plenty of arms to throw tomorrow so hopefully we can win the series. Would be huge to do so. 

I turned off the Ole Miss game in the Top of the 8th. Thought I was being lied to when someone told me they came back and won. Obviously it doesn’t totally save the weekend for OM but it keeps it from being an enormous failure. The South Carolina series next weekend is enormous, feels like whoever loses that series won’t be hosting.

Big time win for State. Bednar was better than Leiter tonight, plain and simple. A loss tomorrow isn’t a big deal at all, and they will probably have to win it without Sims, but perhaps between Fristoe, Harding, and Stinnett you still have enough bullets left in the chamber. I frankly haven’t seen much difference between the two teams to this point, and tomorrow’s game feels wide open.