College Baseball Season

Dawg83

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OM would have been a much more dangerous team with at least Hoglund healthy.   I think the pitching staff’s performance in the SECT was what I was expecting and they had not been that good as a whole all year.  They’ve had some bad luck the last two seasons, because they were a legit National seed last year.  That’s how it goes though.  I also agree that Bianco retires at OM.   

As for State, I also think ND has been the better team, but I don’t know what they’re throwing today.  If State gets hot it will be a toss up.  If they don’t, it will be worse than yesterday.  

Edited by MSTSatchmo

No way Sims starts.

Just don’t see that. 

Cerantola , if, and it is a big IF, can just throw strikes for 3 innings. His stuff is good enough but control is the key. A guy like Harding can be very effective against a team like ND because he changes speeds , is left handed. He is best suited for middle innings (3-4 tops). 

But at the end of the day , we have got to score runs and keep scoring runs. No lead is safe unless it gets ridiculous, which I don’t see happening either way. 

23 minutes ago, Bulldogs4 said:

No way Sims starts.

Just don’t see that. 

Cerantola , if, and it is a big IF, can just throw strikes for 3 innings. His stuff is good enough but control is the key. A guy like Harding can be very effective against a team like ND because he changes speeds , is left handed. He is best suited for middle innings (3-4 tops). 

But at the end of the day , we have got to score runs and keep scoring runs. No lead is safe unless it gets ridiculous, which I don’t see happening either way. 

Don’t think we can trust someone like Cerantola or Fristoe who’s had command issues. There are a list of 5 or 6 pitchers I think you could see at some point today and neither of those two are on it for me.

Ultimately you’re right, State has to hit. They probably aren’t winning a low scoring game tonight. But if you can get Harding, Sims, and one other pitcher to have good showings tonight, I feel like you have a good chance.

Just now, MSTSatchmo said:

State got as good of a start as they possibly could.   Great job by Harding also.  I still think they need 10 runs to feel good.  Lol. 

State pushed it to 10-2 after 4. ND scored 3 in the top of the 5th to make it 10-5. 

I like State's chances if they hold on to the lead after 7, Sims should be able to lock it down the last 2 innings. 

Heck of a Super Regional. Notre Dame is a great team, probably deserved a better postseason draw than they got. Could have easily gotten to Omaha and gone a long way.

What can you say about this State program right now? At this point you pretty much have to call this the best stretch in program history. Three straight Omaha trips is an incredible accomplishment.

Omaha should be a lot of fun, really strong field this year, even with a team like Arkansas not in it. It’s a rare year where I can be convinced that any of the 8 teams are capable of making a deep, deep run. 

ND outscored us 24-21 in three games but we won the series which is what counts.

Tanner’s three run homer in the second inning was the biggest hit of the game. 

Kavalas’ HR in seventh may still be airborne. Talk about crushing a ball.

Reminded me of Reggie Jackson’s HR in the 1971 all star game in Tiger Stadium (the one that hit the transformer). 

Proud of our guys for the resiliency they have shown this year. After last night, many of us did not feel too good about tonight. 

1 hour ago, Wcchaingang said:

If Bianco is lured back to LSU who does OM go after? I think Godwin is the most obvious choice.

McDonnell and Godwin would be the two names everybody mentions. Have a hard time envisioning McDonnell taking the OM job at this point. Godwin is a sure possibility but far from a given that he would take it.

If you can’t get one of those two, I would look hard at Lane Burroughs. He played a huge role in building the 2013 State team that made it to the CWS Finals and has done a really great job at LA Tech.

Edited by Dawg83

15 minutes ago, Dawg83 said:

McDonnell and Godwin would be the two names everybody mentions. Have a hard time envisioning McDonnell taking the OM job at this point. Godwin is a sure possibility but far from a given that he would take it.

If you can’t get one of those two, I would look hard at Lane Burroughs. He played a huge role in building the 2013 State team that made it to the CWS Finals and has done a really great job at LA Tech.

I think McDonnell would be a fantasy hire and Louisville would prolly match what we pay. OM should be able to out pay ECU.