6A Football Semifinals: Who ya got?

David

Consensus favorite Tupelo plays the turnaround team Starkville in the north. After beating the Jackets early season 24-17, the Wave now must do it again against a team that has been hot since losing that game. Defensive minded Tupelo allows less than a touchdown a game, Starkville hasn’t been challenged their last five games, squeaking into the playoffs. I’m going with the team with momentum on their side, the visiting Yellowjackets, 38-35. 

Brandon started the season on top of everybody’s poll, returning two special running backs to a team with playoff experience and maybe a chip on their shoulder from losing last year’s championship game. Losing one of those RBs mid season seemed to slow their roll in a loss and a tight win. They will face the new kids with (maybe) the most exciting player Bray Hubbard. No one man team, but pretty dependent on good QB play, Ocean Springs hasn’t been challenged save for a two minute span of their last playoff game. Talent all over the field for both teams. I’m going with the home team Greyhounds, 42-35. 

1. You say Starkville has momentum on their side but hasn’t Tupelo had momentum on their side since week 1? Every week it seemed to be like we’ll wait til they play so and so til we see if they’re legit or not. Here they are still undefeated and defense has still done their job each week. 
2. Starkville was challenged against Grenada so yes they have been challenged since losing to Tupelo.

3. I def don’t see Tupelo’s defense giving up 38 points. 

4. Biggest thing is the prior game was at Starkville and now it’s at Tupelo. I don’t see Tupelo having a letdown in this game at home. 

I’ll take Tupelo 28-17 

4 hours ago, NoWammies said:

1. You say Starkville has momentum on their side but hasn’t Tupelo had momentum on their side since week 1? Every week it seemed to be like we’ll wait til they play so and so til we see if they’re legit or not. Here they are still undefeated and defense has still done their job each week. 
2. Starkville was challenged against Grenada so yes they have been challenged since losing to Tupelo.

3. I def don’t see Tupelo’s defense giving up 38 points. 

4. Biggest thing is the prior game was at Starkville and now it’s at Tupelo. I don’t see Tupelo having a letdown in this game at home. 

I’ll take Tupelo 28-17 

Good points. I’m just putting stuff out to try and get some talk going this week, so glad to see you respond. Most people have Tupelo the favorites, probably in the whole state, so a Starkville win would definitely be an upset. But, don’t tell them they’re the underdog. They seem to be feeding off of that. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, David said:

Good points. I’m just putting stuff out to try and get some talk going this week, so glad to see you respond. Most people have Tupelo the favorites, probably in the whole state, so a Starkville win would definitely be an upset. But, don’t tell them they’re the underdog. They seem to be feeding off of that. 

Good luck to your Hounds Friday night. Watched the replay of yalls game this past Friday night and was fun team to watch and a great game. Was first time I’ve seen y’all this year. 

48 minutes ago, NoWammies said:

Good luck to your Hounds Friday night. Watched the replay of yalls game this past Friday night and was fun team to watch and a great game. Was first time I’ve seen y’all this year. 

Fun to watch for sure. Lots of talent on both sides, but now we step up to a really good Brandon team. I still think that we can score on anybody, now to find out if we can tackle a great running back. Being at home really helps. Come see a game down here, it’s a great atmosphere!

I can’t decide who to take in either game. Tupelo is really really good. The Starkville we played is NOT the same Starkville team playing this week. They had all kinds of injuries when we matched up. They are pretty much back to full strength so it’s hard to pick a winner. This will be Tupelo’s biggest test of the season. The opposite in the South matchup. Brandon was full strength when we played early in the season but they have some key players out now. It seems like they found a spark in the second half of the Warren Central game. I think a healthy Brandon would have dominated this game but that’s just not the case now. I don’t expect a blowout in either game. 

4 hours ago, JagsFan77 said:

I can’t decide who to take in either game. Tupelo is really really good. The Starkville we played is NOT the same Starkville team playing this week. They had all kinds of injuries when we matched up. They are pretty much back to full strength so it’s hard to pick a winner. This will be Tupelo’s biggest test of the season. The opposite in the South matchup. Brandon was full strength when we played early in the season but they have some key players out now. It seems like they found a spark in the second half of the Warren Central game. I think a healthy Brandon would have dominated this game but that’s just not the case now. I don’t expect a blowout in either game. 

Noticing that you don’t have experience with Ocean Springs makes me wonder if that’s been to their advantage and will be in this matchup. All of the original 6A had crossed paths and knew personally how to match up with them. But O.S. has such a unique offense that takes a couple of series to adjust to, maybe that gives them some edge like it did against Oak Grove. Brandon comes right at you, but Ocean Springs can hit from so many angles, it’s just tough to get a handle on. 

Obviously, Tupelo is the consensus favorite, but if Starkville does indeed have enough new personnel to run things differently, they could give Tupelo a go. Two very good matchups, which is what we all want to see. 

The OS/Brandon matchup is going to be a good one. Hubbard is an amazing athlete but you can’t just focus on him. On the Brandon side they are loaded with talent. I’m going with OS at home.

In the North man Tupelo has been solid all season so I believe this could be the year for them to come to Hattiesburg 

Brandon undoubtedly played the tougher schedule than did Ocean Springs, so the best way to evaluate the two is in their common opponents. 

Brandon won 42-35.         /Clinton/         Ocean Springs won 31-13

Brandon won 36-28.     /NW Rankin/      Ocean Springs won 49-21

Brandon won 42-7.     /Hancock Cty/     Ocean Springs won 42-7

Brandon lost  25-20      /Oak Grove/       Ocean Springs won 42-25

Edited by David
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, David said:

Brandon undoubtedly played the tougher schedule than did Ocean Springs, so the best way to evaluate the two is in their common opponents. 

Brandon won 42-35.         /Clinton/         Ocean Springs won 31-13

Brandon won 36-28.     /NW Rankin/      Ocean Springs won 49-21

Brandon won 42-7.     /Hancock Cty/     Ocean Springs won 42-7

Brandon lost  25-20      /Oak Grove/       Ocean Springs won 42-25

i dont believe in comparing scores vs common opponents. games can be decided by personnel matchups, injury status, preparation, which team is peaking etc … every game is a new one. 

if prior games matter, then i can predict who will win any rematch. obviously the team who won the first game should win again if history plays a role.

that said, unless you have watched both teams play more than a few games, common opponents is probably all we have.

11 minutes ago, Tiburon said:

i dont believe in comparing scores vs common opponents. games can be decided by personnel matchups, injury status, preparation, which team is peaking etc … every game is a new one. 

if prior games matter, then i can predict who will win any rematch. obviously the team who won the first game should win again if history plays a role.

that said, unless you have watched both teams play more than a few games, common opponents is probably all we have.

I agree it's not always indicative, but it can help establish patterns.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tiburon said:

Yeah, there’s lots of factors that can make comparisons either skewed by the things you name, or by one team just maturing or the other team losing focus as the season goes on. In this case, I’ve been told all year how soft the Ocean Springs schedule is, especially in district, and rightfully so. This comparison is all I’ve got to defend that schedule since they didn’t play each other, and it does seem to at least show that O.S. can hang. Doesn’t guarantee anything, because matchups on the field may give Brandon the edge, or the weather, or any number of other factors. 

Edited by David
  • Like 1

Moss Point won the State Championship in 2000. It has been twenty-two years since a coast team has won the State.

I think Ocean Springs breaks the streak this year. They seem to have the team to do it. Brandon has been solid all year but I think for the first time 20+ years, OS will out athlete a 3A school and win this game. 

Then I believe they will win against Tupelo / Starkvegas in what will basically be a home game for them. They will have a huge advantage in crowd support at The Rock. 

But first things first. Ocean Springs 35, Brandon 27. 

It is a far cry from the OS team that came to Ray Stadium undefeated in 2007 (with chests pumped out) and then Meridian was leading 42-0 at halftime. This OS team is legit and while I like Brandon even though are a rival, I think your time has come. 

34 minutes ago, Bulldogs4 said:

Moss Point won the State Championship in 2000. It has been twenty-two years since a coast team has won the State.

I think Ocean Springs breaks the streak this year. They seem to have the team to do it. Brandon has been solid all year but I think for the first time 20+ years, OS will out athlete a 3A school and win this game. 

Then I believe they will win against Tupelo / Starkvegas in what will basically be a home game for them. They will have a huge advantage in crowd support at The Rock. 

It is a far cry from the OS team that came to Ray Stadium undefeated in 2007 (with chests pumped out) and then Meridian was leading 42-0 at halftime. This OS team is legit and while I like Brandon even though are a rival, I think your time has come. 

Down here in Ocean Springs, we like to hope that we’ve broken the mold of being a “Coast team” by defeating our nemesis last week, and by hosting this game instead of traveling. That damned Ray Stadium in Meridian is where our good teams went to die back then. 

Lots of respect and fear for this Brandon team that started the season as the consensus favorite to win 6A because of their returning players from a championship game loser. But, they have seemed less than dominant since losing some players mid season. Oak Grove and even NW Rankin matched them, and Warren Central played them tighter the second time round. Yet, they still have the experience and coaching that makes this game a toss up in my book. 

Maybe the best news for O.S. is the weather forecast of a break in the rain pregame, allowing them to use all of their weapons on offense. While it all starts with QB Hubbard, the passing threat is what opens up his running. Neutralizing the size advantage of that Bulldog defensive front is the key. Hard to rush the backfield when the QB draw is the best play. 

4 hours ago, ScaryTerry said:

Ocean Springs and Starkville…

I finally got a chance to see ocean springs and their defense is legit and get to the football fast.

Yeah, lots of speed in their backers, and more size than ever up front. Since the playoffs started, they are putting Hubbard and at least one WR in the defensive backfield on third downs. Hubbard doesn’t mind hitting, and will play safety at Bama. Still, I know that Brandon can play smash mouth, so that’s a key to the game. 

Edited by David

On 11/24/2022 at 9:26 AM, Bulldogs4 said:

I’m assuming you’re not counting picayune bad the coast as they won last year as well as 2011 and 2013. However, d’Iberville is certainly coast and they won in 2002. So it’s actually 20 instead of 22 years. A long drought indeed