6A Football Semifinals: Who ya got?

David

Oops my bad, I was referring to then 5A and now 6A schools. D’Iberville was 4A in 2002. 
Wayne County won 5A in 2002. 

Picayune has an excellent program and team. And while they have won 3 state championships in the recent years, they were in 5A and not 6A. 
And yes they are considered a coast team. 

My comment was referring to largest classification 5A from 2001 on and then 6A when they added it around 10 years or so ago. 

I do stand by my original statement.  I do believe Ocean Springs breaks the 6A drought for the coast teams this year. 

11 hours ago, Bulldogs4 said:

Oops my bad, I was referring to then 5A and now 6A schools. D’Iberville was 4A in 2002. 
Wayne County won 5A in 2002. 

Picayune has an excellent program and team. And while they have won 3 state championships in the recent years, they were in 5A and not 6A. 
And yes they are considered a coast team. 

My comment was referring to largest classification 5A from 2001 on and then 6A when they added it around 10 years or so ago. 

I do stand by my original statement.  I do believe Ocean Springs breaks the 6A drought for the coast teams this year. 

If I’m not wrong, and I could be, GC is actually the last Coast team to play for it all in the biggest classification back in 2007. I very well could be wrong though. I know Goula played for 5A in 2012 as did Picayune a few times. I cant think of anyone since 2009 when 6A started that has played in it from the coast. I’m probably wrong though. 

In here to take my lumps and give congrats to a really good Brandon team. I’ll talk another day about what coulda been, but it hurts for our players and coaches. Rather lose by 30 than on a last second kick with second guessing. Good luck, Bulldogs. 

10 hours ago, David said:

In here to take my lumps and give congrats to a really good Brandon team. I’ll talk another day about what coulda been, but it hurts for our players and coaches. Rather lose by 30 than on a last second kick with second guessing. Good luck, Bulldogs. 

I know its no consolation in a game like this one was , But, this was two great teams going at it and laying it all on the line. The difference in the teams was not visible, Brandon just has the ball last. It was a great game to watch for someone neutral but it had to be excruciating as a fan of either team.

Nothing for Ocean Springs to hang their head about . They gave a good account of themselves. Ya'll will break through soon enough.

Heart breaking loss for Ocean Springs. Brandon persevered in a tough environment. Football can be a cruel game when you lose but such a high when you win a game like last night. 
But as Lizard said, your kids left it all on the field that is all you can ask them to do. But it hurts to be that close. 

Over the recent 5 years or so we have been out of the loop in Meridian and I would much rather lose play off heartbreaker than to not make the playoffs. 

It is a process. I remember 2005 SP beats us 52-14 in the championship game, in 2006 we lost the Championship to SP 28-21, before running into a George County buzz saw in 2007 and they whipped our a** in Ray Stadium for the South State. But all that prepared us for 2008 when we broke SP’s streak and won the State. It just takes time. Brandon has been knocking on the door for several years. They may break through this year but Starkville will be a tough out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slicklizard said:

I know its no consolation in a game like this one was , But, this was two great teams going at it and laying it all on the line. The difference in the teams was not visible, Brandon just has the ball last. It was a great game to watch for someone neutral but it had to be excruciating as a fan of either team.

Nothing for Ocean Springs to hang their head about . They gave a good account of themselves. Ya'll will break through soon enough.

Thanks, Slick and everybody else. This was football at the highest level, with one of the best atmospheres I’ve ever experienced in high school ball. and we came up one play short. I’ll talk about the offense and defense, covering onside kicks, and as a part of the game, some referee calls that changed things but probably evened out overall. Our program is still in good shape, but might take a step back after having the best player in the state in my opinion, Bray Hubbard. All that said, good luck to Brandon going forward. I’m torn between supporting the south and the team that knocked us out, and supporting the town where my Dad spent time growing up. (He was a young QB at Amory and Hinds JC before and after WW2). I’ve enjoyed the back and forth all season, and look forward to doing this again next year. 

Edited by David