Jump to content

No virtual learning schools allowed to compete ...


Archer
 Share

Recommended Posts

The Mississippi High School Activities Association will not allow schools learning virtually to compete in athletic competitions this fall, executive director Rickey Neaves said Tuesday.

Schools that opt for at-home or virtual learning cannot participate in MHSAA-sanctioned sports or activities until in-person learning is offered. This is a change from the association's COVID-19 protocols last year.

"If a school has to go virtual because of COVID, they will not be allowed to play, and any games on their schedule will be forfeited," Neaves said. "We just felt like if the school was bad enough to go virtual that we shouldn’t still be allowing them to congregate with other schools and play."

“The reasoning behind that is from the governor on down we believe that the safest place for kids to be is at school. We need to encourage them to be in school."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Blake said:

What is the threshold for determining if a school needs to go to Virtual Learning?


VII. Outbreaks and School Dismal Considerations
MSDH recommends the following considerations for outbreaks and school dismissals:
• Outbreaks: An outbreak is defined as ≥3 cases of COVID-19 in a classroom or group (sports team, group activity, band, or other) within 14 days.
o In an outbreak setting, quarantine and exclusion from the school setting is recommended for all unvaccinated exposed persons in the outbreak group.
• School Dismissal Considerations: The school may consider dismissal of the entire student/faculty under the following conditions:
o If ≥3 individual classroom settings, defined groups, or defined buildings are experiencing simultaneous outbreaks, or
o If multiple absentees or exclusions of students and staff are leading to disruptions in on-campus functioning and impacting the learning environment as determined by the school.
o If decided upon, dismissal should be for at least 14 days to interrupt transmission

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its about to happen to a lot more teams.  And I was told the Stone County situation was likely to be extended past 14 days.  They are talking about possibly doing it for 2 months.  Over 200 kids are in quarantine. Started with the band. 

 

I also know that Wayne County had a "when. not if" meeting today as they had 91 kids out.  

 

Hattiesburg is in a panic over the numbers and also considering shutting it down a couple weeks.

 

 

We will be lucky if this football season is completed.  Almost everyone is assured to have some forfeit games at this point.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Merlin said:

Its about to happen to a lot more teams.  And I was told the Stone County situation was likely to be extended past 14 days.  They are talking about possibly doing it for 2 months.  Over 200 kids are in quarantine. Started with the band. 

 

I also know that Wayne County had a "when. not if" meeting today as they had 91 kids out.  

 

Hattiesburg is in a panic over the numbers and also considering shutting it down a couple weeks.

 

 

We will be lucky if this football season is completed.  Almost everyone is assured to have some forfeit games at this point.  

Is there any indication of the kids actually having any symptoms or are they just testing  hot? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Merlin said:

Its about to happen to a lot more teams.  And I was told the Stone County situation was likely to be extended past 14 days.  They are talking about possibly doing it for 2 months.  Over 200 kids are in quarantine. Started with the band. 

 

I also know that Wayne County had a "when. not if" meeting today as they had 91 kids out.  

 

Hattiesburg is in a panic over the numbers and also considering shutting it down a couple weeks.

 

 

We will be lucky if this football season is completed.  Almost everyone is assured to have some forfeit games at this point.  

If we managed to get football in last season, there is no reason to believe it wont be played this season. This is not as bad as last yr.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How many kids are going to have their senior seasons ruined for fear mongering.  Can the state not subsidize testing at the district levels? Instead of quarantining 50 kids for contact tracing just test the kids as long as the parents consent. If we really care about kids being in school we have to stop quarantining whole classes/buses/grades. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The main result of this will only decrease how the schools are funded.  An influx of students to the private schools and home schooling is in the works. Parents are sick of the lack luster leadership in education. A large % of the departing students will be the ones who perform better in the required testing categories. Something to think about for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2021 at 11:35 AM, pancho said:

The main result of this will only decrease how the schools are funded.  An influx of students to the private schools and home schooling is in the works. Parents are sick of the lack luster leadership in education. A large % of the departing students will be the ones who perform better in the required testing categories. Something to think about for sure.

Completely agree this is going to push people to private schools.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2021 at 7:32 AM, Vott said:

If we managed to get football in last season, there is no reason to believe it wont be played this season. This is not as bad as last yr.

You're right it's worse. Numbers are way higher and kids are hit harder by this version

Edited by Arashatora
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2021 at 11:35 AM, pancho said:

The main result of this will only decrease how the schools are funded.  An influx of students to the private schools and home schooling is in the works. Parents are sick of the lack luster leadership in education. A large % of the departing students will be the ones who perform better in the required testing categories. Something to think about for sure.

"An influx of students to the private schools and home schooling is in the works."

"A large % of the departing students will be the ones who perform better in the required testing categories."

 

How about some facts and data to back up those statements?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I figure that the better performing students(who may depart public school) will be more likely to have parents who are better off financially and can afford private tuition and the cost of home schooling etc.  I have family who are beginning to home school and I have friends are are researching private school info on a daily basis and monitoring the rhetoric from respective school officials. There will be 2 main results of this action by parents. 1- test scores will then decrease overall due to better performing kids depart and 2- funding is based on how many kids butts are in the seats daily in the public school. This is just me pondering and gleaning what I can from friends and family etc. It will be interesting to follow the dynamic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2021 at 11:35 AM, pancho said:

The main result of this will only decrease how the schools are funded.  An influx of students to the private schools and home schooling is in the works. Parents are sick of the lack luster leadership in education. A large % of the departing students will be the ones who perform better in the required testing categories. Something to think about for sure.

The real result that will come from this trial run of virtual learning.  
Within a few years you can look for it to go further and further that way. 
Less teachers needing to be paid. Less retirement needing to be funded. No need f.or buses, maintenance or drivers. No school lunches needed. No upkeep on buildings or new ones for that matter. It’s already being whispered in Washington. It’s what is driving a lot of the funding for widespread broadband to every corner of the country. If I was considering or had a child that was considering a career in education I would definitely steer them towards focusing on virtual learning or the upkeep and development of said systems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2021 at 8:45 AM, lionpack said:

How many kids are going to have their senior seasons ruined for fear mongering.  Can the state not subsidize testing at the district levels? Instead of quarantining 50 kids for contact tracing just test the kids as long as the parents consent. If we really care about kids being in school we have to stop quarantining whole classes/buses/grades. 

That would make too much sense. I know one particular school in North Mississippi that has quarantined over 30% of their student population not because of positive cases, but due to contact tracing linked to 4 positive cases. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2021 at 7:32 AM, Vott said:

If we managed to get football in last season, there is no reason to believe it wont be played this season. This is not as bad as last yr.

My friend, you are misinformed. It is far worse than last year. Hospitalizations, symptoms, etc. of young adults and teens are WAY up compared to last year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, BoKnows08 said:

That would make too much sense. I know one particular school in North Mississippi that has quarantined over 30% of their student population not because of positive cases, but due to contact tracing linked to 4 positive cases. 

Pearl River Central HS was similar. 40% of school was put on quarantine for less than 6 positive tests I believe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...